to love John Lewis?

(114 Posts)
Mintyy Tue 30-Apr-13 18:39:03

I'm not, am I?

I was there today. It was flipping lovely. I unleashed my hidden materialistic self. I had a brief fantasy about what it would be like to have so much money that I could totally John Lewis my entire life.

<contented sigh>

Oh, and I bought four items.

Plus3 Tue 30-Apr-13 22:48:49

Another huge fan - Heelas was my home store as well, and we used to go to ride the bubble lifts. grin

ReturnOfEmeraldGreen Tue 30-Apr-13 22:53:19

I do love JL. They are opening a new branch in Birmingham next year and I am quite pathetically excited about it.

CointreauVersial Tue 30-Apr-13 22:54:15

GOML- you are missing out. John Lewis is the mutt's nuts.

Remember when we had all that snow, and several people were stranded overnight in the JL store by the M40 in High Wycombe? envy Lucky blighters.

CointreauVersial Tue 30-Apr-13 22:55:09

Ohhhh yes, that Monday closing thing. Twas really bizarre (and annoying).

deeplydullmnnickname Tue 30-Apr-13 22:55:18

Myroomisatip I have got an Ikon sofa, indeed I'm sitting on it now, and absolutely love it. It's sooooo comfortable. Extortionate as we had special fabrics instead of the standard ones but worth it. Just watch the wooden feet as ours were chipped on delivery and had to be replace. Obviously this being JL they dealt with it very efficiently and sent us some vouchers too.

Yes what is this outbreak of using the non-word luff. Please stop it.

IntheFrame Tue 30-Apr-13 22:55:56

I like their staff policies (from both perspectives).

I like their customer service.

I hate their store design - everything from merchandising to shop layout to store colours. Scarily bland. I can never find anything I actually want to buy in their stores - they make things look dreadful and plain.

I love JL BUT they have changed The Place to Eat in my local one and it is now crap and has quite put me off going. Apparently they have brought it in line with other JLs. <pity>

deeplydullmnnickname Tue 30-Apr-13 22:59:04

Such is the dominance of JL in our house that my ds has written stories inspired by it at school. The two main characters being John and Lewis. I do hope it made his teacher smile.

Tanith Tue 30-Apr-13 23:24:34

They used to do a magnificent Seafood Salad in the 80s, and freshly made chocolate crepes (sighs dreamily for happy, bygone days smile)

SorrelForbes Tue 30-Apr-13 23:31:01

Growing up, my local JL was Caleys in Windsor. It's now a MacDonalds hotel. My DM is not impressed.

fossil971 Tue 30-Apr-13 23:40:30

I really love John Lewis especially for their faithful provision of a haberdashery/sewing/knitting department through the lean years when nearly all the other department stores closed them down.

Sadly the new stores are a bit disappointing - I agree the lighting and displays are so neat, safe and bland they are completely devoid of personality and don't do them justice. The Highcross Leicester store should be stunning but inside it just looks dated with predictable displays of immaculately arranged Cath Kidston bags and stuff. A "JL At Home" has opened recently near us and I want to love it but they rarely have anything I want to buy and the car park is often so worryingly empty, I hope they don't end up closing. And the cafe menu is so expensive it's offputting - people round here normally want a sandwich and something child friendly, not an expensive plated prawn salad.

BreatheandFlyAway Tue 30-Apr-13 23:42:14

I used to work opposite JL in Oxford Street. My Xmas shopping was so lovely and easy in those days - it would be one lunch hour (somewhat extended blush), I would go from the top to the bottom in a highly engineered shop (from too much time spent there I knew it like back of hand) and have a spot on present for everyone on my list - no stress and lots of pleasure!

MummyPig24 Wed 01-May-13 00:56:09

It's so naice. It's so civilised. Love going to the baby section and playing with the posh prams that I can't afford and looking at the lovely clothes. The home section is great too. Oh and the crepe bar!

BookieMonster Wed 01-May-13 01:13:23

I miss JL more than most other UK shops. I came over all unnecessary when they started delivering to Oz.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now