to love John Lewis?

(114 Posts)
Mintyy Tue 30-Apr-13 18:39:03

I'm not, am I?

I was there today. It was flipping lovely. I unleashed my hidden materialistic self. I had a brief fantasy about what it would be like to have so much money that I could totally John Lewis my entire life.

<contented sigh>

Oh, and I bought four items.

hedgefund Tue 30-Apr-13 19:11:38

i like it too and find their basic pants alot better than m and s so there

MyNameIsSuz Tue 30-Apr-13 19:11:55

Oh my god Poppy I was just about to say the same! And it arrives in waitrose the next day!

XBenedict Tue 30-Apr-13 19:12:14

No YANBU he is the other man in my life grin

NoWayPedro Tue 30-Apr-13 19:13:40

I LOVE John Lewis - definitely not BU.

Such good customer service and such nice things!!!!

whataboutbob Tue 30-Apr-13 20:11:26

YANBU. It s fab, a haven in a stressy world and generally their staff love working there. But just to compete with borntobeamum, after DS2 I went in to get measured for a nursing bra. Unfortunately, I didn t get the nice mumsy experienced lady, but the 19 year old. As she measured me my breasts leaked, the baby was in the pram next to me and (no word of a lie) she asked "when's your baby due?". OK I still had my post labour belly, but that took the biscuit.

TSSDNCOP Tue 30-Apr-13 20:14:30

I want to love it, I really do. I have tried and tried.

I am like Charlie Brown going up again and again to kick the football.

And every time I land flat on my back when Lucy pulls it away.

That is my relationship with JL sad

usualsuspect Tue 30-Apr-13 20:16:29

It's too expensive for me.

LifeofPo Tue 30-Apr-13 20:17:35

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

usualsuspect Tue 30-Apr-13 20:18:55

Ours is a horrible soulless place. All white walls and glass.

LifeIsBetterInFlipFlops Tue 30-Apr-13 20:21:26

Love it too, and the fact that the employees are all partners in the business.

ChewingOnLifesGristle Tue 30-Apr-13 20:23:32

Imagine being locked in JL over a public holiday...<sigh>

I wonder if I lurked about at closing time and hid in a wardrobe I could go undiscovered.

LetsFaceTheMusicAndDance Tue 30-Apr-13 20:23:51

I was a bit meh until I watched the documentaries about it and found out that the satff get a share of the profits and the boss is only allowed to earn a set multiple of the lowest paid member of staff.

I luffs it now and it feels a bit stargely 'right on' to spend my money there rather than in,say, M&S.

i do love the craft section - dressmaking fabrics, yay!
I agree with an earlier poster about their hot food, though. Very underwhelming indeed.

LetsFaceTheMusicAndDance Tue 30-Apr-13 20:24:43

staff
strangely

What is wrong with me smile

Nelly000 Tue 30-Apr-13 20:24:45

I have visited JLP precisely 4 times (3 different stores) and had absolutely abysmal experience each and every time.

I cannot understand the big deal about them.

I do, however, rather like their Christmas adverts.

littlepeas Tue 30-Apr-13 20:31:40

I adore it and always go there first, for everything. I don't like the coffee shop though - their sandwiches look amazing but taste of nothing in my experience! I would much rather go to Pret! Our nearest JL is Solihull and I have heard that it may be switched to furniture only when the Birmingham New Street branch is opened. The thought is horrifying!

BinksToEnlightenment Tue 30-Apr-13 20:33:02

I love their shit

superbagpuss Tue 30-Apr-13 20:34:38

two things

1) my aunt used to be a voice of JL
2) when we had lots of snow one year our local JL let people sleep in the store

I love JL

SomethingOnce Tue 30-Apr-13 20:36:18

I wish JL ran the world in a sort of benign dictatorship.

NumericalMum Tue 30-Apr-13 20:37:05

I love John Lewis. Waitrose makes me so happy and I know their staff are treated like kings so I feel happy paying a teeny bit more if I have to.

Manchesterhistorygirl Tue 30-Apr-13 20:37:31

I too love JL as do the kids.

everlong Tue 30-Apr-13 20:38:13

I love JL.

Always a pleasant outing.

Abigail9580 Tue 30-Apr-13 20:39:08

Sometime when I am having a sad day I go there to cheer myself up. I just wonder around and look at all the pretty things. That's me a looser doesn't it?!smile

DontmindifIdo Tue 30-Apr-13 20:39:40

plum100 - no, never knowingly undersold - so while the stuff they do sell might be more expensive brands, for those particular brands you won't find them cheaper elsewhere within a certain radius (I can't remember what it is)

I like they are a partnership - so all staff get the same percentage bonus which is a share in the profits.

They also tend to be nice. I love their homewear department. I also love waitrose, but not the waitrose online shopping, they really need to sort that out.

Astley Tue 30-Apr-13 20:41:02

I adore JL. It is well known in my family that I'm obsesses with the place. Actually just being there makes me strangely happy <clearly a bit odd>

Wishihadabs Tue 30-Apr-13 20:41:10

love it, love it, love it. Was the first place I took both dcs on the bus. The perfect place to kill an hour or 3 between finishing work and meeting for a drink. I have even been known to get an earlier train so I can go there as it opens before meetings. love it.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now