Note: Please bear in mind that whilst this topic does canvass opinions, it is not a fight club. You may disagree with other posters but we do ask you please to stick to our Talk Guidelines and to be civil. We don't allow personal attacks or troll-hunting. Do please report any. Thanks, MNHQ.

to think dogs are too needy?

(59 Posts)
MardyBra Tue 30-Apr-13 18:14:22

Cats rule.

MERLYPUSS Wed 01-May-13 12:47:20

I cant see the point of either. Ive had both. They both make mess, demand feeding, shit in your garden, and shed hair. Dogs require walks.
Before I had kids I couldn't contemplate not having a dog. Now they are just another expense. Oh, and they smell. But then so do kids!

KellyElly Wed 01-May-13 09:16:53

My cats are needier than any dogs I know grin

Dawndonna Wed 01-May-13 07:07:00

The damn dog here is too needy. Started scratching at half three. I finally got up at five. Give him credit, he do go out and do something. But I've got an up to my ears day with different hospital appointments today, with different members of the family at differenet hospitals!

HoneyDragon Wed 01-May-13 06:49:42

Kate

It think as no one else has arrived you can assume, dogs, is the official Mumsnet stance on the subject.

HoneyDragon Wed 01-May-13 06:47:41

Are 28 kilo dogs not meant to sit on your lap, then? confused

Twattybollocks Wed 01-May-13 06:36:43

Some dogs are very needy, some aren't. Don't like cats tho, they are two faced and the best they can do (admit there are some exceptions) is cupboard love.

PariahHairy Wed 01-May-13 02:02:35

My dog is very needy, he is my shadow, apart from when I actually want him to be hmm. He tries to get in my clothes, he is exactly like another ds2.

So glad I didn't decide to have another baby, because ds2 is a bit jealous of him tbh, will race him to my lap in Sheldon "that's my spot" way grin. He is still a young puppy though.

rainbowsprite1 Wed 01-May-13 00:31:28

Cats (& hens!) here. I have 3 cats but one is very special. I have DD1 age 6 who is mildly ASD. Cat knows where all DD1's cuddly toys have to be lined up on her bed, so she sleeps in the gap made for her, when she isnt under the covers with DD1 being cuddled like a stuffed toy. I have never met a cat like it. If we ever have a rough bedtime all is OK as long as the cat is curled up with her.

LimitedEditionLady Tue 30-Apr-13 23:16:15

I love my dog,he is my furry child.
Yes they need your time and you have to be there for them but theyre the best companions and more loyal than a cat.you know the deal when you get a dog,that they need a lot of attention but to be fair i guess thats why you get one!if i didnt want to do that id just get a goldfish.

MardyBra Tue 30-Apr-13 22:46:28

Dogs are a bit stupid though, aren't they?

<runs away>

AnnaFiveTowns Tue 30-Apr-13 22:39:52

Cats seem a little bit evil. Especially those Siamese ones. I just don't trust them.

Love all dogs though!

freddiefrog Tue 30-Apr-13 22:00:23

I think I prefer my dog to be honest

He at least appears to be grateful when I feed him

Not so keen on the rolling in fox poo and dead seagulls, but he doesn't shred the couch or attempt to blind me when I have to give him a tablet

austenozzy Tue 30-Apr-13 21:45:46

I have 3 cats and a dog. IMO, dogs are best. None of your cats give a shit whether you live or die (nor mine), as long as you feed them and stroke them on their terms.

Not true of dogs; they're endlessly loyal and don't judge you in any way whatsoever. Your dog would lay down its life to protect you - show me a cat that would even bother to lift its head if you were being attacked!

Admittedly, I could do without mine rolling in fox and badger poo, or eating disgusting rotting animal carcasses, but you have to take the rough with the smooth!

digerd Tue 30-Apr-13 20:47:27

grrr independent

VenusStarr Tue 30-Apr-13 20:39:47

YANBU grin

McNewPants2013 Tue 30-Apr-13 20:38:23

My gerbils are simply the best pet to have.

dog and cat hair would drive me insane, when MIL brings the dog down it takes me an hour to vacuum my carpet.

everlong Tue 30-Apr-13 20:33:51

You obviously don't have a Siamese mardy - the neediest buggers alive.

monsterchild Tue 30-Apr-13 20:22:12

I have a cat who acts like a dog. She's very outgoing and will greet new people as they enter. She's a bit weird...

digerd Tue 30-Apr-13 19:54:13

neither has

FoundAChopinLizt Tue 30-Apr-13 19:53:17

He needs exercise, food, water, love and shelter basically.

Compared to my needs he's very straightforward smile

Sparklingbrook Tue 30-Apr-13 19:52:53

Yes cats are free to leave at any time, so they actually choose to live with you (indoor cats aside).

digerd Tue 30-Apr-13 19:51:26

I love dogs and some cats. I had a very loving cat- more loving and gentle than the dog. But there is something about a waggy tail and the joyful greeting of a dog that just melts me.

I have had over the years 2 different Lhasa Apsos, and neither have been needy. They were bred to be independant similar to a cat, and when not eating or walking, they curl up like a cat and sleep
Even sits on my lap like a cat and does not lick you like dogs tend to do.

So I have a cat I can take for walks and wags her tail smile

KingRollo Tue 30-Apr-13 19:48:23

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

ChewingOnLifesGristle Tue 30-Apr-13 19:45:25

Dogs are needy. I can't respect a needy petwink.

Cats are bloomin lovely. If they want a cuddle it's because they like you not because they need you. They don't have to love you, but if they do it's great. <wrestles back gavel>grin

BlueSkySunnyDay Tue 30-Apr-13 19:44:40

anything which stroked my face, or licked my eyebrows to get a fuss in bed would be seriously dicing with danger.....and that includes the children and DH

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now