to think dogs are too needy?

(59 Posts)
MardyBra Tue 30-Apr-13 18:14:22

Cats rule.

AngiBolen Tue 30-Apr-13 19:06:45

I looked after someones dog for a week once. It followed me round constantly with big sad eyes. It apparently needed to sleep in my bedroom. It needed regular walks and loads of fuss.

Needy doesn't come near.

BlueSkySunnyDay Tue 30-Apr-13 19:12:59

some dogs are needy - no dogs need to sleep in your bedroom, have constant attention, be fed from your plate - these are problems caused by the owner not training it properly.

Sorry I have to say YABU!

thebody Tue 30-Apr-13 19:21:51

Our younger cat has a fur lined pink basket in our bedroom but usually sleeps between me and dh. So warm and purry( cat not dh)

Both cars have baskets in our sheltered porch with fur lined blankets and in winter ( inside if really cold of course) they have hit water bottles with paw print covers!!!

I am mummy and dh is daddy.

Oh dear oh dear.

That all sounds perfectly reasonable thebody. Sparkling Cat sleeps on our bed, and will often stroke my face, or lick my eyebrows to get a fuss.

thebody Tue 30-Apr-13 19:31:30

Ah sparkling that's so sweet. They are so gorgeous.

OrbisNonSufficit Tue 30-Apr-13 19:32:31

I don't really see the point of cats. Why have a pet that doesn't want to hang out with you and will leave you at some point for someone else who has more/better food?

(I may be biased as cats give me horrible asthma)

toboldlygo Tue 30-Apr-13 19:38:04

My dogs are very, very needy. I like it that way, I don't have DC or any other responsibilities so I can give them all the time they need. We do various dog sports so they're my exercise and social life as well.

Dog #2 is on my feet right now kneading and sucking on a cushion. hmm Special creature.

YoniMeKateMumsnet (MNHQ) Tue 30-Apr-13 19:39:32

Dogs are the best <gavel>

(you can tell I really mean it as I am breaking all the rules about Mumsnet parity to post this)

diddl Tue 30-Apr-13 19:42:54

Neither my dog nor my cat need me as much as I need them.
<sobs>

BlueSkySunnyDay Tue 30-Apr-13 19:44:40

anything which stroked my face, or licked my eyebrows to get a fuss in bed would be seriously dicing with danger.....and that includes the children and DH

ChewingOnLifesGristle Tue 30-Apr-13 19:45:25

Dogs are needy. I can't respect a needy petwink.

Cats are bloomin lovely. If they want a cuddle it's because they like you not because they need you. They don't have to love you, but if they do it's great. <wrestles back gavel>grin

KingRollo Tue 30-Apr-13 19:48:23

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

digerd Tue 30-Apr-13 19:51:26

I love dogs and some cats. I had a very loving cat- more loving and gentle than the dog. But there is something about a waggy tail and the joyful greeting of a dog that just melts me.

I have had over the years 2 different Lhasa Apsos, and neither have been needy. They were bred to be independant similar to a cat, and when not eating or walking, they curl up like a cat and sleep
Even sits on my lap like a cat and does not lick you like dogs tend to do.

So I have a cat I can take for walks and wags her tail smile

Yes cats are free to leave at any time, so they actually choose to live with you (indoor cats aside).

FoundAChopinLizt Tue 30-Apr-13 19:53:17

He needs exercise, food, water, love and shelter basically.

Compared to my needs he's very straightforward smile

digerd Tue 30-Apr-13 19:54:13

neither has

monsterchild Tue 30-Apr-13 20:22:12

I have a cat who acts like a dog. She's very outgoing and will greet new people as they enter. She's a bit weird...

everlong Tue 30-Apr-13 20:33:51

You obviously don't have a Siamese mardy - the neediest buggers alive.

McNewPants2013 Tue 30-Apr-13 20:38:23

My gerbils are simply the best pet to have.

dog and cat hair would drive me insane, when MIL brings the dog down it takes me an hour to vacuum my carpet.

VenusStarr Tue 30-Apr-13 20:39:47

YANBU grin

digerd Tue 30-Apr-13 20:47:27

grrr independent

austenozzy Tue 30-Apr-13 21:45:46

I have 3 cats and a dog. IMO, dogs are best. None of your cats give a shit whether you live or die (nor mine), as long as you feed them and stroke them on their terms.

Not true of dogs; they're endlessly loyal and don't judge you in any way whatsoever. Your dog would lay down its life to protect you - show me a cat that would even bother to lift its head if you were being attacked!

Admittedly, I could do without mine rolling in fox and badger poo, or eating disgusting rotting animal carcasses, but you have to take the rough with the smooth!

freddiefrog Tue 30-Apr-13 22:00:23

I think I prefer my dog to be honest

He at least appears to be grateful when I feed him

Not so keen on the rolling in fox poo and dead seagulls, but he doesn't shred the couch or attempt to blind me when I have to give him a tablet

AnnaFiveTowns Tue 30-Apr-13 22:39:52

Cats seem a little bit evil. Especially those Siamese ones. I just don't trust them.

Love all dogs though!

MardyBra Tue 30-Apr-13 22:46:28

Dogs are a bit stupid though, aren't they?

<runs away>

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now