Note: Please bear in mind that whilst this topic does canvass opinions, it is not a fight club. You may disagree with other posters but we do ask you please to stick to our Talk Guidelines and to be civil. We don't allow personal attacks or troll-hunting. Do please report any. Thanks, MNHQ.

parking trouble - thought man was going to attack me - long

(136 Posts)
tripecity Tue 30-Apr-13 14:01:48

yes, yes, another blue badge themed thread, sorry, but I am really shaken up and not sure what to do.

This morning I drove to drop DD1 at nursery, which has double yellow lines outside. The road is quite narrow, and theres a driveway opposite, so no one parks opposite the drive so the owner can get in and out. A few parents park on the double yellows illegally to drop their kids off; I have a blue badge, so can park there.
When I got there a car had parked up just past opposite the driveway and I wanted to park in front of him, but he had only left a small space, so I did a 50 point parking manoever to get in. All the while the man sat in his car watching me and knowing I was having trouble because he was parked a foot too far forwards which would have made all the difference.

When I was parked, he opened his car door and started shouting at me that I had bumped his car twice whilst trying to park. Now I didnt feel any bumps, but accept he had no reason the lie, but this could have been avoided if he had moved a foot further back instead of choosing instead to watch me struggle. In fact had he not been parking illegally this situation would never have happened.

So I apologised unreservedly and he slammed the car door shut and cut me off, so I told him(loudly so he could hear me through the glass) he shouldnt be there anyway, he said neither should I, so I told him I had a blue badge and he didnt, so actually I could.
He then got out of the car and started shouting at me, waving his arms about, all red in the face and furious. I was worried he was going to attack me, seriously, he had lost it.

Now all this was infront of the other waiting parents, so I was really embarrest. Then even worse, when I got into the nursery, I was so shaken I burst into tears, a lot of people saw and I wanted to ground to swallow me up.

So, AIBU to be cross about this incident? I realise I must have touched his car when I was trying to park, but in my defence he shouldnt have been parked there and he wouldnt accept my apology. And AIBU to wonder how on earth I can go back day after day and face this man? It was all fluffy and lovely there and now this incident has put a really nasty taste in my mouth

unobtanium Wed 01-May-13 11:11:49

This man was being an arse and itching for a fight. Where I live people bump each other all the time, usually very cheerfully -- when you park you leave your handbrake off so others can nudge your car backwards or forwards as necessary.

Unbelievably precious (about his car) and aggressive, that man. I hope you don't see him again but if you do, do call 101 at the first hint of trouble!

If you touched him at all (and that's debatable), it was the lightest of nudges. REALLY!

Fillyjonk75 Wed 01-May-13 11:20:11

This man was being an arse and itching for a fight

So much so. I bet he was thinking about what he was going to say and working himself into a lather all the time the OP was parking.

saintmerryweather Wed 01-May-13 12:29:41

Actually someone made a good point, what if the man was disabled himself and was actually allowed to park there?

That still doesn't excuse bad manners (ie. not shunting backwards to help the OP get into the parking space), and it certainly doesn't excuse his aggressive and threatening behaviour towards her.

Plus, I assume if he had had a blue badge on display, the OP would have said so, and if he didn't, I suspect he might have been in the wrong, because you are supposed to display your blue badge if you are parking somewhere using your blue badge entitlement.

K8Middleton Wed 01-May-13 12:45:07

What if he was a Martian just come to Earth and was unaware of the High Way Code?
What if he had just been through a very difficult break up?
What if he used to be a woman?
What if he had mental health issues?
What if he is two thirds silicon?

Honestly does it matter? It doesn't excuse the behaviour. Also, since when do we not take an op at face value? I get really annoyed with all of the "but what if" posts that add nothing to an upset op. Wannabe fucking Columbos.

sobored2013 Wed 01-May-13 12:45:34

it doesnt excuse bad manners of either party.
she was trying to get into a gap she even says she was struggling to use as it was too small.
when he complained and got back into his car the OP carried on the argument.
and when the op pulled up she wouldnt have been able to see if he had a bb before she got out the car, so he would also not have had been able to see hers, he may have thought as she did, that the other was taking the piss and making like difficult for a bb holder.
he should not have shouted.
but she is also not totally innocent.

AitchTwoOhOneTwo Wed 01-May-13 14:05:11

it's true, if he also had a badge then he'd be entitled to use the space. still a bit arsey of him not to back up a bit, especially after the first time she SMASHED into his car. grin

NaturalBaby Wed 01-May-13 14:09:38

If there was no damage to his car or yours then he has no proof your car touched his at all.
He was being an idiot, hold your head up high in the knowledge that you did the right thing and he lost the plot in a childish manner in front of an audience.

Pendeen Wed 01-May-13 16:02:43

"Personally I wouldn't have give a shit about hitting his car"

I sincerely hope that is a joke, or if not then that you do not drive.

BoneyBackJefferson Wed 01-May-13 19:35:02

HoHoHoNoYouDon't
"Personally I wouldn't have give a shit about hitting his car. He was parked illegally and made it difficult for you to park where you ARE allowed to legally. I hate people like him, they think they own the f**kin road!"

If you hit a stationary car -however they are parked- you are at fault.

ReluctantlyBeingYoniMassaged Wed 01-May-13 19:38:16

He shouldn't have been parked there. He shouldn't have been so aggressive.

BUT you shouldn't have tried to park there if the space was too small.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now