parking trouble - thought man was going to attack me - long

(136 Posts)
tripecity Tue 30-Apr-13 14:01:48

yes, yes, another blue badge themed thread, sorry, but I am really shaken up and not sure what to do.

This morning I drove to drop DD1 at nursery, which has double yellow lines outside. The road is quite narrow, and theres a driveway opposite, so no one parks opposite the drive so the owner can get in and out. A few parents park on the double yellows illegally to drop their kids off; I have a blue badge, so can park there.
When I got there a car had parked up just past opposite the driveway and I wanted to park in front of him, but he had only left a small space, so I did a 50 point parking manoever to get in. All the while the man sat in his car watching me and knowing I was having trouble because he was parked a foot too far forwards which would have made all the difference.

When I was parked, he opened his car door and started shouting at me that I had bumped his car twice whilst trying to park. Now I didnt feel any bumps, but accept he had no reason the lie, but this could have been avoided if he had moved a foot further back instead of choosing instead to watch me struggle. In fact had he not been parking illegally this situation would never have happened.

So I apologised unreservedly and he slammed the car door shut and cut me off, so I told him(loudly so he could hear me through the glass) he shouldnt be there anyway, he said neither should I, so I told him I had a blue badge and he didnt, so actually I could.
He then got out of the car and started shouting at me, waving his arms about, all red in the face and furious. I was worried he was going to attack me, seriously, he had lost it.

Now all this was infront of the other waiting parents, so I was really embarrest. Then even worse, when I got into the nursery, I was so shaken I burst into tears, a lot of people saw and I wanted to ground to swallow me up.

So, AIBU to be cross about this incident? I realise I must have touched his car when I was trying to park, but in my defence he shouldnt have been parked there and he wouldnt accept my apology. And AIBU to wonder how on earth I can go back day after day and face this man? It was all fluffy and lovely there and now this incident has put a really nasty taste in my mouth

greenformica Tue 30-Apr-13 17:20:06

You shouldn't of lightly bumped his car BUT there was absolutely no need for him to go ballistic at you. Very inappropriate and rude. He sounds like a bully. Can you imagine being married to him? What a nightmare.

vivizone Tue 30-Apr-13 18:46:11

Sorry you had to go through that OP. I hope you are feeling better now. Nobody should ever feel threatened that they're going to be attacked. He is not a decent person.

BoneyBackJefferson Tue 30-Apr-13 18:46:43

I am amazed at how many people would get out of a car that has been hit once when the car that has just hit them is reversing for another go.
At least in the car you are safe.

I am also amazed at how many people seem to think that they have a right to have a go at other people and those people should just take it.

Bobyan Tue 30-Apr-13 18:57:55

You seem very keen to blame him for your inability to park.

Having a blue badge gives you the right to park in certain places, it certainly does not give you the right to drive badly.

I think I'd be pretty cross if someone hit my car twice.

loopyluna Tue 30-Apr-13 19:49:32

Why didn't he beep his horn the first time you bumped him? What sort of fool calmly sits back waiting for his car to be bashed again before reacting?!
Don't worry about it but try to get to nursery a bit earlier to find a better spot to park if possible...

AitchTwoOhOneTwo Tue 30-Apr-13 19:54:02

more to the point, why didn't he just move back a bit when you bumped him the first time? (because it didn't happen, that's why...)

SirChenjin Tue 30-Apr-13 20:07:39

Ach he was an arsehole - people who park on double yellow lines outside a school always are. I don't believe for a second you hit him twice, that kind of twunt would have no hesitation in thumping the horn and holding it down to let you know exactly what you'd done.

He was in the wrong by parking like a dick, he knew it, and so decided to go for the "you hit me" argument. Bollocks you did. Chalk it up to one of those things and try not to let it bother you. If it happens again though, just wind down your window, smile sweetly and ask him if he could move forward just a foot please and thank you please please and thank you thank you. If you wish to make 'wanker' signs beneath the window where he can't see you no-one will think any worse of you grin

If you did hit him then it was clearly only a nudge with the bumper at very low speed. You have a legal right to park there. Other parents don't. I would contact the council and get the traffic warden round to lurk at drop off time. People will soon stop parking in places that they shouldn't.

Also I think some posters have been really abrupt with the OP on this thread. You'd think shouty bloke was married to some of you with the agression shown.

"You sound very entitled actually", yes the OP is entitled to park on double yellow lines with a blue badge. hmm

I don't believe for a second that you actually hit his car.

Is he a parent of a child at the nursery OP?

edam Tue 30-Apr-13 20:25:22

I bet you didn't actually bump his car - he sounds like an aggressive tosser who was just trying to justify his rage at being caught out breaking the law.

He was a nasty man with a massive sense of entitlement and belief that he can get his own way by shouting, even when he's breaking the law. He was in the wrong, not you. I'm sure you were upset, but you need to focus on the fact that you didn't do anything wrong, he was in the wrong in the first place and made it even worse by getting aggressive and yelling at you.

edam Tue 30-Apr-13 20:26:43

Patpig, you've got the wrong end of the stick. Disabled drivers with blue badges are entitled to park on double yellows. The other guy was not.

mercibucket Tue 30-Apr-13 20:30:02

Ask yourself a question

If someone bumped into your car would you hang around waiting for the second bump or edge your car foward a bit?
Would you check your car for damage or just tell the driver off?

Bet you never touched him once, let alone twice

PatPig Tue 30-Apr-13 20:30:31

Yes I've parked on a double yellow with a blue badge, but not when someone else is in the space.

trixymalixy Tue 30-Apr-13 20:32:03

I bet you didn't bump his car either. Surely he would have got out or beepe his horn the first time?

SirChenjin Tue 30-Apr-13 20:32:13

No-one was in the space. You couldn't park a car in a space if there was already a car in it. Don't be ridiculous. The man was an arsehole on so many levels.

digerd Tue 30-Apr-13 20:32:38

He has anger problems if he went red in the face with rage. That shows a dangerous surge in his blood pressure, which could give him a stroke or heart attack.
He should get himself sorted for his own health and that of others.

HarrietSchulenberg Tue 30-Apr-13 20:33:36

If you didn't feel the bumps you quite possibly didn't bump his car. If you did, why did he not leap out at the first bump, but wait till the second? He's probably got a dented bumper that he was hoping to con you into putting right.
Just because he shouts loudly doesn't mean he's right.

AitchTwoOhOneTwo Tue 30-Apr-13 21:05:17

there's so much hate being directed at people with disabilities these days... he may have in his infinite wisdom decided that you weren't disabled enough to merit the badge/were sufficiently disabled that you shouldn't have been driving etc etc etc.

DoubleLifeIsALifeHalved Tue 30-Apr-13 21:17:39

Sounds horrible, not sure why alot of people have decided you hit his car, are a bad driver, went apeshit at him etc... I haven't got any of that from your posts!

overprotection Tue 30-Apr-13 21:18:22

PatPig is on the money here, you say he was parked "too far forward"... too far forward for what? There are no parking spaces there, it's double yellow lines. You seem to have invented in your mind some imaginary division of parking spaces amongst a place where double yellows have been placed because it's an unsuitable place for cars to park, and got confused because other people don't respect it.

Whether you have a special badge that allows you to legally park on double yellow lines or not, you can't just try to force your way into somewhere that your car doesn't fit or you don't have the driving ability to park you car in without damaging people's property. A blue badge doesn't absolve you of being considerate to other road users.

topknob Tue 30-Apr-13 21:21:36

If you had hit my car I would have gone mental at you...but then I don't illegally park so wouldn't happen.

Charming! hmm

everlong Tue 30-Apr-13 21:28:24

OP he was a twat. He should have just moved up for you.
He was in the wrong anyway as he shouldn't have even parked there. Dick.

Honestly do not worry about how you look. He was in the wrong.

toffeelolly Tue 30-Apr-13 21:34:33

Still think you would know if you bumped into someone's car, if he felt it surely you must have as well.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now