parking trouble - thought man was going to attack me - long

(136 Posts)
tripecity Tue 30-Apr-13 14:01:48

yes, yes, another blue badge themed thread, sorry, but I am really shaken up and not sure what to do.

This morning I drove to drop DD1 at nursery, which has double yellow lines outside. The road is quite narrow, and theres a driveway opposite, so no one parks opposite the drive so the owner can get in and out. A few parents park on the double yellows illegally to drop their kids off; I have a blue badge, so can park there.
When I got there a car had parked up just past opposite the driveway and I wanted to park in front of him, but he had only left a small space, so I did a 50 point parking manoever to get in. All the while the man sat in his car watching me and knowing I was having trouble because he was parked a foot too far forwards which would have made all the difference.

When I was parked, he opened his car door and started shouting at me that I had bumped his car twice whilst trying to park. Now I didnt feel any bumps, but accept he had no reason the lie, but this could have been avoided if he had moved a foot further back instead of choosing instead to watch me struggle. In fact had he not been parking illegally this situation would never have happened.

So I apologised unreservedly and he slammed the car door shut and cut me off, so I told him(loudly so he could hear me through the glass) he shouldnt be there anyway, he said neither should I, so I told him I had a blue badge and he didnt, so actually I could.
He then got out of the car and started shouting at me, waving his arms about, all red in the face and furious. I was worried he was going to attack me, seriously, he had lost it.

Now all this was infront of the other waiting parents, so I was really embarrest. Then even worse, when I got into the nursery, I was so shaken I burst into tears, a lot of people saw and I wanted to ground to swallow me up.

So, AIBU to be cross about this incident? I realise I must have touched his car when I was trying to park, but in my defence he shouldnt have been parked there and he wouldnt accept my apology. And AIBU to wonder how on earth I can go back day after day and face this man? It was all fluffy and lovely there and now this incident has put a really nasty taste in my mouth

You ran into his car?

Annunziata Tue 30-Apr-13 14:07:50

Er, you ran into his car. He shouldn't have lost his temper, though, that must have been horrible. Have a cup of tea and put it down to experience.

HoHoHoNoYouDont Tue 30-Apr-13 14:08:10

Personally I wouldn't have give a shit about hitting his car. He was parked illegally and made it difficult for you to park where you ARE allowed to legally. I hate people like him, they think they own the f**kin road!

gallifrey Tue 30-Apr-13 14:08:52

regardless of if you bumped his car he completely overreacted so much he made you cry? What an arsehole sad

huge hugs xx

AitchTwoOhOneTwo Tue 30-Apr-13 14:09:29

meh, that's what bumpers are for.

Callisto Tue 30-Apr-13 14:09:56

So you reversed into his car and then told him it was his fault for parking there in the first place? I would have been angry too. Next time choose a parking space that you can actually get your car into.

And it's NOT his fault that he parked too far forward. It IS his fault that he was parked on a double yellow and that he shouted.

But you hit his car.

Picturesinthefirelight Tue 30-Apr-13 14:11:17

That's horrible. So what if you accidentally ran into his car. You didn't do it deliberately, he was illegally parked and you did the correct thing apologising.

I've had people run into my car and my attitude to them was, never mins that's what your insurance is for.

AitchTwoOhOneTwo Tue 30-Apr-13 14:11:52

not hit, touched. if it had been 'hit', he doesn't sound like he'd have waited around for the second one to land.

You shouldn't have mouthed off at him loudly so he could hear and then he wouldn't have "lost it"

HoHoHoNoYouDont Tue 30-Apr-13 14:13:24

I wonder if you had damaged his car would he have been able to claim off insurance considering he was parked illegally? Would be interesting to know.

Chopchopbusybusy Tue 30-Apr-13 14:14:19

It doesn't sound like he even checked if there was any damage. He sounds like an arse. As aitch says that's what bumpers are for. Ignore him if you see him again.

GladbagsGold Tue 30-Apr-13 14:14:23

I don't believe him. 'Bumped it twice?' Why would you stay sitting in your car if someone had really just bumped it once?

MaxPepsi Tue 30-Apr-13 14:14:25

First things first, I'd bet my life on it that you didn't even touch his car once let alone twice.

You would have felt it, no matter how slight the non existant bump was.

He's being a twat.

YANBU to be upset. I'd forget all about it. You don't need to do anything.

tripecity Tue 30-Apr-13 14:14:37

I didnt run into his car, the space was tight and I did the best I could to park, but apparently I bumped his car twice in the process (which I didnt feel)

Thanks, I am still all shook up. He did over react imo. I'm just cross I wasnt able to control my tears till I was out of there. I wonder what exactly he wanted me to do apart from not bump into his car

Last thing he bellowed was 'go on, call the police then' and I was sorely tempted but I dont want ongoing nastiness at nursery

TheChaoGoesMu Tue 30-Apr-13 14:15:32

Well you did hit his car. Yes he shoudn't have been there, and no he shouldn't have shouted, but you hit his car twice. And then told him he shouldn't be parked there after doing that shock. You sound as though you were pretty aggressive in your manner too.

Dahlen Tue 30-Apr-13 14:15:59

Two separate incidents. The car parking bump is one, the intimidating behaviour is another. The former will simply be a civil matter - a case of insurance details if warranted. The latter is actually a criminal offence.

This wasn't a road traffic collision in which people have been badly scared and emotion spills over. This was a minor incident. There are no mitigating circumstances for the man's behaviour. A reasonable person would have been annoyed but not raging.

Hope you feel better soon.

AitchTwoOhOneTwo Tue 30-Apr-13 14:16:11

don't sweat it, OP, the man sounds like a horrible bully.

gallifrey Tue 30-Apr-13 14:16:54

you say there were people there watching? Would they say if you bumped his car or not?

Seriously. Chalk it up and let it go.

It's another one of those ones where words are everything - you say bumped, he says ran into, someone else says touched.

And don't mouth off the next time, blue badge or not. Because he only "lost it" once you shouted at him.

TheChaoGoesMu Tue 30-Apr-13 14:17:30

I hit someones car when I was parking the other day. I didn't feel the bump at all, but the man showed me the mark on his car and the mark on mine. I did hit it, it is entirely possible to do this and not feel it.

tripecity Tue 30-Apr-13 14:18:36

freddie - he opened his door to shout abuse at me, didnt get out then slammed it whilst I was apologising, so I was completely within my rights to tell him he was parking illegally. And just so you know I wasnt yelling like a fishwife and he opened his door whilst I was saying it and jumped out telling me to call the police

Try parking without hitting his car the next time then.

MaxPepsi Tue 30-Apr-13 14:25:56

Who says OP hit his car apart from him?

She says she didn't. He says she did.

So far no indication from the OP to say anyone saw the cars touch each other and no indication that twat man even checked his car.

I'd check my car if I thought someone had it.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now