Note: Please bear in mind that whilst this topic does canvass opinions, it is not a fight club. You may disagree with other posters but we do ask you please to stick to our Talk Guidelines and to be civil. We don't allow personal attacks or troll-hunting. Do please report any. Thanks, MNHQ.

I think I am a bit, but DIY...

(36 Posts)

...we had an extension built last year. All work finished on time and to good standard. Dh, who is good at this sort if thing, is doing all the decorating, tiling, plumbing in, etc. It will save us a fortune and he is a perfectionist, so it gets done to his exacting standards.

Therein lies my problem; dh's perfectionist streak is adding, IMO, months onto the project. Everything he does looks great, but it's been 8 months since the builders left, no one has moved into their new rooms, dh gave me and everyone an unrealistic end date for the project (4 months have passed since his predicted end date and we are nowhere near completion) and I am fed up with people asking, 'Is it all done yet?' The entire house looks a tip, half of the dc's stuff is stashed away and Ds has no space to call his own.

AIBU to be close to eye-rolling and despair at the lack of progress? Dh is doing it all in his spare time and working very hard...I just wish he'd bloody hurry up, not re-do things the builders had done already, not buy furniture and then decide he can't put it together because he doesn't like it and when I suggest solutions say, 'I don't know,' and leave the furniture parts propped up.

You would be within reason to suggest I help him, if it's bugging me so much. I have offered and been turned down.

I know it's a first-world problem, I know it'll get done eventually, but I am bit fed up at the moment.

freddiefrog Tue 30-Apr-13 22:04:52

YANBU

I am the daughter of an engineer. Perfectionist doesn't quite cover it, it takes weeks of planning to put a shelf up. There's no point getting a man in as it won't be good enough

My mum got fed up after 8 years of waiting for the coving in their kitchen to be put up, she got a man in, it wasn't good enough so my dad took it down again. 2 years later she's given up on coving

quoteunquote Wed 01-May-13 12:17:44

snagging list - a list of every single individual job (however big or small) in each space to be done,

You should have one on the go all the time during a job, it really helps make the work far more efficient.

You need a snagging list in order to write up your order of works, or you will be totally inefficient.

Right, I will get snagging!

OP I feel your pain. My OH never seems to finish a job off and he's not even a perfectionist just very optimistic and over confident with both his abilities and how long things take.

When I got pregnant he decided we needed to convert the loft, I begged, pleaded and cried for him not to do it but he kept telling me how it would be a piece of piss and would be done on time. I'm 31 weeks. The house is a building site, it is not even nearly done, there is no way any of it will be ready before the baby. Nor is the garden useable even though he started that project two years ago, the kitchen tiles he put up 10 months ago aren't finished...you get the picture.

All I wanted to do was give a couple of rooms a lick of paint before the baby arrived! Would dearly love to kill him and bury him under the patio slabs...which still haven't been pointed even though after me nagging he got a man in to lay them TWO years ago then said he would just finish them off himself...

NoSquirrels Wed 01-May-13 22:01:51

Surely you have other unfinished rooms that can used as the 'workroom' for the shower room? (That's a lot of rooms in one sentence, there.)

I'm sure they'll be less convenient, but they'll be fine to use, won't they? WON'T THEY?

i would be issuing ultimatums, along with the snagging list. "DH, the shower room must be completed by X date, or I will be ordering the carpet anyway."

And yes, living in a state of disarray for the majority of a year is hideous, so YANBU.

andubelievedthat Wed 01-May-13 22:50:31

you"ve got my x-fella! "I am going to completely revamp the bathroom darling ,(he said) sunken bath ,lowered ceilings install shower ,ext. fan etc, you pop of to your mum"s for the weekend as the toilet pan ,along with all else is being re sited ,so I did ,ha, 18 months later !agreed it was a superb job he did ,like every job he did was the best ,7 years in that flat 7 years of him improving it ,he even landscaped the back garden(massive ) sorted the entire roof and downpipes,and painted all the stairway ! the unstoppable diy x !

NoSquirrels, the other rooms are our two actual bedrooms. I'm doing my best to keep them unaffected until dh starts redecorating them.

I said today I was going to order carpet, so hopefully that will move things along. I do not have an official snagging list, but as a guess I give you:

Shower room
Fit shower to pipes
Fit shower cabinet
Fix toilet and sink fittings to pipes
Assemble cabinets
Fit cabinets
Buy roller blind
Fit roller blind
Fit towel rail
Buy wall cabinet
Assemble wall cabinet
Hang wall cabinet
Fix door, which builders knackered and which dh thinks he can fix
Fit door
Fit door handles
Switch on underfloor heating (may be some connecting required here)
Remove tonnage of crap from bedroom

Bedroom
Buy correct IKEA wardrobe
Assemble IKEA wardrobe
Choose carpet
Order carpet
Get carpet fitted (by professionals, praise be!)
Dismantle bed
Cart bed upstairs
Reassemble bed
Buy new mattress, from somewhere that will collect old mattress.
Empty drawer units
Disassemble drawer units
Cart drawer units upstairs
Reassemble drawer units
Make possible 2nd excursion to IKEA and all that this entails.
Install selves in bedroom!

Then we start on dd's room, then Ds', then finish their bathroom (mainly cosmetic stuff), then hall landing and stairs, including prepping and painting a lot of woodwork. Then the study (dh's room - he can take as long as he likes, if he's tidy!) Finally there are all the 'make good the tatty bits elsewhere' jobs.

Remind me not to suggest any more home improvements!

Oh god the list is endless, he must be overwhelmed.
Kill him and hire someone with the insurance money. grin

Kiwiinkits Fri 03-May-13 02:29:15

Gosh there's a lot on that list that you can do, isn't there!? How exciting wink
I'm thinking roller blinds, wardrobe, carpet, mattress, wall cabinet. Easy stuff. That don't need to involve him. No get thee to IKEA!

Lilypad34 Fri 03-May-13 06:15:48

I got really fed up of dhs procrastination so I took a tin of paint and I did a really half arsed job on one wall, dh returned home from work was horrified and rectified my awful attempt! I then waited until he'd gone to work and had new floors put down. Our home is a million times better and everyone is happy. grin

Lilypad, I like your style.

Squinkies, that made me laugh out loud.

I shall get on with some of my stuff. Unfortunately it will all get covered in dh's constant cloud of dust, but it might prompt him to hurry up if I start piling up my acquisitions.

Even Ds is nagging him now. Funny, because I don't. Ds has not got this from me, he is simply fed up in his own right. With good reason: the child hadn't been able to access most of his toys for almost a year. Also he is a neat freak and has to share his sister's bedroom. She is explosively untidy.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now