to think my child having lots of energy doesn't mean she has ADHD?

(22 Posts)
Dawndonna Wed 01-May-13 05:42:44

My dd is known at school for her good manners and sense of fun. She's also known because she needs more than three instructions written down. Constant organising and reminders, help to stay on task, gentle reminders not to interrupt, extra lessons to enforce what is being done in the main lesson. She sleeps with the help of melatonin. She was diagnosed at six. She's sixteen now. She has never been rude, aggressive or difficult to manage at school. Home is on occasion, a different matter, but as I said, she's sixteen!

HenrySugar Wed 01-May-13 01:56:45

OP please try not to worry. So what if she does have ADHD? (not saying she does obviously) If it's not causing a problem then just carry on as you are.

We have been backwards and forwards with the same question about my ds who is 10. I'm now at the stage where I think it doesn't matter and he is who he is. He is also very active, and a bit dreamy. He behaves well in school, but comes out of school like a coiled spring, talks non-stop all the way home then needs a big run around outside to counteract all the sitting still and being quiet he's had to do all day.

shellandkai Tue 30-Apr-13 22:11:20

I've been told this many times by my sil as my sons cousin is quite laid back etc compared to my son my partner has a cousin who has ADHD and he actually pointed out the best way to tell is to see if the can actually sit for more than 10 minutes and concentrate then you child is fine hope that that helps grin

FanjoForTheMammaries Tue 30-Apr-13 09:45:29

She just sounds healthy and energetic to me.

lljkk Tue 30-Apr-13 09:30:14

some kids with ADHD are quite well behaved (they're nicely away with the fairies smile ).

I think a lot of people interchange ADHD with hyperactive with energetic. Don't worry about it on its own.

HollyBerryBush Tue 30-Apr-13 07:24:57

Don't make the assumption ADHD is linked to poor behaviour. Sometimes it is but it isn't a label for bad behaviour either.

LooseyMy Tue 30-Apr-13 07:18:49

My seven year old son is very similar! He did two hours of football training on Monday, plus after school club, and was still raring to go at 8.30am! Like your daughter, he can sit still if needed and is very good in class. He's just a bundle of energy! He goes to after school club almost every day which he really needs just to wear him out!

Amykins35 Tue 30-Apr-13 07:15:49

Thank you, she is great and I wouldn't change a thing about her. The ADHD comment has been made a few times but never in school - she has astrong respect for authority and behaves very well there but does seem to be more hyperactive after school than at a weekend - like she's making up for lost time for having been quiet and still all day!

Finola1step Tue 30-Apr-13 00:31:31

Amy your dd sounds like a lovely, active, fun little girl who is behaving exactly within normal expectations for a 5 year old. I am no expert but I have a five year old ds myself and have been teaching in primary schools for 18 years (much of that teaching 4-7 year olds). Your dd sounds like a child that I would love to have in my class if I was still class teaching. So many children simply veg out in front if the TV or play endless computer games.

I take it that it is only the comment from this woman that has hit you wondering. Any concerns at school? Has her teacher said anything?

Amykins35 Mon 29-Apr-13 22:31:52

She's 5.

Finola1step Mon 29-Apr-13 22:30:24

Amy how old is your dd?

Amykins35 Mon 29-Apr-13 22:20:55

Hmm she does interrupt a lot. She'll also ask to do something, then 20 seconds later ask to do something else for a good few minutes without waiting for any kind of response from me. She does fidget constantly too but is super aware of danger and very careful

noblegiraffe Mon 29-Apr-13 22:09:18

Your OP about her still being awake at 9pm just reminded me of this article I read the other day about how lack of sleep might be misdiagnosed as ADHD

www.nytimes.com/2013/04/28/opinion/sunday/diagnosing-the-wrong-deficit.html?pagewanted=all&_r=0

hettie Mon 29-Apr-13 22:09:01

as all the other posters have said (and just to confirm yanbu grin) ADHD has bugger all to do with 'energy'.... So the dotty old bat can keep her cod psychology theories to herself (sigh).

TigerSwallowTail Mon 29-Apr-13 22:03:21

ADHD isn't just having lots of energy, I'm sure if there were other issues you would have noticed by now. My sons dad regularly gives 6year old DS a choice about when to go to bed when he visits him, he's stayed up all night and not went to bed until the next night before, and other times stays up until the sun comes up. He doesn't have ADHD either.

FarBetterNow Mon 29-Apr-13 22:02:42

I have a grand daughter like your daughter.
She has loads of energy, but she is a bit like a puppy, she does need exercise or she sort of becomes loud and very silly.
Long walks and bike rides don't tire her out, but she sleeps well and is fine at school.

Just keep giving your DD exercise and she'll be fine.

I would think ADHD is partly not being able to concentrate enough.
I apologise if I'm wrong about that.

ProtegeMoi Mon 29-Apr-13 22:02:23

ADHD isn't just about lots of energy.

My son has ADHD and he literally cannot sit still for even a second, he is very distractable so with him it would be "can we take the dog for a walk?", "ooh what's that over there", "I hurt myself", "are we taking the dog?" All within 2 minutes.

He also lacks impulse control so if he spots something in the road he runs to it, no thought of cars that might be coming etc.

It's so much more than being hyperactive.

Euphemia Mon 29-Apr-13 22:00:52

Do any of these ring true?

"The symptoms of ADHD in children and teenagers are well defined. The main symptoms of each behavioural problem are detailed below.

Inattentiveness
The main symptoms of inattentiveness are:
a short attention span
being easily distracted
making careless mistakes, for example in schoolwork
appearing forgetful or losing things
being unable to stick at tasks that are tedious or time consuming
being unable to listen to or carry out instructions
being unable to concentrate
constantly changing activity or task
having difficulty organising tasks

Hyperactivity
The main symptoms of hyperactivity are:
being unable to sit still, especially in calm or quiet surroundings
constantly fidgeting
being unable to settle to tasks
excessive physical movement
excessive talking

Impulsiveness
The main symptoms of impulsiveness are:
being unable to wait for a turn
acting without thinking
interrupting conversations
little or no sense of danger

If your child has ADHD, their symptoms usually become noticeable before the age of seven, with a diagnosis usually made between the ages of three and seven."

Finola1step Mon 29-Apr-13 21:58:50

She does sound like she has lots of energy and.. Your dd sounds like a fit and healthy little girl. How lovely that she enjoys walking to school, walking the dog, playing outside etc rather than being sat indoors watching the box.

Are her listening and concentration skills in line with expectations for her age? Does she follow instructions ok? Are you worried about her?

Sounds like to me an extreme example of someone saying something without having the knowledge of the impact of their words.

ramblingmum Mon 29-Apr-13 21:54:07

DD1 is 6y and like this. Always full of energy. But I am sure that it is not ADHD as she is doing fine at school and can concentrate well when she needs to. ADHA isn't just about lots of energy.

MammaTJ Mon 29-Apr-13 21:53:37

Staying up when given a choice does not mean ADHD. My DD stays awake whether given a choice or not.

If she settles when she should settle, then she is fine. Trust what you think!!

Amykins35 Mon 29-Apr-13 21:50:19

We see a lady walking to school most mornings, we also saw her tonight when walking the dog. She commented that she always sees DD with so much energy and that her same aged grandchildren were in bed by 6pm and perhaps my DD should be checked for ADHD. It isn't the first time someone has commented on her energy levels but I think it's just the way she is and has always been. Today she woke at 7.15, we walked 2 miles to school, after school we went to the park for an hour, walked home, she went to Rainbows then played on the trampoline for half hour while I cooked tea. After tea she asked if we could take the dog for a walk, which we did for probably 1.5 miles. Then we came home, read stories to each other, brushed teeth etc but was still dancing round her room and full of beans at 9pm. When she's given the choice of when to go to bed ((like when we went to a wedding) she didn't say she was tired til midnight despite having been up since 8. AIBU to think she just has lots of energy or is ADHD a possibility and I'm being naive?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now