Note: Please bear in mind that whilst this topic does canvass opinions, it is not a fight club. You may disagree with other posters but we do ask you please to stick to our Talk Guidelines and to be civil. We don't allow personal attacks or troll-hunting. Do please report any. Thanks, MNHQ.

About food banks- just a bit surprised really

(382 Posts)
topbannana Mon 29-Apr-13 21:21:35

I have just come across a notice in the paper from church, appealing for donations for the local food bank.
Thankfully I have never had need for a food bank but I think they are a great idea and I was happy to buy extra and donate.
The list however was quite specific (understandable) but I was amazed to see requests for custard, rice pudding, biscuits and sugar. In my book these would be considered luxuries, in that if I was short on my grocery budget we would forego them.
Surely the food bank is there to supply people with emergency essentials not extras? As it goes I will simply buy loo rolls, pasta, powdered milk or something else off the list and ignore the bits I don't agree with. I don't really think I am but AIBU?

BriansBrain Mon 29-Apr-13 21:40:48

I agree with many of these posts. When we are having last week before payday blues I concentrate on puddings on top of home made basic sop and cheap rolls for the children and as said above a cup of tea and biscuits for me or a bowl of cereal.

Agel delight is also good because its made with milk and tins of mandarins.

Can you imagine that the best point in your day is picking up from the food bank and your DC delving in to see if there are any treats?

LittleEsme Mon 29-Apr-13 21:40:54

IceLollycraving - try your local Church or Chapel? They may have a donation box.

quoteunquote Mon 29-Apr-13 21:40:59

hmm

groundhog day?

OP goads and leaves.

or journalists looking for pre election MN sound bites,

either way 0/10

no style, no originality, not even amusing.
yawn smiley

exoticfruits Mon 29-Apr-13 21:42:30

There was a woman with a baby on TV the other night, she had a short time where she was living on rice and she got a food bank parcel - it was a lifesaver and the thing that really cheered her up was getting chocolate. She is now back at work and earning enough to buy food but I'm sure that the chocolate did her a power of good. Workhouses were grim- I don't think we want to get back to that attitude. YABU.
People also donate whatever they want- if they want to give biscuits it is their choice.

TeamEdward Mon 29-Apr-13 21:42:51
SlowlorisIncognito Mon 29-Apr-13 21:45:14

I think most food banks do try to be nutritionally balanced. The thing is that a nutritionally balanced diet does contain carbohydrates. Rice pudding and custard will help fill people up, which is good if they do not have much food. Biscuits can be used for a burst of energy if there is not much sugar in the diet.

Tbh, I think sugar is a staple food not a luxury, as it is used in all kinds of baking, including for example making bread- which may be cheaper for the family than buying from the supermarket, and home made bread is obviously nutritionally better than the cheaper supermarket breads.

Viviennemary Mon 29-Apr-13 21:45:42

I think YABU. Sugar and biscuits are hardly total luxuries. Nor is custard.-

Jinsei Mon 29-Apr-13 21:45:46

Thank you, OP. Your post has inspired me to go and buy a load of "treats" with my next shop to donate to the local food bank.

It's bad enough that people are being forced into the position of needing foodbanks. Why the he'll shouldn't they have a few small treats? hmm

BlackeyedSusan England Mon 29-Apr-13 21:46:28

custard and rice pudding are filling and have some milk in. also they do not take much heating up and use little power.

how do you know that they have not been forgoing "luxuries" to get to this state already?

Ruprekt Mon 29-Apr-13 21:47:15

I agree with you OP.

If I cannot afford it then I do not buy it.

I would have thought food banks were for emergencies only too.

exoticfruits Mon 29-Apr-13 21:47:52

I have been putting in things like pasta and cereal, I shall now add some treats,so thank you OP.

ohforfoxsake Mon 29-Apr-13 21:48:12

They are on the bottom of the list which goes out with the box. Its on the 'included if we have them'.

Tinned puds are the one thing we are short of.

Asda deliver to our local foodbank so you can order online.

oh dear god.....

BlackeyedSusan England Mon 29-Apr-13 21:48:58

hobnobs, don't know why you are complaining about demented... hobnobs are luxuries too, now bugger off.... grin

smile

OliviaMMumsnet (MNHQ) Mon 29-Apr-13 21:50:04

Evening all

expatinscotland Mon 29-Apr-13 21:50:09

YABU! FFS. Then don't donate them.

TeamEdward Mon 29-Apr-13 21:50:36

One of the Tressell foodbanks recently provided a food box for a mum who had eaten nothing for 4 days, except for dog biscuits, because she fed her children the only food in the house.

FullOfChoc Mon 29-Apr-13 21:50:41

Yabu, I agree with previous posters,much better to send them some money as they can get much more for the money if they buy things wholesale in bulk.

Blimey! that got a very angry response! Custard and rice pudding fair enough, but I'm not sure I'd go for biscuits - no nutritional value and they don't even give you a decent sugar rush unless you eat the whole packet! Cake much better smile

hurricanewyn Mon 29-Apr-13 21:52:49

Evening Olivia.

exoticfruits Mon 29-Apr-13 21:53:05

I hate the idea that you just send money. It is very simple in the supermarket to buy something extra and put it in a box.

topbannana Mon 29-Apr-13 21:53:17

Wow, seems IABU blush
Funnily enough I had considered character spaghetti as a treat but not puddings. As a child we rarely had pudding and it was considered a real treat which I think is why I was surprised to see it on the list.
And I do think food banks are a great idea, given the fact that they are so in demand they clearly fulfill a need (and the fact that there is a need is wrong in a modern society)
Anyway, comments taken on board and judgey pants unhoiked smile

Flobbadobs Mon 29-Apr-13 21:53:20

Jesus Christ TeamEdward I really hope they put her some luxuries in!

TeamEdward Mon 29-Apr-13 21:54:07

Hi Olivia. Would you like a not for poor people biscuit ?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now