Note: Please bear in mind that whilst this topic does canvass opinions, it is not a fight club. You may disagree with other posters but we do ask you please to stick to our Talk Guidelines and to be civil. We don't allow personal attacks or troll-hunting. Do please report any. Thanks, MNHQ.

About food banks- just a bit surprised really

(382 Posts)
topbannana Mon 29-Apr-13 21:21:35

I have just come across a notice in the paper from church, appealing for donations for the local food bank.
Thankfully I have never had need for a food bank but I think they are a great idea and I was happy to buy extra and donate.
The list however was quite specific (understandable) but I was amazed to see requests for custard, rice pudding, biscuits and sugar. In my book these would be considered luxuries, in that if I was short on my grocery budget we would forego them.
Surely the food bank is there to supply people with emergency essentials not extras? As it goes I will simply buy loo rolls, pasta, powdered milk or something else off the list and ignore the bits I don't agree with. I don't really think I am but AIBU?

Darkesteyes Wed 01-May-13 00:26:14

Yes, it is your responsibility to attend interviews, training and job experience (paid or unpaid

What for people like fucking Poundland so they can get out of paying a decent wage?

Urbane biscuit biscuit biscuit

Indeed Darkest. The govt already subsidise business paying low wages through WTC. Now they will just hand over jobseekers to work for nothing. Struggling to see where businesses are being forced to stand or fall on their own success.

Urbane, sincr you're clearly so good at motivational speeches, come and talk to a friend of mine who works 35 hours a week in a low paid job, she can't work anymore hours due to having to be there for her severely, almost terminally,' ill partner and disabled child...who walks an hour each way to work each day just so she can spend the bus fare on food for her 4 children, who when I saw her last week was eating spoons of fucking condiments from the back of the cupboard so her children and partner could eat proper food and she can't afford to feed them all and who is barely surviving because if she can't make rent again then they are all homeless

But that's cool, I'll just tell her to take more responsibility for her life

And Urbane, do you not grasp the concept of national insurance contributions?we pay those when in work...and draw them out when not. it is not money for nothing.

MusicalEndorphins Wed 01-May-13 00:39:38

UrbaneLandlord well, that goes without saying and who says they do not make efforts. That was not the OP's topic. The topic was why were some sugary items on the food bank wanted items list.

IneedAsockamnesty Wed 01-May-13 00:42:07

What the actual fuck is that post doing on this thread???

Do you know what compassion actually means.

Do you also know that one of the largest groups helped out by food banks are working people on the NMW.

closely followed by families with a disabled household member many of whom are also working.

Before you post again go and learn something about the thing your scorning because such uneducated incorrect bigoted viewpoints are usually only held by very stupid people.

It's absolutely disgusting that we need foodbanks and projects like TSC, Custardo and others have mentioned. People should be able to manage to feed themselves and their kids on either their wage, or their benefit. The fact that they can't shows a real need for a DECENT wage and DECENT help for those on benefits.

That said, I am glad that foodbanks and projects have been set up because whilst we all know what the ideal is, we have to face facts. I'm not loaded by any means, but I can afford an extra fiver a week on my shopping budget to spend on foodbanks items-some practical, some more treat like. Thanks OP you've inspired me smile

ICBINEG Wed 01-May-13 01:09:05

I think urban's post is lovely...what is lovely about it is that in nearly 300 posts of compassion it stands so utterly alone.

Thanks for this reminder to DO something to help people who find themselves up shit creak unexpectedly this month.

WafflyVersatile Wed 01-May-13 01:16:11

urbane Where do you stand on people's responsibilities not be ignorant, hateful arseholes?

Do you know what? I work for a union and go round chatting to members. The majority of our members are low paid women. Some of these women are working full time and have a partner also working full time. But they've had a pay freeze for (at least) 3 years (we are public sector) and so their money is worth 16-18% less than 3 years ago. Their bills, food, petrol, clothing costs etc have all risen every year and now they are struggling. I have members who can not afford school uniform for their kids. Who can't repair the boiler. We have a charity for members-all means tested etc. applications are up by about 140%

The answer is not as simple as 'get a job'. Oh how I wish it was!

Cross posted with quite a few (thank god, with friends I am the lone voice, with mumsnetters you lot get it!) smile

mrsjay Wed 01-May-13 08:25:31

urbanelandlord what are you even saying I really hope you never find your self in a shitty lowpaid job like many manyfine people find themselves in , cos your mighty government wount give a shiney shite about you ,

OP I am sorry thanks I was rude to you and i am pleased you have had a change of heart

PunkHedgehog Wed 01-May-13 09:58:05

Yes, it is your responsibility to, perhaps, get a "rubbish" minimum-wage job and maybe stick at it for months or years (like many fine people do).

There are currently just under half a million job vacancies in this country. There are just over 2.5 million people officially unemployed. There are also almost 7 million people 'underemployed' (part time work, zero hours contracts etc. that often add up to nowhere near a living wage). The most elementary mathematics will show that even in the most perfect scenario of every unemployed person being both qualified to do and in the same part of the country as one of the vacancies, we still have a massive problem.

Obviously you are little hard of thinking, so let me help with the maths:

2,500,000 unemployed
+7,000,000 underemployed
9,500,000 looking for a job (or to upgrade to a full time job)

9,500,000 wanting jobs
-500,000 jobs
7,000,000 still un or underemployed

And that's ignoring all those people who are in full time jobs but still can't pay the bills because inflation has overtaken their wages.

Yes, it is your responsibility to travel 10s of miles for a job (like many fine people do).

And if you live in a village with no public transport (or the job doesn't pay enough to cover the bus fare), and can't afford to run a car, or buy a bike - what then? Or if you have a disability that makes travel difficult

urban I think you are missing the point the majority of people who use foodbanks are working. Take NMW with huge private rent bills and childcare, there is nothing left for food.

I'm lucky that I've never needed to use a foodbank but only because we have family who help. We are one big bill away from disaster.

TSC I'll second the PP who said speak to your local ASDA that is what community life is all about. Good Luck! grin

cozietoesie Wed 01-May-13 10:08:59

I'm going to my local ASDA this morning. I've never seen a tin bin there (although they have a CPL one which I donate to.) I'll have a look around and ask if there's not. Thanks for the suggestion.

melika Wed 01-May-13 10:53:01

I am sceptical of food banks, I would love to see the real poverty these people endure.

When I was little in the 70's and 80's, we didn't always have these items in our home. We ate leftovers, haslet not ham,bread and ketchup, cups of bovril etc. Would these people have never been to McDs? Tell me?

infamouspoo Wed 01-May-13 11:08:39

some sort of weird voyeur melika? hmm

MrsDeVere Wed 01-May-13 11:12:53

And the people in the 20s would have have been sceptical if you had pleaded poverty on that diet melika

Ketchup? When my eldest two were little in the early 90s I couldn't afford Ketchup or Bovril for that matter.

I was very poor. Poor enough to remember what it was like not to be able to feed myself and my kids.

Hence my willingness to support foodbanks now.

melika Wed 01-May-13 11:13:02

What I am saying is the food should be distributed to hostels, shelters etc. Social workers know the people who really need it.

exoticfruits Wed 01-May-13 11:15:48

People are referred- you can't just turn up!
Most of the need isn't in hostels and shelters.

MrsDeVere Wed 01-May-13 11:16:03

No they don't.
Being poor does not make you a social service's case.
Do you think social services have got the resources to set up a child in need plan for every family who are skint.

Families don't always live in hostels, not yet. You can live in a house and be hungry.

Children shouldn't be living in shelters ffs.

melika Wed 01-May-13 11:17:26

OMG mrsdevere are you saying ketchup is a luxury? 28p Tescos value range!

I was brought up on stews, beans on toast, corned beef slices and two veg, Jam sandwiches etc.

WafflyVersatile Wed 01-May-13 11:20:14

These people don't have left overs!

MrsDeVere Wed 01-May-13 11:21:43

Oh the irony.

Are you saying ham is a luxury whilst talking about your jam and ketchup?

Do you allow your brain to process your thoughts before you spill them out onto the internet?

melika- if its a choice between a value loaf of bread or a bottle of value ketchup, then yes, ketchup is a luxury.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now