Pre-school and painting without protection. AIBU?

(70 Posts)
KansasCityOctopus Mon 29-Apr-13 17:35:41

Going to go on MN consensus with this one, because i cant decide if i'm being unreasonable to be annoyed, and if i should say something or not.

DD attends Pre-school attached to Primary. School Uniform is optional.

I choose not to put DD in uniform for various reasons, some personal, some practical - its more expensive to replace if it gets ruined.

Sent DD in today, and when i picked her up, she was COVERED in black paint, it was all over her jumper.. its quite obvious she's been allowed to paint without using an apron. Its stained, and i've washed it 3 times today, stuff isnt coming out!

Now.. my DS attended reception last year, the preschool and reception share an art area, and i know the rules are they aren't supposed to touch the paints without an apron.

AIBU to complain about the state of her clothes? She's only had that jumper a few weeks, and while it was bought for nursery, i didnt expect it to get ruined with black paint.. the usual mud and pen/ink/food she comes home covered in washes out! also annoyed because they didnt say anything, just handed her to me with her coat on and zipped up so i didnt discover it until we got home.

I think i'd be even more peeved if it had been one of the expensive uniform jumpers/t-shirts.

I know theres nothing the school can do now, its done, not like i'm about to ask them to cough up the six quid to replace it... but its the principal iyswim?

thermalsinapril Mon 29-Apr-13 23:30:00

You could ask them "what sort of apron was she wearing today?" and see what they say.

CSIJanner Mon 29-Apr-13 22:24:03

YANBU - LO2 was supposed to do painting at nursery last week but refused the pinny so didn't as in the ladies words, "the black paint always stains...

Sirzy Mon 29-Apr-13 21:19:37

I find it quite sad that parents feel like that Jamdonut, but I know they do. I can understand limiting painting to when you can deal with the mess but things like colouring should be available and encouraged surely?

On the mess though my nephew went through a stage where he hated being messy no matter how much my sister tried to persuade him that it was fine!

KansasCityOctopus Mon 29-Apr-13 21:19:02

lol, at nursery maybe, but dd even insists on wearing her pinny to play with the playdoh at home!

Cloverer Mon 29-Apr-13 21:16:50

To be honest, if your kids are the types to draw and paint all over themselves then they are also likely to ignore the apron rule!

KansasCityOctopus Mon 29-Apr-13 21:11:12

Why incredible?

we didnt have pens at home, we did have crayons, but paints and pens were offlimits... DS had picasso leanings and after an incident where in 5 minutes of DH being on the phone and distracted he managed to draw over the entire length of the carpet several times, the leather sofas, most of the toys AND baby dd, pens were removed and never returned.

One episode of DH having to scrub (thankfully washable) marker pen off my entire double length living room was one episode too many.

painting is permitted under supervision, as is gluing and sticking. DD isnt allowed pens either, even though she only draws on herself!

jamdonut Mon 29-Apr-13 20:54:49

On a side note, there are so many children in school who can't bear even slightly mucky hands and want to continually clean them whilst in the middle of art/craft projects. There are also an amazing amount of children who have no scissors skills, because their parents "won't let" them use them at home. There is also a worrying amount of children who say they have no coloured pens or pencils or paints at home, because their parents won't let them have them because their younger siblings might take them and draw on the walls (or something)!! This is absolutely true. I find it incredible.

Cloverer Mon 29-Apr-13 20:46:14

As a one off, I wouldn't mention getting covered in paint. Would you really go in and ask why an apron wasn't used? I mean surely you can use your imagination?

jamdonut Mon 29-Apr-13 20:46:02

Just wondering...sometimes when aprons are being shared, they are already really covered in paint, then the children put them on the wrong way round, before you realise it, and then the paint gets all over the clothes by accident.

Black poster paint is a bugger...it is hard to mix,if using the powdered variety, and can often take a couple of washes before it comes out properly. I know this from bitter experience with my own clothes,when supervising painting tables.
I wonder if they had put PVA glue in the paint for any reason. That also makes it a bit more difficult to wash out on the first attempt.

A good plan is to put a couple of spots of washing up liquid in poster paint when mixing it up...it washes out of paint pots so much better, and, presumably clothes.

WeAreSix Mon 29-Apr-13 20:44:09

My DD2 used to come out looking like she'd been through a sandy, glittery, rainbow painted hedge backwards.

I gave up in the end and sent her to nursery in the stained (but clean) clothes. I had to bath her after nursery most days...

Sirzy Mon 29-Apr-13 20:40:11

Kids get covered in paint and food, its part of being a child. The fact the nursery was using paint which didn't wash out would piss me off but other than that it wouldn't bother me.

sparkle12mar08 Mon 29-Apr-13 20:40:03

People who don't have an extra £2 that week might well care about a t-shirt that costs £2, MadCap. That's a reality for a number of parents out there today.

MadCap Mon 29-Apr-13 20:36:35

Yabu, I get fucked off with the parents who moan at the preschool my dcs attend when the kids come out messy. My kids only wear stuff they've nearly grown out of or stuff that's from Primarni who cares about a tshirt that's less than 2 quid My two love messy play and I worry the moaners will cause the school to limit it.

Elesbe Mon 29-Apr-13 20:36:00

Sad to say but I don't think there is anything you can do to remove this stain. I used to hate using black paint with my pupils as I knew I would have grey hands for quite a few days!

newfavouritething Mon 29-Apr-13 20:35:31

Maybe she belly flopped onto a fresh painting?

TheChaoGoesMu Mon 29-Apr-13 20:35:05

YANBU. No apron, no painting. Simple as that really. Its great for them to express themselves, as long as its within boundaries. I'd have a word with the pre school and ask why an apron wasn't used.

KansasCityOctopus Mon 29-Apr-13 20:32:07

i think i'm in shock anyway.. my older DS HATED getting messy, he used to come home pristine.

This one looks like she's been dragged through a hedge and done a round of tough mudder most days... she's the kind of child who you can leave in a white washed room and come back 30 seconds later and be filthy from head to toe.

KansasCityOctopus Mon 29-Apr-13 20:29:58

There is getting dirty and messy, and there is getting STAINED, lol grin

I'm not completely oblivious to the mess they get into, i've worked with nursery aged kids myself as a nursery assistant, so i do know that they get messy. I can deal with the mud from outdoor school. I can deal with the food, the milk, the pen.. i can deal (irritably) with the fact that she's often handed back to me soaked to the elbows in the water from the play table and got sand in unmentionable places or has glitter all in her hair from where her friends have tipped it on her head (that was fun!). I can deal with the results of toileting accidents and sicky incidents.

But this was black paint, and it wasnt just a little bit, it was over her whole front like she'd belly flopped onto a fresh painting.

As i said, i'd be more annoyed had it been uniform the prices they charge for it.. as it is, this will be easy enough to replace.. i think i'm more annoyed they didnt say anything and let me discover the mess for myself.

I likely wont say anything directly, i might ask if they have any tips for washing it out though!

sparkle12mar08 Mon 29-Apr-13 20:28:59

I've absolutely no problem with any of the scenarios described above, where children get accidentally messy, not at all. But the idea that it's okay to specifically organise a messy play activity like painting, without basic coveralls, or to suggest that it's 'stifling a childs creativity' to ask them wear an apron once it's noticed they're playing with paint baffles me.

MiaowTheCat Mon 29-Apr-13 20:26:35

I can also manage to cover MYSELF with paint from the opposite end of an empty nursery. It's quite an impressive skill, although painful on the laundry bill.

thebody Mon 29-Apr-13 20:24:20

Sensible settings have sensible rules.

There is nothing in the EYFS to suggest its fine to paint without aprons or for children to be allowed to choose whatever the flying fuck they like to do and be allowed to. It's nonsense.

HOWEVER unless you have ever worked in a setting or early years you have no concept if how some children can make a mess of themselves in a freakin bubble.

Little children cannot be all watched all of the time by staff and its quite possible for one to grab the paint brush and paint another before you can jump in.

When there's a class of 30 4 year olds its not easy.

Startail Mon 29-Apr-13 20:12:12

Stained (no stairs in nursery)

Startail Mon 29-Apr-13 20:11:25

YANBU
But all our preschool ever gave me was a sarcastic answer about not sending DD in decent clothes. At 3 she only had decent clothes, DCs grow out of stuff before it looks scruffy.

Anyhow, no one went to nursery in stairs scruffy clothes so that really was a nonstarter.

TiggyD Mon 29-Apr-13 20:02:32

It is quite easy for children to get painty. If they stand near the paint and a child with a brush get distracted for instance. Or they get an itch when they're holding a brush and scratch themselves with the hand that's also holding the brush. Or they take the apron off because they've finished painted but then they try to put the painting to dry. Or they put a painty apron on inside out. Or they have a complete idiot looking after them. Or they brush against something that another child has accidently got paint on. etc.

Beatrixpotty Mon 29-Apr-13 20:01:29

When mine started pre-school we were advised not to put them in nice clothes if they chose not to wear uniform because of paint,glue etc.So personally,I wouldn't complain because they warned me.Also they have a staff:child ratio of about 1:7 so I wouldn't expect them to be on top of a child running off to paint with no apron.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now