Pre-school and painting without protection. AIBU?

(70 Posts)
KansasCityOctopus Mon 29-Apr-13 17:35:41

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

MiaowTheCat Mon 29-Apr-13 20:26:35

I can also manage to cover MYSELF with paint from the opposite end of an empty nursery. It's quite an impressive skill, although painful on the laundry bill.

sparkle12mar08 Mon 29-Apr-13 20:28:59

I've absolutely no problem with any of the scenarios described above, where children get accidentally messy, not at all. But the idea that it's okay to specifically organise a messy play activity like painting, without basic coveralls, or to suggest that it's 'stifling a childs creativity' to ask them wear an apron once it's noticed they're playing with paint baffles me.

KansasCityOctopus Mon 29-Apr-13 20:29:58

KansasCityOctopus Mon 29-Apr-13 20:32:07

TheChaoGoesMu Mon 29-Apr-13 20:35:05

YANBU. No apron, no painting. Simple as that really. Its great for them to express themselves, as long as its within boundaries. I'd have a word with the pre school and ask why an apron wasn't used.

newfavouritething Mon 29-Apr-13 20:35:31

Maybe she belly flopped onto a fresh painting?

Elesbe Mon 29-Apr-13 20:36:00

Sad to say but I don't think there is anything you can do to remove this stain. I used to hate using black paint with my pupils as I knew I would have grey hands for quite a few days!

MadCap Mon 29-Apr-13 20:36:35

Yabu, I get fucked off with the parents who moan at the preschool my dcs attend when the kids come out messy. My kids only wear stuff they've nearly grown out of or stuff that's from Primarni who cares about a tshirt that's less than 2 quid My two love messy play and I worry the moaners will cause the school to limit it.

sparkle12mar08 Mon 29-Apr-13 20:40:03

People who don't have an extra £2 that week might well care about a t-shirt that costs £2, MadCap. That's a reality for a number of parents out there today.

Sirzy Mon 29-Apr-13 20:40:11

Kids get covered in paint and food, its part of being a child. The fact the nursery was using paint which didn't wash out would piss me off but other than that it wouldn't bother me.

WeAreSix Mon 29-Apr-13 20:44:09

My DD2 used to come out looking like she'd been through a sandy, glittery, rainbow painted hedge backwards.

I gave up in the end and sent her to nursery in the stained (but clean) clothes. I had to bath her after nursery most days...

jamdonut Mon 29-Apr-13 20:46:02

Just wondering...sometimes when aprons are being shared, they are already really covered in paint, then the children put them on the wrong way round, before you realise it, and then the paint gets all over the clothes by accident.

Black poster paint is a bugger...it is hard to mix,if using the powdered variety, and can often take a couple of washes before it comes out properly. I know this from bitter experience with my own clothes,when supervising painting tables.
I wonder if they had put PVA glue in the paint for any reason. That also makes it a bit more difficult to wash out on the first attempt.

A good plan is to put a couple of spots of washing up liquid in poster paint when mixing it up...it washes out of paint pots so much better, and, presumably clothes.

Cloverer Mon 29-Apr-13 20:46:14

As a one off, I wouldn't mention getting covered in paint. Would you really go in and ask why an apron wasn't used? I mean surely you can use your imagination?

jamdonut Mon 29-Apr-13 20:54:49

On a side note, there are so many children in school who can't bear even slightly mucky hands and want to continually clean them whilst in the middle of art/craft projects. There are also an amazing amount of children who have no scissors skills, because their parents "won't let" them use them at home. There is also a worrying amount of children who say they have no coloured pens or pencils or paints at home, because their parents won't let them have them because their younger siblings might take them and draw on the walls (or something)!! This is absolutely true. I find it incredible.

KansasCityOctopus Mon 29-Apr-13 21:11:12

Cloverer Mon 29-Apr-13 21:16:50

To be honest, if your kids are the types to draw and paint all over themselves then they are also likely to ignore the apron rule!

KansasCityOctopus Mon 29-Apr-13 21:19:02

Sirzy Mon 29-Apr-13 21:19:37

I find it quite sad that parents feel like that Jamdonut, but I know they do. I can understand limiting painting to when you can deal with the mess but things like colouring should be available and encouraged surely?

On the mess though my nephew went through a stage where he hated being messy no matter how much my sister tried to persuade him that it was fine!

CSIJanner Mon 29-Apr-13 22:24:03

YANBU - LO2 was supposed to do painting at nursery last week but refused the pinny so didn't as in the ladies words, "the black paint always stains...

thermalsinapril Mon 29-Apr-13 23:30:00

You could ask them "what sort of apron was she wearing today?" and see what they say.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now