Note: Please bear in mind that whilst this topic does canvass opinions, it is not a fight club. You may disagree with other posters but we do ask you please to stick to our Talk Guidelines and to be civil. We don't allow personal attacks or troll-hunting. Do please report any. Thanks, MNHQ.

Pre-school and painting without protection. AIBU?

(70 Posts)

Going to go on MN consensus with this one, because i cant decide if i'm being unreasonable to be annoyed, and if i should say something or not.

DD attends Pre-school attached to Primary. School Uniform is optional.

I choose not to put DD in uniform for various reasons, some personal, some practical - its more expensive to replace if it gets ruined.

Sent DD in today, and when i picked her up, she was COVERED in black paint, it was all over her jumper.. its quite obvious she's been allowed to paint without using an apron. Its stained, and i've washed it 3 times today, stuff isnt coming out!

Now.. my DS attended reception last year, the preschool and reception share an art area, and i know the rules are they aren't supposed to touch the paints without an apron.

AIBU to complain about the state of her clothes? She's only had that jumper a few weeks, and while it was bought for nursery, i didnt expect it to get ruined with black paint.. the usual mud and pen/ink/food she comes home covered in washes out! also annoyed because they didnt say anything, just handed her to me with her coat on and zipped up so i didnt discover it until we got home.

I think i'd be even more peeved if it had been one of the expensive uniform jumpers/t-shirts.

I know theres nothing the school can do now, its done, not like i'm about to ask them to cough up the six quid to replace it... but its the principal iyswim?

Why did you send her to playschool in a new jumper? Our playschool has uniform jumpers so they don't get their home clothes dirty.

thebody Mon 29-Apr-13 19:14:14

Hi I work in early years. If our children won't put on an apron then they don't paint. Simple as.

She may have picked up the brush and painted herself before staff could intervene. It happens.

Don't dress to impress for nursery but paints used in schools should wash out.

Not sure where this early years myths come from. Children are allowed to choose the activities they do but there are rules.

My children would perhaps like to use the class scissors but I don't let them as I am the adult and they are the child who can't always have what they want!!

Health and safety and safeguarding trumps free choice and will in any sensible early years setting.

Cloverer Mon 29-Apr-13 19:14:15

Strange the paint won't wash out.

I'm sure that the rule is aprons for painting, but there is probably only 2 or 3 adults watching a whole class of 3 and 4 year olds so easy for one child to get overlooked.

redwellybluewelly Mon 29-Apr-13 19:19:53

YANBU

my DD (2.8) attends nursery although I think she is younger than your DD, I do put her in heavy duty washable clothes which aren't as expensive but I get so annoyed by them becoming almost wantonly dirty. My main bugbear is mealtimes where they don't wear bibs! Curry doesn't shift easily although most paints will wash out when you use cold water and fairy liquid.

Maybe ask them what the policy is for painting saying that you've had issues getting some of the paint out and you wonder if they even use aprons?

Cloverer Mon 29-Apr-13 19:34:41

I'd be surprised to see bibs on over 2s!

MiaowTheCat Mon 29-Apr-13 19:37:53

Black paint is a bastard to get out compared to the other colours - although it all SHOULD be washable, it's one of those that's just more nightmarish than others (flashbacks to a cover lesson I was left that had the kids painting something black so it was going to dry before their normal teacher could use it as the base for some artwork... we were scrubbing the plastic table protector cloths for a good hour to get the blooming colour off).

I'd ask what happened - I suspect she jumped in and got good and dirty in the few seconds before a staff member could stop her to remind her to put an apron on to be honest - which however well staffed, supervised and resourced DOES happen unfortunately.

sparkle12mar08 Mon 29-Apr-13 19:38:14

Don't be so ridiculous 5318008! I've never heard such pathetic tommy rot! Denying them the opportunity and limiting their experience is exactly what should happen if they choose to disobey a very, very simple rule. Honestly I despair...

5318008 Mon 29-Apr-13 19:40:38

you despair because why?

TiggyD Mon 29-Apr-13 19:45:25

Because it's that idea that children can do whatever they want at all times and the consequences don't matter and there are no boundaries is what the rest of us are trying constantly to fight against.

You work in childcare? How?!

sparkle12mar08 Mon 29-Apr-13 19:47:18

Because life is full of rules, big ones and small ones, and if policy makers and practitionaers fall for this kind of namby pamby "ooh don't stifle the little ones" thinking on a daily basis it's leading to a generation of children who have difficulty accepting social norms and niceties which are there for their own good. It's almost the opposite of the whole "elf & safety gorn mad" debate - "ooh lets all express ourselves!" with no thought for the consequences. Urgh.

Pozzled Mon 29-Apr-13 19:48:04

Nonsense to suggest that in the EYFS children's choice is more important than rules! I can think of many things that children might choose to do, which would not be allowed!

5318008 Mon 29-Apr-13 19:49:17

Who is saying there are no boundaries, that consequences don't matter?Not me; I'm saying why let the washing pile put you off your child having a good time painting

sparkle12mar08 Mon 29-Apr-13 19:49:56

So you come and bloody do it then!

sparkle12mar08 Mon 29-Apr-13 19:50:57

Or more to the point - you pay the clothes bills for all the parents whose children's clothes you ruin! Silly woman.

5318008 Mon 29-Apr-13 19:51:51

grin

TiggyD Mon 29-Apr-13 19:55:47

Have a good time painting but take sensible, non bonkers precautions such as wearing an apron. If they say no apron, say no painting.

After 20 years of working in nurseries I have never encountered somebody talking like Ms 8008.

5madthings Mon 29-Apr-13 19:57:15

Yanbu and i have the same complaint today except ds4 is in reception and he has come home with his school.jumper and polo shirt COVERED in paint. Dark colours again, i may get it out of the jumper but not a hope in hell.of getting the white polo shirt stain free, it is siaking at the moment...

And i am not fussy about mess, i have four boys and a toddler and i expect them.to get dirty but they should wear an apron to at least offer their clothes some protection. A bit of paint of clothes i get but ds4 has a jumper and polo shirt covered. Looks like someone has painted him and then he took his jumper off and painted him again!! the school logo sweatshirts can only be bought from one supplier at an expensive price as well.

sparkle12mar08 Mon 29-Apr-13 20:00:03

But don't worry about the ironing - I have ironed in over 15 years, I'm not that fussy, honestly...

Beatrixpotty Mon 29-Apr-13 20:00:04

When mine started pre-school we were advised not to put them in nice clothes if they chose not to wear uniform because of paint,gluvetc.So personally,I wouldn't complain because they warned me.Also they have a staff:child ratio of about 1:7 so I wouldn't expect them to be on top of a child running off to paint with no apron.

sparkle12mar08 Mon 29-Apr-13 20:00:56

Haven't ironed. Talking about ruining the point...

Beatrixpotty Mon 29-Apr-13 20:01:29

When mine started pre-school we were advised not to put them in nice clothes if they chose not to wear uniform because of paint,glue etc.So personally,I wouldn't complain because they warned me.Also they have a staff:child ratio of about 1:7 so I wouldn't expect them to be on top of a child running off to paint with no apron.

TiggyD Mon 29-Apr-13 20:02:32

It is quite easy for children to get painty. If they stand near the paint and a child with a brush get distracted for instance. Or they get an itch when they're holding a brush and scratch themselves with the hand that's also holding the brush. Or they take the apron off because they've finished painted but then they try to put the painting to dry. Or they put a painty apron on inside out. Or they have a complete idiot looking after them. Or they brush against something that another child has accidently got paint on. etc.

Startail Mon 29-Apr-13 20:11:25

YANBU
But all our preschool ever gave me was a sarcastic answer about not sending DD in decent clothes. At 3 she only had decent clothes, DCs grow out of stuff before it looks scruffy.

Anyhow, no one went to nursery in stairs scruffy clothes so that really was a nonstarter.

Startail Mon 29-Apr-13 20:12:12

Stained (no stairs in nursery)

thebody Mon 29-Apr-13 20:24:20

Sensible settings have sensible rules.

There is nothing in the EYFS to suggest its fine to paint without aprons or for children to be allowed to choose whatever the flying fuck they like to do and be allowed to. It's nonsense.

HOWEVER unless you have ever worked in a setting or early years you have no concept if how some children can make a mess of themselves in a freakin bubble.

Little children cannot be all watched all of the time by staff and its quite possible for one to grab the paint brush and paint another before you can jump in.

When there's a class of 30 4 year olds its not easy.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now