Pre-school and painting without protection. AIBU?

(70 Posts)

Going to go on MN consensus with this one, because i cant decide if i'm being unreasonable to be annoyed, and if i should say something or not.

DD attends Pre-school attached to Primary. School Uniform is optional.

I choose not to put DD in uniform for various reasons, some personal, some practical - its more expensive to replace if it gets ruined.

Sent DD in today, and when i picked her up, she was COVERED in black paint, it was all over her jumper.. its quite obvious she's been allowed to paint without using an apron. Its stained, and i've washed it 3 times today, stuff isnt coming out!

Now.. my DS attended reception last year, the preschool and reception share an art area, and i know the rules are they aren't supposed to touch the paints without an apron.

AIBU to complain about the state of her clothes? She's only had that jumper a few weeks, and while it was bought for nursery, i didnt expect it to get ruined with black paint.. the usual mud and pen/ink/food she comes home covered in washes out! also annoyed because they didnt say anything, just handed her to me with her coat on and zipped up so i didnt discover it until we got home.

I think i'd be even more peeved if it had been one of the expensive uniform jumpers/t-shirts.

I know theres nothing the school can do now, its done, not like i'm about to ask them to cough up the six quid to replace it... but its the principal iyswim?

greenformica Mon 29-Apr-13 17:58:45

I think preschool kids are best wearing scruffy clothes to mess around in. Madness to suggest uniform wearing.

tiredteddy Mon 29-Apr-13 18:02:57

IIRC the paint used in schools says soak in cold water. Then wash. I might be wrong but that what I remember on the stuff in the school I taught at then it came out fine. Might help in the future?

K8eee Mon 29-Apr-13 18:11:05

What were they letting her use..?!?! Tar?! I remember in nursery we had powder paint mixed with water and did so all through primary so it always washed out. Sounds like acrylic paint to me which if you're lucky will come out with a decent stain remover. YADNBU! I would be fuming and agree with the other mnetters with the uniform thing. Far too pricey!

AuntieStella Mon 29-Apr-13 18:14:57

I think it might be worth asking how on earth she got quite so filthy. And ask if would help if you supplied something like an old shirt of DH which she could wear for painting activities in future. This might however news of the ready availability of aprons/coveralls, and DD's devious escapade.

IneedAsockamnesty Mon 29-Apr-13 18:16:00

Yanbu.

CloudsAndTrees Mon 29-Apr-13 18:19:11

YABU to complain about it. Like you said, there is nothing that can be done now and they already have a rule that aprons should be worn so it's not like there is anything to be achieved by a complaint. They are already doing what needs to be done.

These things happen sometimes. Maybe your dd got hold of the paint while something else was going on that was more worthy of the staffs attention than a child without an apron.

Flisspaps Mon 29-Apr-13 18:19:39

It wouldn't bother me. I'd expect nursery clothes to get ruined.

CuppaSarah Mon 29-Apr-13 18:23:40

If you want to mention it to the staff but don't want to be negative or awkward. Try telling them you noticed the paint wouldn't come out the jumper and if they pop some washing up liquid in the paint it stops it staining. That way you let them know they've let her stain her clothes, but you don't look to be moaning

newfavouritething Mon 29-Apr-13 18:26:02

YABU - it's paint at pre-school, forget about it be glad that she's enjoying herself :-)

lljkk Mon 29-Apr-13 18:26:29

do mention it to staff, most paints don't stain most fabrics, but it's a bit of a gamble no matter what you do.

I can't imagine they don't have a policy about aprons must be worn, but doesn't mean OP's DD remembered to put on apron first or didn't find another creative way to get paint anywhere.

TiggyD Mon 29-Apr-13 18:26:51

Black and red powder paint is harder to get out than the other colours.

differentkindofpenguin Mon 29-Apr-13 18:32:42

Ruined jumper wouldn't bother me, but they should have mentioned it when you picked her up! They sound really immature! An explanation and an apology would have gone a long way.

I wouldn't have complained but would have mentioned it!

5318008 Mon 29-Apr-13 18:34:56

The staff can ask the child if they would like to wear an apron but how could they force one on if the child said no thank you.

The EYFS is very strong on children choosing, self-determination etc.

I do see that it's terribly annoying but your child cannot be forced to wear a protective apron for messy play.

sparkle12mar08 Mon 29-Apr-13 18:37:00

The child most certainly can be forced to wear an apron if they want to do messy play, otherwise they don't do it! It's not rocket science...

Remotecontrolduck Mon 29-Apr-13 18:37:47

YANBU, there's getting messy, then just pointlessly destroying clothes when there's no need, an apron could have been worn. It wont kill them to make sure clothes are covered

I'm baffled by the uniform for pre school that seems to be everywhere now though, why on earth?

5318008 Mon 29-Apr-13 18:48:56

ummm NO no forcing, ever.

The child chooses, do you see? They can chose to wear an apron or not, they can be encouraged to, but the activity should not be precluded if the child doesn't want to wear an apron.

Are you an early years practitioner? HOPE NOT

MerylStrop Mon 29-Apr-13 18:51:07

yabu sorry que sera sera

sparkle12mar08 Mon 29-Apr-13 18:51:43

I'm not a practitioner, no, I'm a parent that gets utterly fucked of with the ridiculous notion that children should be allowed to choose whatever they want all the time - painting should be absolutely precluded if the child won't wear an apron - I'd support that totally as a parent!

5318008 Mon 29-Apr-13 18:57:24

But it's denying a child the opportunity to express themselves, to explore texture, make marks maybe with meaning, to become proficient, to achieve through a process - do you see how insisting on an apron can limit that child's experience?

LimitedEditionLady Mon 29-Apr-13 19:03:06

Well i think yeah id be annoyed but i.know to be expecting them to ruin some clothes wherever they are.maybe she didnt want the apron and itd be preferable to put one on the child but i wouldnt make a child upset and not let them join in because of it.sometimes kids have moody days doesnt mean their parents let them get away with everything.what an antiquated way of thinking.pick your battles.you really think a nursery worker wants to get a child hysterical over an apron?

LimitedEditionLady Mon 29-Apr-13 19:07:39

Sorry OP forgot to answer properly.id just say at nursery "that black paint did nt wash out you know?how would you get it out?"then theyll know for future

TiggyD Mon 29-Apr-13 19:08:58

Children have to wear aprons when painting. I have never heard a nursery worker say otherwise.

LimitedEditionLady Mon 29-Apr-13 19:11:38

im not saying that a nursery worker wouldnt say wear an apron

AngiBolen Mon 29-Apr-13 19:11:47

Even with an apron, paint can get on clothes, and standard school paint does not always wash out.

I never sent my DC to nursery with clothes I would be bothered about getting ruined. And who sees them at nusrery anyway, apart from the staff and other small children.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now