Note: Please bear in mind that whilst this topic does canvass opinions, it is not a fight club. You may disagree with other posters but we do ask you please to stick to our Talk Guidelines and to be civil. We don't allow personal attacks or troll-hunting. Do please report any. Thanks, MNHQ.

to go to the press?

(73 Posts)
ANonna Mon 29-Apr-13 13:37:33

I have received an email that was sent by a local councillor, complaining about immigration, and specifically 'ragheads'. WIBU to contact the press, as well as making a formal complaint?

YANBU. Do it.

Finola1step Mon 29-Apr-13 13:39:43

Wow! If this is true, wow! If you are sure that this is not a hoax, def go to the press, go viral with it!

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

shock yanbu, do it.

Was it an email to you, or a few people?

Theyoniwayisnorthwards Mon 29-Apr-13 13:40:04

YANBU, you should do both

SkinnybitchWannabe Mon 29-Apr-13 13:40:20

Thats awful. YANBU

VivaLeBeaver Mon 29-Apr-13 13:41:07

Blimey! Is it a ukip councillor?

Go to the press. Was it an email just to you?

quesadilla Mon 29-Apr-13 13:41:37

Was the email sent just to you? Or was it a broader political campaign mailout? Yes you should go to the press with something like that - attitudes like that deserve the light of day.

I'd check that it is genuine before you do anything else. What Party is the councillor a member of? Does it seem a realistic thing for him to have sent you? If it is genuine then YWNBU to go to the press and make a formal complaint

Wow,. Just wow. Got to be UKIP hasn't it?

finickypinickity Mon 29-Apr-13 13:43:44

Does raghead refer to a specific group of people? It sounds very offensive but i've never heard that expression before.

If it does then YANBU

ANonna Mon 29-Apr-13 13:46:04

It's not a hoax. Definitely. I know this person. I don't think he wrote it - seems like a forward chain thing IYSWIM?

Sorry, not saying the party or any more specific detail until at least I've decided what to do.

kim147 Mon 29-Apr-13 13:46:10

I think Prince Harry used the term
www.guardian.co.uk/uk/2009/jan/12/prince-harry-video-pakistani

So there's precident.

taxi4ballet Mon 29-Apr-13 13:47:30

How about forwarding the email to the political party headquarters?

ANonna Mon 29-Apr-13 13:50:18

I'm not sure their HQ would do anything useful with it tbh.

finickypinickity Mon 29-Apr-13 13:50:27

Thanks Kim147, i'm glad i havent heard that expression before having read the context in that article.

YANBU if its genuine.

ANonna Mon 29-Apr-13 13:56:47

Even if he just forwarded it rather than wrote it?

YANBU. Name and shame.

ANonna Mon 29-Apr-13 13:58:23

To whom?

LippiPongstocking Mon 29-Apr-13 13:58:28

Party Headquarters, Private Eye and the Guardian. Send it to all of them.

ANonna Mon 29-Apr-13 14:01:22

What would happen to him though?

miemohrs Mon 29-Apr-13 14:01:32

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

pickledginger Mon 29-Apr-13 14:02:12

Lippi is right. Forwarding that shit is the same as writing it, just lazier.

LadyClariceCannockMonty Mon 29-Apr-13 14:03:43

If you think it was just forwarded, you could ask the person where he got it from, then complain about them.

Whoever it turns out has originated it, I think you should go to the party HQ before going to the press. Why don't you think they'd 'do anything useful with it'?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now