It is absolutely fine to leave dog shit behind if you are walking in country side.

(88 Posts)
HoneyDragon Mon 29-Apr-13 13:22:46

No it's fucking not angry

There are a bajillion reasons why you should not. All bloody good ones, particularly if its farm land.

So stop you filthy fuckers. Do not tell me its ok. Because its not.

Work on the simple assumption that if you are there, other people probably will be so bag it and take it with you.

<<continues seething at utter cock wombles>>

Quodlibet Mon 29-Apr-13 13:53:47

I would rather people left it to biodegrade than plastic bag it and then leave it hanging from a hedge for the magic countryside dog poo fairies to presumably collect. But YANBU at all, people should clear up poo and TAKE IT AWAY WITH THEM.

HoneyDragon Mon 29-Apr-13 13:54:17

Wordfactory

But where do you flick it? And what do you do with the shitty stick afterward. Dogs and dcs like picking up sticks.

Plus, the national trust are on managed land and I believe they prefer people to bag it, first and foremost.

Abra1d Mon 29-Apr-13 13:55:53

WHy is it better to put a dog poo in a little plastic bag in landfill than flick it into a bramble thicket miles from human habitation and livestock to rot down more quickly or be eaten by various creatures?

Even biodegradable dog poo bags take ages to disintegrate.

wordfactory Mon 29-Apr-13 13:56:09

My foolish hound will only go in the same spot, so not really an issue for us.

But I thought NT had said they prefered stick and flick so it will be degrade...

Abra1d Mon 29-Apr-13 13:58:21

ANd you're not picking blackberries in April.

HoneyDragon Mon 29-Apr-13 13:58:42

Abra1d

Who walks there dog in those places?

HoneyDragon Mon 29-Apr-13 14:00:31

And the same dog walker lets his dog shit there all year round.

HoneyDragon Mon 29-Apr-13 14:02:42

Wordfactory

The NT have flick/stick as option 2
Option 1 is bag and take away.

But people were bagging and dumping.

Abra1d Mon 29-Apr-13 14:03:18

Which places? Brambles? I don't walk in the brambles but if I am walking alongside a thicket this time of year, some distance from our small village of course I flick the poo off the fence into the thicket with a stick. Much more sensible than putting it in a plastic bag in landfill where it will take ages to rot down. I just can't see the logic of doing anything else. Our dog is well-vetted, fed on high quality food and regularly wormed. There are no livestock where we walk.

PessimisticMissPiggy Mon 29-Apr-13 14:03:49

Yanbu. This also extends to human humans who crap along pathways. If you're out walking and get caught short, do it in a bag please!

TooExtraImmatureCheddar Mon 29-Apr-13 14:03:50

I do. I live in the middle of nowhere (rural Scotland). In the last 3 years, I have met other people on our regular walks maybe 10 times. I don't pick up my dog's poo in these places, although I do when in town/public parks/country parks with lots of walkers etc.

Abra1d Mon 29-Apr-13 14:03:55

Sorry, not off the fence (dog not that acrobatic) off, the footpath, I meant.

UnChartered Mon 29-Apr-13 14:04:07

the Forestly Commission advocate stick and flick

the car park here fucking well stinks

TooExtraImmatureCheddar Mon 29-Apr-13 14:05:14

Sorry, that was in reply to OP's questuion about who walks dogs in places miles from human habitation.

UnChartered Mon 29-Apr-13 14:07:22

<but am cooing over typo of 'Forestly' smile >

mercibucket Mon 29-Apr-13 14:07:29

its far preferable to bagging and leaving it as a poo fruit growing on a tree

Hot tip, take a plastic bag with you, pick it up for them and put it in their pocket all ready to take home!

MousyMouse Mon 29-Apr-13 14:07:40

abra you could buy maze starch bags and put you dog's excrements into your very own compost bin.

LadyBeagleEyes Mon 29-Apr-13 14:08:40

I'm like TooExtra, I also live in the middle of nowhere, behind me a mountain which my dog get's the run of, or a walk round a loch.
Not a soul in sight usually, so I don't pick it up.

HoneyDragon Mon 29-Apr-13 14:10:04

Sorry Abra. Right in the middle of a thicket if you can get it that far is different to hedge at the edge of a path. It will still get walked in.

The reason the NT and the Forestry commission ask you to flick, is because they don't provide bins. So people were putting it in plastic bags and dumping it in hedges. I believe the FCC also have those loop walks by the car park to encourage your dog to shit before you begin. They are AWFUL.

There reasoning, quite rightly was to simply encourage people to move it out the way and dump it.

Farm land is different. There are less convenient places to remove it or bury it.

Public parks etc are different. The hedgerows and wooded areas should not stink of dog shit.

£40 fine for dog fouling here, but is it ever enforced?

I reckon every dog owner should have to register their dog shit DNA - then if you are caught it is easy to fine you - local councils could surely make a fair bit of money fining people? It would make the area more attractive to tourists if they don't fear getting covered in dog crap, or spending their entire time looking at the ground to avoid shit instead of enjoying the walk. And the smell of dog crap on hot days is very off putting if you want to go for a picnic.

I own a rescued dog and even if she shits in the undergrowth I pick it up!

Naysa Mon 29-Apr-13 14:10:44

I think I'm about to be flamed here!

We don't walk our dog on farm land but do walk him in woods and parks. 60% of the time he poos somewhere where we can get it, but he has this horrible habit of getting into bushes and pooing in them, we try and get some, but some are too dense to get into. He also seems to be immune to spiky plants so sometimes we can't get at it without being cut to shreds. Hopefully people aren't going to be rootling around in these bushes.

We have something called "poo karma". If our dog does a poo in a bush that we can't reach and we come across a poo on a path that some dirty bastard has left we bag it and bin it thus balancing our poo karma.

Our dog is also regularly wormed.

Mirage Mon 29-Apr-13 14:12:37

Completely agree.Even if other people aren't walking in the area,it may be grazed by livestock or being laid to hay.Do people really think that livestock [and possibly their own guinea pigs/bunnies] like eating hay befouled by dog shit? At the end of the day,that land belongs to someone and people should be respectful of that.

GoSuckEggs Mon 29-Apr-13 14:14:56

There is actually a national trust place near me that has signs all over the place telling you to flick it off the main path.

wordfactory Mon 29-Apr-13 14:15:04

As I say, not an issue for us as our hound has her poo ishoos.

But whe we walk with friends in the countryside and the dogs run off together, the ohter dogs might poo somehwere their owners can't even see!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now