To be fuming at the Hermes delivery driver.

(134 Posts)
ComposHat Sun 28-Apr-13 21:06:50

I'd ordered a pair of shoes from Clarks (I've done this loads of times before) and have found the service to be fine.

This time they appear to be delivery company called Hermes (who is the Greek God of incompetent and lazy delivery drivers). I had to go and visit my parents unexpectedly and what do you know, there's a card in the communal hallway to the flat. Fair enough, I thought, I'll have to re-arrange delivery/collect from the depot. No problem with that at all.

But no, the idiot driver had dumped the parcel in a completely open communal backyard shared by about 15 different flats. When I got back - what a surprise - the parcel wasn't there.Leaving a package outside in full public view in the middle of a high crime area, who would have thunk it?

I logged onto the Herpes Hermes website and their auto tracking thing says that the customer (me) had not only received the item, but had signed for it!

AIBU to go absolutely crazy at Hermes and/or Clarks at 8:30 tomorrow morning? And what are my chances of getting my shoes replaced?

LoganMummy Sun 28-Apr-13 22:50:00

We had this yesterday. £100 DVD player left in our bin as a safe place. Previously our deliveries have been left at front door in full view of everyone. Crazy!

Our local delivery drivers are generally pretty good - but then again unless the sheep have turned to crime they can leave parcels pretty safely - so they probably have a better delivery rate than their urban peers. I hope they get some sort of mileage rate, though.

OP - don't bother with Hermes. Talk to Clarkes. It won't come as a great shock to them.

IRCL Sun 28-Apr-13 23:13:41

YANBU OP.

I haven't actually had any dealings with hermes but yodel/hdnl are the bane of my life.

There is an interesting programme on ch4 soon about couriers. Be interesting to see which company they go undercover at.

pouffepants Sun 28-Apr-13 23:15:43

We don't get a mileage rate at all, all costs have to come out of the 45p rate that an average suburban courier will get per parcel. This rate hasn't changed for over 20 years.

I'm a rural courier, and actually make good money, but the suburban routes are easy to do so they pay bottom dollar and get amoeba I'm afraid.

ImAlpharius Sun 28-Apr-13 23:19:41

We got a hermes delivery put in our slop bucket shudders at the memory

MagratOfStolat Sun 28-Apr-13 23:30:57

DPD and Yodel are THE. WORST.

YANBU!!

edinbuirgh80 Sun 28-Apr-13 23:45:46

Hermes and yodel are both crap. Not sure which one is worse. Yodel left an ipad ordered from john Lewis in a safe place. Yes ynder doormat. I nearly trod on it when I returned home in the dark.

ExcuseTypos Sun 28-Apr-13 23:54:23

tri10 sorry but your post made me laugh- she chucks it!!

She mustn't give a shit! I think I quite admire her.

HoHoHoNoYouDont Sun 28-Apr-13 23:55:22

My Hermes courier gets paid £1.95 for every parcel he handles. Over the last Christmas period he took 20k over a three month period. He works inner city so gets big contracts from retailers.

olivertheoctopus Mon 29-Apr-13 00:04:39

They should be able to show you a copy of the alleged signature.

brummiegirl1 Mon 29-Apr-13 00:12:21

I ordered a Kenwood mixer from Lakeland and I wasn't in when they delivered. The card said it wad over gate. I can just imagine how they threw my mixer over the gate! How it still works I don't know! Anyway I complained to Lakeland direct and they were really good and sent me vouchers and emailed a complaint to the head office of Hermes. If you contact Clarkes it will probably be a better bet than contacting Hermes. Terrible delivery service.

Yodel once tried delivering a parcel, I wasn't home, so they had to choose which neighbour to leave my expensive item with. The obvious choice - next door? Nope. Across the road? Nope. The drug house 8 doors down and round the corner with boarded up windows? Oh yes. Jokers.

onelittlepiglet Mon 29-Apr-13 02:25:16

Don't get me started on Hermes. They delivered a parcel and on the card it said 'left under front wheel of car'. I had to spend an hour in the dark on my road looking under the wheels of cars parked nearby. I eventually found the parcel (a dress from ASOS) balanced on the front wheel (under the arch) of a random car on my road!

Then for my birthday I ordered an iPad from John Lewis. I had saved up and it was an expensive (for me) purchase. It went 'missing'. Luckily JL sent a new one and were very good about it but even they had to admit that it was blatantly stolen by the Hermes driver who had tried to deliver it once and left a number and had their phone switched off ever since.

Totally rubbish!

Thumbwitch Mon 29-Apr-13 02:41:01

I think you should be able to get another pair sent out from Clarks, tbh, so contact them.

I had problems with HDN handling an Amazon delivery - they "couldn't find the address" (workplace, everyone else could find it no problem). After about a week of this shit, Amazon sent the order out again via RM, and it arrived next day (no extra cost to me). HDN finally delivered their version, by now much battered and torn, a few days later. I returned it to Amazon after phoning them to discuss what I should do - again, no cost to me, iirc they sent me a return label by email to print out and stick on the box and they paid for it.

YouDontWinFriendsWithSalad Mon 29-Apr-13 03:06:10

This happened to me, not with Hermes but with Amazon. Said it was signed for. I demanded to see the signature, they said they couldn't provide it. I demanded a full refund and got it.

Good luck...

PasswordProtected Mon 29-Apr-13 04:43:12

You have my sympathy as this has happened to me twice in the past 10 days. Goods left on front doorstep, once under doormat once wedged beside terracora pot, both in full view of road etc. & I had 'signed' both times. I complained to the companies shipping the goods.

TheFallenNinja Mon 29-Apr-13 05:26:30

Your contract is with whoever sold you the shoes, not the courier.

Going daft with them will further reduce your chances of getting stuff in the future. Just contact the vendor, tell them that you don't have the goods and let them do the chasing, they will deal with the courier as the contract for delivery is between them and the courier.

Hermes are shit.

likeitorlumpit Mon 29-Apr-13 07:41:15

i ordered something from amazon for over £100. my heart sank as soon as i saw it was a hermes delivery. straight away i knew i wouldnt get it. it went to my local depot 3 times before someone stole lost it. i never order if i know they are delivering.

ComposHat Mon 29-Apr-13 15:03:37

Spoke to Clarks, the driver had forged my signature on the electronic delivery machine they carry around. Unbelievable.

Clarks are taking the matter up with Hermes now.

Grrr.

God, reading all of this, I am so so gald my local delivery man is my neighbour!

I had to arrange a courier delivery of something for eBay and the Hermes prices were fab. Then I read the reviews! I didn't know it was possible to be worse than Yodel! Went with Royal Mail and the service was perfect.

Yodel left some books in an open envelope carefully propped up on my front wall in such a way that the gutter run-off would have run straight into the envelope. They didn't knock at all, we found the books hours after they left them, just before the rain came!

Thumbwitch Mon 29-Apr-13 15:47:45

Surely there is some level of criminal activity there, forging your signature? I mean aside from the sheer bonearsed laziness of it, it's forgery! They really ought to do something about it, make an example of the driver or something, so that other employees aren't tempted to continue doing the same. While nothing is done to stop them in this appalling behaviour, they will just carry on, and people will be sick to death of the uselessness of the delivery service. I personally can't believe anyone could want to run a business this way - if it was me and I had the reviews that Hermes have, I'd have been doing something about it by now!

valiumredhead Mon 29-Apr-13 15:51:51

I love my Hermes courier -she is very nice and friendly smile

phantomnamechanger Mon 29-Apr-13 15:52:46

My mums had this with some thing she ordered and she did not let it go till the company supplied a replacement for what she was supposed to have signed for - the "signature" was nothing at all like hers! I hoep the delivery driver got disciplined!

never had such a big problem myself but am right cheesed off with the number of people putting stuff in the stinky bin, too lazy to knock next door!

seriouscakeeater Mon 29-Apr-13 16:01:45

OH LORD! You have my sympathies, Yodel and Hermmes are both as bad! Pay for next day delivery...whats that?? I had to go through a week of the calling every day but no one in (strange as my DGM sat in ALL week for me) so they took delivery back! I had payed for next day delivery too. When she did finally turn up with her husband, she just said the van had been broke all week! my 81 year old nan played merry hell you cant even phone them, just shows how dodgy they are!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now