to wonder why boys can't run the race for life?

(148 Posts)
ParadiseChick Sun 28-Apr-13 20:53:24

Trying to register, my 11year old nephew fancied it, but no space on the online form for anything other than ms, miss, Mrs, Dr, rev or prof in the title space. Is it women only?

Discrimination is discrimination. I dont give a flying fuck how much you dress it up, its still discrimination even if its for a good cause.

Try swopping the words male and female for black and write. Or gay and straight. Now have a re read and tell me if its still ok.

My major problem with R4L is the whole fucking pinkness and weak girliness of it all. I've really not got a problem with women only or men only events, I can see the pros and cons but why does everything which is a woman only event have to be pink and screechy and "here come the girls"? It's patronising twaddle to behave like that and assume that women are precious little flowers who need to be protected from the mean men.

Have a successful, women-only event by all means but don't be so bloody stereotypical about it.

MilgramsLittleHelper Fri 03-May-13 22:51:34

" women are precious little flowers who need to be protected from the mean men."

Of course the Feminist argument would be that women who've experienced some form of abuse would be more likely to participate.

Mugofteaforme Sat 04-May-13 00:03:15

Bumpity Bump Bump smile

pickledginger Sat 04-May-13 00:27:30

Lack of interest by men. Lack of the running equivalent of bums on seats. Trainers behind the line? One of the increased risk factors for cancer is being overweight/inactive. Female participation in public exercise plummets from puberty. If it gives women the confidence to take part I have no problem with it.

pickledginger Sat 04-May-13 00:28:32

What NotKathy, like women's only gyms?

Clary Sat 04-May-13 01:35:24

Lots of good posts here but I'll add my two pennorth

Race for Life is women and girls only.

IMO (tho I have ever read this anywhere) this is so that women of any age, shape and size (and running ability or not) feel happy to enter.

IME a lot of women don't want to take part in a scary competitive race, but they are happy to go on an inspiring and uplifting event like RfL. If men were involved, maybe the thought is that they would be all macho and lycra-clad and lots of women would be put off.

There are plenty of other races which raise funds for cancer which yr nephew could do such as the Relay for Life, but RfL is women only and always has been. I don't know how long it has been going but I have done it 9 times.

BTW RfL is not a breast cancer fund-raiser, it is to aid research into ALL CANCER (sorry to shout but this misconception upsets me). I always run for my dad who died of bowel cancer. If one person survives for an extra year because of the piffling sums I raise it will have been worth it.

I honestly am sad that some people refuse to sponsor those who do RfL because it is women-only. sad Are women only sessions at the pool not OK? How about women/girl only footy teams? IME the girls' teams are the best places for girls to play football - they seem to get more out of it and get on better. Are they breaking some unwritten rule? My book group is all-female. We don't hate men or anything, but we don't have any. Not at this particular event.

<ranty>

CBA to read the whole thread...but in the last few I've done your nephew could easily run around with you, the marshals aren't gonna drag him off the racecourse. We do Victoria Embankment in Nottingham, always a good turn out and if it's good weather a lovely brisk power walk :-)

I'm not a feminist, i see what you're saying, but pick your battles? It's not really that much of an issue, it's a charity event for women and some of them choose to do it in pink, so what, it's in remembrance of loved one(s) who have died/survived cancer. Like I said up thread if men/young uns want to run round with the women they won't be booted off the course. Get over it/run it/stop moaning.

bollockstoit Sat 04-May-13 09:40:16

I started running by training for a race for life. If it wasn't women only, I wouldn't have felt confident enough to do it tbh. There weren't any park runs in those days, it was either r4l, or local running club organised events. So if r4l hadn't existed, I wouldn't have started running I don't think. I imagine many women who run started out in the same way.
Since then, I have done a couple of 10ks (one of them a r4l one, which I did with my boyfriend), and a half marathon.
I don't particularly like pink, and I'm not some kind of shy, delicate flower who's scared of men, but I wouldn't have had the confidence to run in a mixed event at first.
I was glad that I managed to raise a bit of money for cancer research for cancers that affect men and women.
I imagine that if cancer research though there was money to be made from men only events, they would organise some.
I used to go to a women-only gym and never thought that it was somehow discriminatory. I'm amazed that anyone cares really. If there was a men-only event that raised a lot of money for charity, it wouldn't occur to me to whinge that I wanted to be involved and it' NOT FAIR! Oh wait, there is a men-only thing isn't there, the moustache thing?
I wonder why some people feel so threatened and upset by this?

fromparistoberlin Sat 04-May-13 09:57:35

yanbu

I really really dislike breast cancer UKs marketing

I think their cause is great but their methods fuck me right off

Christelle2207 Sat 04-May-13 11:34:36

I would highly recommend looking into your local Parkrun. I'm just back from one this morning and it's extremely family friendly -boys, girls, mums dads even grandparents (and older) all welcome. And it's not a one off, you can do it every week!
Best habit of a lifetime I ever got into.
At most parkruns you can even bring the dog.

FirstVix Sat 04-May-13 14:22:55

I expect that the 12 year cut off for boys is more about childcare than that they become 'intimidating'. A 13 yr old can usually be left for 1/2 hour to watch the race fairly saftely, an 8 yr old (say) not so much which might stop some women (with no RL support) from participating. This way they can still join in and take their DS with them.

Having read the thread, I think I'm on the side of 'it encourages people who wouldn't participate to do so' and there's lots of other mixed events out there.

Nelly000 Sat 04-May-13 14:33:20

Fuck me. We'll be saying it's sexist to have men's and women's toilets next.

People bitching about R4L being sexist really need to refocus their energy on real, honest to God sexism. You know, the stuff where men and women are genuinely worse off through having breasts or a penis, not just a bit 'put out'

I can't take part in Movember. So the fuck what???

Clary Sat 04-May-13 14:33:41

fromparis it's not run by breast cancer UK.

It's run by and for Cancer Research. All forms of cancer. Incuding those that affect men and women or even only men. See posts on this thread.

Lovecat Sat 04-May-13 14:37:55

6 pages??

If the moaners on this thread put half the energy they've spent whinging on here about discrimination into supporting cancer research there might not be a need for RFL...hmm

MilgramsLittleHelper Sat 04-May-13 15:06:07

....and the whinging will go on until the Guys have their bite of the apple and feel they're part of something big, wonderful and giving. Personally I'd like to see two races, the Men's after the Women's-Then they can cheer each other on smile and just think of all that lovely extra cash!!

interestonly Sat 04-May-13 15:11:43

Message deleted by Mumsnet for breaking our Talk Guidelines. Replies may also be deleted.

MiddleAgeMiddleEngland Sat 04-May-13 15:29:07

Can't believe all the whingers on here. If you don't want to do it, don't. Is that difficult? Put your energy into something positive instead.

But for all the women who are doing it, good for you!

I'll be shuffling along at the back, wearing pink, raising money in memory of a friend who died on Mother's Day, leaving three little children. Hope nobody has a problem with that.

Plenty of my sponsors are men, none of them has an issue with the women-only aspect of the race.

interestonly Sat 04-May-13 15:31:47

Message deleted by Mumsnet for breaking our Talk Guidelines. Replies may also be deleted.

KobayashiMaru Sat 04-May-13 16:51:48

You want to find an event that your DH can join in? Why not try EVERY OTHER BLOODY event out there then, FFS? Instead of whining about your poor downtrodden man heartless banned by the big bad women? hmm

neverlateforwork Sat 04-May-13 17:25:05

I know soooooooo many women who only take part because it's non-threatening and actively encouraging for women. It allows the unfit, the unwell, and those who have literally just off the couch to exercise in public without being subject to criticism. it isn't competitive at all - it's a fundraiser - that's not to say that people don't compete, but anyone who has actually tried to take part knows that sheer volume means you can barely manage a jog for most of the way.

I know no men at all that would be seen taking part, which is probably why the male equivalent flunked big time. That isn't to say that there isn't a need for men who are equally unfit, fat, or unsporty to be allowed to exercise in public without fear of being pointed at and laughed at, but that this is not the event to force the issue.

If RFL opened to men, the numbers of women taking part would plummet. It would lose the 'safe' aura, there would be a slack handful of blokes to replace the women, and the events would be cancelled, leaving a huge hole in the cancer research coffers.

In an ideal world, women wouldn't feel they needed a safe space, of course. But it's fairly stupid to deny that's the way many women do feel...

Fwiw, I've done a few, in solidarity with female friends weighing in at around 24 stone. There is no way at all they would have taken part in any other event. No way. I wear my 'other mother's' name on my shirt when I run RFL. She died ten years ago of bowel cancer.

If I run for me, I choose other events. (I ran the London Marathon and GNR for cancer research). There are plenty of them. So many that you can pretty much pick and choose something that fits your needs - and still raise money for CR.

There are places for female-only participation, and this one 'run/walk' is one of them. And I speak as someone who would generally fight to the death for non-gendered opportunity.

neverlateforwork Sat 04-May-13 17:27:40

Interestonly - if it was your wife running it in memory of her dead mother, I bet it would be a packet. Otherwise, you feel free to sponsor runners in mixed events - there are plenty of them. The money ends up in the same coffers. I'd rather you sponsored where you felt comfortable doing so, and the millions of women who are unlikely to take part in any other sporting event in their lives, felt comfortable enough to come out for RFL. Fortunately, their sponsors will more than make up for your pettiness.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now