to wonder why boys can't run the race for life?

(148 Posts)
ParadiseChick Sun 28-Apr-13 20:53:24

Trying to register, my 11year old nephew fancied it, but no space on the online form for anything other than ms, miss, Mrs, Dr, rev or prof in the title space. Is it women only?

ParadiseChick Mon 29-Apr-13 13:41:08

Am I required to have an issue?

Yes, DN is 11 and can run with me. Although I'm looking into other entry level fun run type things that even DH could join us for.

He isn't a professional competitive runner, would be nice to run it together but we can't.

My DN asked specifically about R4L as his grandad (my dad) died last year of bowel cancer. He knows Cancer Research as a charity as we collected for them at the funeral. Shoot us now for wanting to participate in a highly publicised event for a charity an 11 year old relates to.

For me, a very novice runner with not much knowledge of events and a TV, R4L is the first thing that comes to mind as it is so well publicised as an event. I'm not advocating women only, men only, dog only races - it would just be nice to particrpate together. Lucky for DN the year he's asked to do this he can, won't be able to next year which is a shame.

But, no issue, just interested and open to people's experiences and views on the matter - is that alright with you? hmm

pickledginger Mon 29-Apr-13 14:00:06

Your AIBU was 'to wonder why boys can't run'. They can.

toboldlygo Mon 29-Apr-13 14:16:12

Apologies YoniMNHQ, I misunderstood, I thought you meant that all personal attacks had been deleted not just those that had been reported.

ParadiseChick Mon 29-Apr-13 14:24:25

Oh dear.

There's a difference between asking for clarification of a fact (can boys run? Yes they can, under certain circumstances. End of discussion) and wondering why something is the way it is, having a discussion about it, hearing people's views and experiences on the matter.

I am wondering, questioning, asking and listening to the people on the thread with a useful input.

Are we ok to carry on discussing the matter in this thread or would you rather I asked for it to be shut pickled you know, seeing as I have my answer and all that.

pickledginger Mon 29-Apr-13 15:57:12

I would rather if you have an issue with an event being woman only you address that directly without using your nephew.

ParadiseChick Mon 29-Apr-13 16:19:07

Eh?

higgle Mon 29-Apr-13 16:29:07

They mentioned loss of revenue if ti was not women only. I certainly wouldn't sponsor anyone in a race which excluded either sex from competing.

Lazyjaney Mon 29-Apr-13 16:36:10

You'd think that all men are Neanderthals all rushing to trample everyone underfoot to grab the glittering prize here!

But even if some delicate women just couldn't run with hairy scary men around, barring boy-kids just seems a tad spiteful (or agenda-ed) to me. I have sons, I wouldn't enter or sponsor anything that barred them - it would annoy me tbh.

pickledginger Mon 29-Apr-13 16:50:55

They aren't barred. Boys under 12 are welcome.

SirChenjin Mon 29-Apr-13 16:58:44

What, so boys over the age of 12 suddenly become knuckle-grazing mouth-breathing ogres who shouldn't be in the vicinity of women for fear of offending our sensibilities? hmm

I must confess to being unaware that the R4L was female-only until this thread, and in fact I sponsored a friend just this morning who is taking part at the weekend. I won't be sponsoring anyone taking part in future I'm afraid, just as I wouldn't sponsor any national charity fundraiser which specifically banned my DD from taking part due to a lack of penis.

My mum died of cancer last year so it's a cause very dear to my heart, but nope, R4L is off my list now.

bollockstoit Mon 29-Apr-13 17:11:31

But it won't matter if you do stop sponsoring R4L entrants, will it SirC? They will still make plenty of money for cancer research, which is surely the point?

KansasCityOctopus Mon 29-Apr-13 17:23:27

so you wont be sponsoring anyone participating in Movember which is about raising money for Testicular Cancer then.. because last i heard, growing a moustache was a male only event.

bollockstoit Mon 29-Apr-13 17:25:54

Don't tell me I can't grow a moustache just because I lack a penis! wink

StepAwayFromTheEcclesCakes Mon 29-Apr-13 17:34:41

women are amazing when they get together, the female solidarity feeling is a joy. The world is full of things for men to enjoy with or without their partners, why oh why do we have to share every bloody event we organise for women with the poor little loves? I used to organise International womens day conferences and every bloody year I had to have the same conversation as to why men could not attend. did they organise one for themselves? did they heck as like. Yes men are great too but nothing beats for me that feeling of being amongst a group of women who understand you. I run it and DH and DS! and 2 come and yell from the sidelines, DH is a runner, he is happy to enter other stuff and support me in this ONE event. THAT is why men are not invited, its organised for women, Movember anyone? (apols to any hairy women out there who join in with that one)

StepAwayFromTheEcclesCakes Mon 29-Apr-13 17:37:34

if you care about the charity surely you give whoever its organised for ffs. I gave to Movember, I care that family members died from fucking cancer I DO NOT care who runs in what event or collects in whatever way they choose as long as money is being raised to help say fuck off to cancer.

SirChenjin Mon 29-Apr-13 21:32:37

Nope, I can give to charities linked to my mum's cancer in plenty of other ways - I can just choose not to donate to R4L on the grounds that I don't approve of their stance on not allowing the men/boys in my family to take part. You're right Bollock, it won't stop them making money which is as it should be, but this form of segregation doesn't sit right with me. I've never got the whole wimmin/menz solidarity thing though tbh.

Growing a moustache is most definitely NOT a male only event Kansas - you just wait until you reach your mid-forties grin

pud1 Mon 29-Apr-13 22:02:13

Have you heard of the relay for life [http://relay.cancerresearchuk.org/site/PageNavigator/Home]. I have only heard of it recently. Looks more inclusive

pud1 Mon 29-Apr-13 22:03:06
MilgramsLittleHelper Fri 03-May-13 16:16:26

•Around 158,900 males and 156,300 females were newly diagnosed with cancer each year in the UK during 2007–09, corresponding to incidence rates of 427 per 100,000 males and 371 per 100,000 females
•Around 81,600 males and 74,600 females died from cancer in each of those years in the UK, corresponding to mortality rates of 209 per 100,000 males and 151 per 100,000 females

Source: Office of National Statistics
http://www.ons.gov.uk/ons/rel/cancer-unit/cancer-incidence-and-mortality/2007-2009/index.htm

Good luck to the Race for Lifers and the good that they do, but for the reasons above we do need more events of similar magnitude that the guys can get involved in directly. Race for Life started from humble beginnings but people played the long game and it grew into something awesome. Run for Moore was doing fine, but then it was pulled after three years. The reasoning was due to lack of takeup- I've also heard this reasoning in Mens health service provision- Men don't visit their Health Care provider so no point in offering them certain diagnostic checks. So give the guys a chance, raise some cash and make the whole thing fairer! smile

SisyphusDad Fri 03-May-13 20:33:14

Have read the entire thread with - ahem - interest and would like to add my perspective - personal and "manz" both - to it.

My OH managed the R4L last year, a couple of months before she died of breast cancer and leukaemia. She and her friends came in a clear last but dammit, she did it on her own legs all the way! She was accompanied, informally, by our two under-12 DSs. This year they've asked if they could do it again, in Mummy's memory; not determined but 'would like.' I had to explain - paraphrased for effect because I'm a bit irritated - that sorry, they - or more to the point I - have the wrong shaped bits between my legs.

The most commonly cited reason on this thread for it being women-only (OK, I can't be bothered to read the FAQs) seems to be that men would be "too competitive". Well, if the advance (female-only, of course) guard at last year's event weren't competitive, I don't know another word for what they were. And as for my fragile, competitive male ego, I would probably be rather embarrassed to be beaten by a snail that had sniffed super-glue and accidentally spilled some of it on itself, but that's about it.

/Rant WHY THE FUCK IS THIS EVENT EVEN SEEN AS A THEATRE FOR COMPETITION? WHAT'S WRONG WITH YOU PEOPLE? /End

Havent bothered reading all the thread as I got slightly stabby at the derogatory terms used towards men, such as the "little loves"

Equality is equality. I would not support anything that encourages sex discrimination, on any grounds. For tge posters who have asked if it is neseccary, I suggest you consider reading and re-reading the post above.

One comment suggested the men could get involved by cheering confused what a shame them pesky feminists didnt take that advice and do the same when their husbands went to vote.

Letitsnow9 Fri 03-May-13 22:17:15

I don't understand it other than the marketing of 'girls come together', 'girls you owe this to your sisters', I'm a fan of raising money for research into cancer (although am a little sad that cancer research only give 1% of their funding to childhood cancer) but not such a fan of all the tickled pink or race for life girly thing! It's great your nephew wants to join in

Letitsnow9 Fri 03-May-13 22:20:01

"Have read the entire thread with - ahem - interest and would like to add my perspective - personal and "manz" both - to it.

My OH managed the R4L last year, a couple of months before she died of breast cancer and leukaemia. She and her friends came in a clear last but dammit, she did it on her own legs all the way! She was accompanied, informally, by our two under-12 DSs. This year they've asked if they could do it again, in Mummy's memory; not determined but 'would like.' I had to explain - paraphrased for effect because I'm a bit irritated - that sorry, they - or more to the point I - have the wrong shaped bits between my legs.

The most commonly cited reason on this thread for it being women-only (OK, I can't be bothered to read the FAQs) seems to be that men would be "too competitive". Well, if the advance (female-only, of course) guard at last year's event weren't competitive, I don't know another word for what they were. And as for my fragile, competitive male ego, I would probably be rather embarrassed to be beaten by a snail that had sniffed super-glue and accidentally spilled some of it on itself, but that's about it.

/Rant WHY THE FUCK IS THIS EVENT EVEN SEEN AS A THEATRE FOR COMPETITION? WHAT'S WRONG WITH YOU PEOPLE? /End"

Bless your boys, and what a mummy they have. I'm sorry to hear you lost your partner, what amazing determination she must of had to complete it and what wonderful boys you have.
Wish cancer research would read this. I know people who have complained to them about various things, especially the % of childhood cancer funding and they are just shot down

pickledginger Fri 03-May-13 22:27:46

It is such a success because it's women (and boys) only. There are hundreds of events that are mixed. There have been men's fundraising events and these have been cancelled due to lack of interest. Race for Life gets women that would never normally consider running to get involved because it's a bunch of women running together.

MilgramsLittleHelper Fri 03-May-13 22:37:19

"There have been men's fundraising events and these have been cancelled due to lack of interest."

Is that lack of interest by Men or lack of interest by the organisations that have the funding and the contacts to carryout such events??

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now