Note: Please bear in mind that whilst this topic does canvass opinions, it is not a fight club. You may disagree with other posters but we do ask you please to stick to our Talk Guidelines and to be civil. We don't allow personal attacks or troll-hunting. Do please report any. Thanks, MNHQ.

to wonder why boys can't run the race for life?

(148 Posts)
ParadiseChick Sun 28-Apr-13 20:53:24

Trying to register, my 11year old nephew fancied it, but no space on the online form for anything other than ms, miss, Mrs, Dr, rev or prof in the title space. Is it women only?

Have to say, I'm not totally in agreement with their reasons why not, but I understand them. There are LOTS of men for whom 5K is sufficient challenge.

As for setting up your own event, I know someone who did. For male breast cancer and testicular cancer. Trying to get ANY coverage in the local press to publicise the event and get others to take part resulted in almost no coverage at all. Because it wasn't organised by a major national charity and didn't have their huge backing in terms of admin and marketing was the excuse constantly given. So it was a one-off event and much as those of us who ran it and tried to publicise it wanted it to continue, we couldn't afford to.

ParadiseChick Sun 28-Apr-13 21:31:16

But why have separate events? I run a little, dn enjoys joining in, dh runs a bit too. None of us competitive or even timing ourselves, just keeping active. And we all care about cancer. So it would be nice to do something together.

Their reason for it being female only smacks off daft women in pink being scared of the manly competitive men.

ParadiseChick Sun 28-Apr-13 21:33:39

But it's ran for cancer research, not specifically breast cancer (which isn't strictly female).

Fleecyslippers Sun 28-Apr-13 21:34:52

Did you READ the links that people have posted ? hmm

ParadiseChick Sun 28-Apr-13 21:38:38

Yes I have fleece, that is for asking. Why would you think I haven't?

That link says very little other than enough are too competitive, they tried a men only one that didn't work...

I'm still wondering why though. Is it really that unusual for a faq page to still leave someone questioning something?

LippiPongstocking Sun 28-Apr-13 21:39:57

"We have trialed 5k events for men in the past. Run for Moore in aid of the Bobby Moore Fund was a 5K series of events for men which in 2009 we took the difficult decision to cancel. Unfortunately there was insufficient interest from men to take part and to return their sponsorship money, making it difficult to justify investing in it any further"

McNewPants2013 Sun 28-Apr-13 21:41:53

The same could be said about football, there is Liverpool men and women..... Why not combine the genders in all sport.

What annoys me is when there is something specifically for women has got to be made into something that seems sexist.

There are events men and women can race in aid of cancer. Like SHINE if you care to read any of the links.

Branleuse Sun 28-Apr-13 21:42:31

I've seen blokes do it in drag

purrpurr Sun 28-Apr-13 21:43:36

I think she's raising a valid point here, and judging from the links provided by lots of folk, it sounds like what is a sexist event will continue to be so because it makes good business sense. When you're in the business of saving lives... Fair enough. Almost. I do think its right to question this.

jellybeans Sun 28-Apr-13 21:44:26

It should be open to all. Ridiculous.

Fleecyslippers Sun 28-Apr-13 21:44:28

I'm sure if you give Cancer Research a ring, they'll whip their fund raising team and strategy planners into shape for you and let the menz join in.

Or you could just go and sign yourself up for a fundraising event that appeals to your exacting nature?

ParadiseChick Sun 28-Apr-13 21:45:41

Oh yes, a night time marathon walk does not equal a 5k run!

Jeez o some of you are like dogs with bones, I read the gratefully received links, I took Google lessons, I still have questions about the whole thing really. Is that ok?

ParadiseChick Sun 28-Apr-13 21:47:31

Right o fleece, I'll give that a go and hereby solemnly swear not to question, ponder or attempt to discuss anything ever again.

MrSlant Sun 28-Apr-13 21:48:41

If it was for men and women then my competitive DH would have done it with the women from work and I would have looked after the children,
as it is, I run it with the women from his work, it is great fun and he looks after the children. There are hundreds of 5k events out there every weekend but only one 5k event that gets women from lots of different groups to gang together, train and have a great time running in a brilliant atmosphere. I am totally for everyone being the same regardless of gender but for this I can happily make an exception seeing the amount of people who train for this when they wouldn't a normal 5k and the huge amount of money raised. I think there are a lot of women who, sadly, would feel self conscious racing with men but not in this and if it brings them to enjoying running and starting other more inclusive races then that is great too.

Fleecy I think your attitude is unwarranted, even with this being AIBU

Fleecyslippers Sun 28-Apr-13 21:54:49

'MY' attitude VoiceofReason ?

That's really, really REALLY tickled me grin

ParadiseChick Sun 28-Apr-13 21:55:57

So is it the fun run aspect of it that appeals to the lassies? I will Google and look into similar fun more family friendly 5is, I'm sure there are some out they, don't get your knickers in a twist I will look into it myself, just on the back of the advertising and publicity of the race for life (it's even advertised on the kids channels so I'm guessing that's why it's the event that's grabbed my nephews attention) out was the first one that came to mind. I knew it was doused in pink but had no idea it actively excluded men.

shallweshop Sun 28-Apr-13 21:56:33

Why can't men and women just do their own things sometimes without it being sexist?

YoniRanger Sun 28-Apr-13 22:01:30

Poor Men, never get anything just for them hmm

Fleecyslippers Sun 28-Apr-13 22:03:11

I think MN should start a campaign. Raceforlifetoincludethepoormenz.

wine

BikeRunSki Sun 28-Apr-13 22:04:18

ParadiseChick, you and your DN might be interested in Parkrun.

specialsubject Sun 28-Apr-13 22:04:32

it is women-only. Not that I sponsor anyone for this kind of thing, but I definitely don't contribute for this. Imagine the outcry if there was a men-only race.

to donate to cancer research, give some money directly to the charity; no overheads, no banners, no litter pink ribbons. Remember that Justgiving etc take 5%.

ParadiseChick Sun 28-Apr-13 22:04:33

Dear me fleece, you have isshoos.

WTFisABooyhooISBooyhoo Sun 28-Apr-13 22:04:41

aren't there other 5k runs for cancer that are open to both men and women?

<i have no idea as i've never looked into it>

"What annoys me is when there is something specifically for women has got to be made into something that seems sexist."

^^agree with this.

fengirl1 Sun 28-Apr-13 22:05:16

Does anyone know if you can horse ride it? Can't find any info which helps. smile

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now