DH and making Sunday 'lunch'

(50 Posts)
IDoTakeTwo Sun 28-Apr-13 19:51:24

I need to preface this by saying dh is pretty right on. We usually both work until stuff is done and then we both relax.

However, on Sundays our Doc have sport training. Generally there is 'stuff to do' so we get in with it.

So DH usually cooks a roast or similar. It is now 7.48 and it still is not ready! It is a bloody chicken and some roasties. The DC are knackered and this was planned for an early night.

Aibu to wonder how long it should take? As it is late every bloody week, why not start it earlier?

Is there something I am missing?

kinkyfuckery Sun 28-Apr-13 19:54:21

Bloody hell that's a bit late, what time did he start?

seriouscakeeater Sun 28-Apr-13 19:56:55

Do it your bloody self then

Tee2072 Sun 28-Apr-13 19:57:26

Is there a reason you don't do it yourself if he never does it at a reasonable hour?

kim147 Sun 28-Apr-13 20:00:04

Is it a big chicken? When did he start?

Snazzynewyear Sun 28-Apr-13 20:04:15

I would have sent them to bed after some other food and planned to give them leftovers tomorrow. Yes we need to know start time.

My DH is like this. A brilliant cook, but is rubbish at cooking to a schedule, so what we do now is that he asks, 'what time do you want to eat,' and he tries to work backwards from this. Most of the time, it's late, like an hour or so.

The alternatives are that he cooks a Sunday lunch when an hour or so doesn't really matter, or he does something less complicated like bangers and mash or fish fingers.

What I tend to do on the days the DCs have sports, is to make a pasta bake or something that can be made in advance and microwaved.

Erm, am I missing the point?

Why didn't you do the dinner then? If you want it earlier, do it yourself!

picnicbasketcase Sun 28-Apr-13 20:09:33

Either do it yourself, or at least start cooking it at a reasonable time and then let him do the rest.

Nagoo Sun 28-Apr-13 20:14:28

I'd have made a sandwich and sent them to bed. YANBU.

Can't you give them something else and reheat it all tomorrow?

hwjm1945 Sun 28-Apr-13 20:18:01

Just like dh tonight!kids knackered.need early night,he said he would do tea,baked pots and cottage cheese and bacon,all stuff we have in.aiming for 6pm to eat,ready at seven ten.took so long cos he had to go out and get s cucumber and feta to make a Greek salad to go with it.he did not think to put spuds in oven until he had gone to shop come back and made Greek saladshock

Nehru Sun 28-Apr-13 20:20:41

i dont see the DIY comments are useful

WHy should she not expect a meal involving kids before 8
its thoughtless of her H

EggsMichelle Sun 28-Apr-13 20:28:40

DH decided he wasn't hungry so wasn't cooking at 5.30 hmm this left me no time to eat until now (bathed, fed and put DS to bed first) I was very hungry!

IDoTakeTwo Sun 28-Apr-13 20:51:37

Well as he is a rational adult, I would think him capable of planning.
He has been a parent for a long time, so is presumably familiar with mealtimes.

I kno it sounds a bit ungrateful. But it is not as if he is doing me a favour is it?

He does not seem to twig that you can put something to cook before people are actually home.

I do cook 6/7, so don't see why I should,patronise him by taking over.

But I did not think I was bu, but then people,rarely do, do they?

kim147 Sun 28-Apr-13 20:52:50

Please say you've eaten now grin

IDoTakeTwo Sun 28-Apr-13 20:53:00

Chicken was not size of albatross, honestly. He put it in at 4.45. Not sure how it took 3 hours!

IDoTakeTwo Sun 28-Apr-13 20:53:56

We have eaten, and it was very nice. Just about two hous later than I think it should have been served.

Nb, we did discuss busy weekend , practice SATS tomorrow and need for early night.

CitrusyOne Sun 28-Apr-13 20:57:41

FIL is the same. 'Dinner will be at 4pm' he says. Rarely is it done before 6pm.

kinkyfuckery Sun 28-Apr-13 21:01:19

He didn't put dinner on until 4.45?? What time did he plan on it being ready for?

IDoTakeTwo Sun 28-Apr-13 21:06:29

My guess would be 5pm!

This is the man who made a dentist appointment for 16.20 when his plane arrived at gatwick at 15.45.

He does not seem to understand the passage of time.

Perhaps I am married to dr who

Nehru Sun 28-Apr-13 21:09:08

Practice Sats?!! People take Sats seriously?

Lady. No

Thingiebob Sun 28-Apr-13 21:11:10

I am married to someone who doesn't understand the passage of time as well!

wonderingagain Sun 28-Apr-13 21:13:17

He sounds like a scatterbrain. I bet he's a rocket scientist or a serious intellectual.

Unami Sun 28-Apr-13 21:14:48

Is that late? Really, is 8pm considered late for a week-end dinnertime? We usually eat around then, often later. I couldn't even imagine eating dinner before 7pm.

No idea how it took so long though.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now