to agree with Alice Roberts on Bounty?

(84 Posts)
WidowWadman Sun 28-Apr-13 10:47:47
Fillyjonk75 Tue 30-Apr-13 19:40:35

Someone came to take photos with both DDs (same woman) but she didn't give out free stuff or information. I had free stuff given by the hospital before DDs were born and forms given out by midwives.

WilsonFrickett Tue 30-Apr-13 19:48:54

I think Fliss point is highly relevant. The Stena stairlift rep isn't allowed into the geriatric ward, nor is the Betterware rep with the catalogue of kitchen aides. And these things are actually useful!

There's just no place for ANY sales reps on a ward.

McNewPants2013 Tue 30-Apr-13 19:58:57

For the people who do want photos done, you know you can hire a photographer to come on the ward. Book around visiting time and there should be no problem.

MiaowTheCat Tue 30-Apr-13 20:24:39

I'd have no issue with the ward photography thing - if it was done on a "you go to them" basis - if they had their couple of hours each day and you could either request a visit from them, or go to a day room or whatever where they were set up. I don't even have much of an issue with the marketing angle - I refuse to give phone numbers out - they've accepted that both times and they get my "tonnesofspam@notlookingatit.com" email address anyway.

What I DO have an issue with is the behaviour of their reps ON the ward - the barging into rooms and cubicles without checking it's suitable to do so (always sensitive on post-natal wards as you're never quite sure what bodily bits are being checked and utilised at the time) and their behaviour toward women who for whatever reason don't have their baby with them (and a side order of insensitive twuntage when confronted with babies with things like feed tubes in as well in some cases). Being stuck on that ward with those mums and babies was the longest, worst, most hideous night of my life, and then for that cow to rock up and demand to know where my baby was in the way she did - in the mental state I was in at that point could have really really shattered me.

I've got a vague memory of the other one that sometimes did that hospital coming in demanding my name and basically trying to pretend to be medical staff (I'd seen her writing all the names down off the board with a wheelie trolley full of Bounty bags earlier in the day - so I can only assume as to what she was doing)... but that one's a hazy memory compared to "where's the baby" bitch woman.

Wossname Tue 30-Apr-13 20:36:57

I just cannot imagine a ward of, eg, recovering from surgery having to deal with a salesman on the ward immediately afterwards.

In the hospital I had my children in, the Bounty salespeople wore pale coloured tunic and navy trousers so that they looked like fucking nursing staff and don't identify themselves as being there to sell anything. What the fuck? Why is this acceptable?

Wossname Tue 30-Apr-13 20:39:32

That should be 'men recovering from surgery'

Coristarz Tue 30-Apr-13 21:03:59

I agree with everyone who says the mini Sudocrem is the best bit in those Bounty packs.. the rest is just a pile of crappy vouchers and leaflets!

When I gave birth, the Bounty lady/photographer came around just as I was having a breastfeeding crisis and my OH told her we were not interested... She said "I'll come back later then!", we told her no thanks. In a ward of 4 beds, we were the only ones who declined having our pic taken...

Bearcrumble Tue 30-Apr-13 21:15:40

My first child was 5 weeks early and very small because I had IUGR. He was in SCBU. Bounty lady came to my single room every day (burst in on me without knocking every time, once whilst I was expressing) and expressed disappointment "why are you still here?" kind of comments. I had to stay in for a fortnight because I had deranged liver function. I was shell shocked and distraught and only managed a weak "well I am still ill".

With my daughter who thankfully was an uncomplicated birth I told the bounty lady I wasn't interested (a different one in a different hospital). Was on a normal postnatal ward this time but she also showed no respect for my privacy, pulling aside the curtains without asking. I had to really stand up to her to make her go away. Then a bit later she came back and demanded to know whether the baby was my first. I was so shocked I told her and was really pissed off with myself for telling her anything.

I don't like them and the stories about bereaved parents getting reminders are so sad.

Thurlow Tue 30-Apr-13 21:23:18

I did buy them, they were nice photos and we are all terrible photographers. But as another one with the baby in NICU but me on the normal post-natal ward, being pestered constantly when your baby isn't with you is horrible. If the NHS are going to let them on to the ward they should at least mention that the mums in certain beds have ill babies. Or the Bounty person could use some common sense when there is no baby with them!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now