Note: Please bear in mind that whilst this topic does canvass opinions, it is not a fight club. You may disagree with other posters but we do ask you please to stick to our Talk Guidelines and to be civil. We don't allow personal attacks or troll-hunting. Do please report any. Thanks, MNHQ.

to agree with Alice Roberts on Bounty?

(84 Posts)
WidowWadman Sun 28-Apr-13 10:47:47
AlistairSim Sun 28-Apr-13 16:23:40

Fucking hell, quote, that's appalling. angry

My bounty lady (I say lady, she was the same age as me and straight out of college with her camera bless her) was lovely. Didn't seem put out when I declined having photos taken.

Read some right horror stories though.

musu Sun 28-Apr-13 16:41:12

When I saw the Bounty lady she said "I can't take any photos of your baby because he's not here and I can't go to SCBU. In any case I'm sure you wouldn't want me to take photos with him covered in wires" hmm This during a time when at one stage ds wasn't expected to survive.

Then every day after that (for the 12 days I stayed in hospital out of the 25 days ds was in SCBU) she would make similar horrible comments. I wish now I had told her what I thought of her.

BangOn Sun 28-Apr-13 16:45:52

It's only going to get worse as the nhs disintegrates

WidowWadman Sun 28-Apr-13 16:49:09

Thinking about it, what do Bounty pay to HMRC for the right to include the child benefit forms into the pack?

They are scumbags for exploiting vulnerable women.

That said, they did do a good job of my DD's photo. They removed the marks from her face - she had significant cuts on both sides & over one eye, from the forceps.

But they are still generally scumbags (as an organisation, I'm sure lots of the individual ladies are nice enough).

Piemother Sun 28-Apr-13 18:54:21

Musu I am aghast at your experience. What an evil bitch hmm

zeno Sun 28-Apr-13 19:29:03

I have posted before about my experience but it's worth repeating to illustrate why non medical people should be kept away from the ward.

Bounty lady came into our private room and tried to get names and address from me and dh.

When we asked why she wanted that info (being cynical suspicious types) she finally disclosed who she was. From here on we were trying to get her to leave us alone, but she wouldn't go.

She kept trying new angles, including the cb form and the freebies. We were quite clear and polite in saying no, please leave us alone.

In the end she asked us whether this was our first, at which point all bets were off. Our older dd had died just weeks before. We told her, fairly bluntly, and again asked get to leave.

Her parting words: "Oh well, at least you've got a nice little replacement there."

The hospital staff all knew what had happened to us and handled a difficult situation beautifully well. One person not in the loop, tactless and ignorant, greedy for commission, undid so much of their work in trying to protect us and help us.

Commercial interests do not belong in medical settings. We go there as patients, not customers.

Quoteunquote, I'm so sorry about the impact they have had on you. they are unscrupulous bastards who prey on the vulnerable and have no compassion.

MiaowTheCat Sun 28-Apr-13 19:50:54

I scared the resident one on the post natal ward of the hospital I had DD1 away so badly she would scarper on sight of me for the whole time I stayed there.

Horrific utterly traumatic delivery of DD1 who had gone straight down to NICU as she was prem, and me dumped in the middle of a normal post-natal bay, so when the ward woke up on the morning - the women in there saw me with no cot by my bedside and you could see their thought process wondering if I was some bereaved woman driven mad by grief who was likely to try to steal their babies etc - and then the Bounty bitch arrived... barged into my cubicle and demanded to know where the cot and baby were.

I don't know how I did it, considering how utterly terrified and worn down I was by everything by then and how scared of everything I was - probably resentment for the way she'd ploughed into me crutching my way around the ante-natal department in the past... but I ripped into her so badly she spent the rest of the time I was on the ward avoiding me (ward staff got me a bounty pack for the child benefit forms out of their store cupboard anyway). Probably the one time I managed to be assertive during that entire stay.

Fucking bitch.

musu Sun 28-Apr-13 21:25:53

It was worse in hindsight than at the time as I was obviously so focused on ds that her behaviour kind of went over my head. I do remember being surprised that she was allowed just to wander around the ward.

eccentrica Mon 29-Apr-13 21:47:08

shock I had my daughter in a birth centre so was thankfully spared the visitation of the Bounty lady. I am truly shocked by the stories I've read here.

FannyBazaar Mon 29-Apr-13 22:34:15

I wonder what would happen if Sudocrem pulled out of Bounty? Are the two companies linked? The sudocrem seems to really attract people and of course encourages them to use it whether it is needed or not.

IneedAyoniNickname Mon 29-Apr-13 22:41:37

The bounty lady when I had ds2 was lovely, possibly because she had a product to sell, who knows! But 6.5 years later the photo she took remains one of my favourites.

However, I'm horrified at some of the experiences I've read on here sad

RedHelenB Tue 30-Apr-13 07:05:17

Sorry Miaow but you laid into the wrong person, understandably. For most mothers those photo packs are special & good value for money.

The whole Bounty scheme is awful and their reps shouldn't be allowed to bother postnatal women.

On the other hand, Mama Packs are fantastic and full of really useful stuff - definitely worth getting.

I didn't even get any Bounty Packs or get a visit...I heard about them though and they were the first parenting forum I used, and the only one for ages. Met some great ladies on a certain part of that site, however all these stories are hideous! I had no idea they were like that.

Wannabestepfordwife Tue 30-Apr-13 07:55:08

Dp rarely loses his temper but he was about to tell the bounty woman we had to f#%* off after our sixth no on the photos and she still kept pushing.

She was even worse to the woman across from me who had a cs was alone and could barely speak English trying to manipulate someone that vulnerable is disgusting

Sneezingwakesthebaby Tue 30-Apr-13 08:52:21

Good value for money redhelen?! shock

Wishiwasanheiress Tue 30-Apr-13 08:55:33

I hate them. So much I will not spend any further time thinking about them. Possibly my shortest comment ever.

MiaowTheCat Tue 30-Apr-13 09:39:51

I laid into the "wrong person" - I laid into someone barging into the bed curtains without asking, and snarling at me demanding to know why I had no baby at my bedside. She didn't ask nicely - she's one of those ever so cheerful people for whom snarling demands is their natural form of communication anyway (she'd driven her trolley of packs AT me hobbling along on crutches several times when I was in ante-natal and she was refilling the bags in there). She was a vile, rude bitch and deserved it all. (The one working the other hospital in our area was actually a lovely lady, very polite, respectful of people's space and the word no - unlike her Rottweiler with PMS counterpart 5 miles away)

The hospital need to rethink their proceedures if they're going to allow them to continue on the ward though. Even just some indicator on the patient list board of mothers who don't have their babies WITH them so that kind of situation doesn't arise and their don't get knocked on with the photography trolley until their baby is up on the ward... and some way of working around SYMPATHETICALLY (I've heard some awful tales of insensitivity on this one) babies with feed tubes etc in - because the tales of them coming and going "oh you won't want photos with that horrid thing in his nose" are bloody wrong too.

As for the free pots of sudocreme - I'm still drowing in the stuff NOW... I was in hospital with DD1 for that long that the number of abandoned pots I was given by people who couldn't be arsed to take theirs home as they had a big tub at home they'd already bought was getting well into the double figures. Even if I tried to re-render the house in the fucking stuff I could probably still have a surplus!

MiaowTheCat Tue 30-Apr-13 09:44:09

And Musu's story that I've just read again flags up the need for them to seriously look at their processes regarding babies in special care and the comments about wires and tubes which are well-documented in lots of cases.

Either that or the hospitals need to pull their head out of their arses about where they accommodate mums with babies who've been taken to the unit in terms of their post-natal provision (hint - a room full of mums with babies and a rampaging Bounty lady isn't the answer) - but I think that one's a step too far in terms of hope really!

ShadowStorm Tue 30-Apr-13 10:00:00

Totally agree with Alice Roberts opinion on Bounty.

DS was also taken immediately to SCBU as he was premature. The midwives put me in a private room on the post-natal ward, which I thought was very kind of them given my circumstances.

The Bounty lady barged straight into my room - ignoring the closed door - looked around the room, and demanded to know where the baby was. She went away, as soon as I'd said DS was in SCBU - didn't make any comments about photos at all, I think she was a bit embarrassed? - but I found that very upsetting.

I think that if hospitals are going to let Bounty ladies onto post-natal wards at all (and I think it would be much better if they didn't), they need to have some way of letting them know which mothers shouldn't be pestered. No-one who's got a baby in NICU/SCBU or a stillborn baby needs to have a Bounty lady asking them where the baby is.

SuffolkNWhat Belgium Tue 30-Apr-13 10:01:04

Surely if Bounty must be on the wards then they should stay in one place and either be fetched to do the photos or Mums who can walk take their baby to them instead.

The Bounty lady when I was in pulled my curtains open with her arse whilst taking photos of next door's baby. I was in the process of having my stitches checked and my catheter removed. I was exposed to the whole ward including visitors. The midwife doing my checks chased the stupid Bounty woman off the ward and told her to not come back.

That's a good idea, Suffolk. If there was a room to go to if you wanted to see the Bounty people, that would be fine.

Some of these stories are so sad. Things like this wouldn't be allowed to happen in any other hospital department.

ShadowStorm Tue 30-Apr-13 10:36:28

The idea about the Bounty lady being in a room, so only mothers who want to see them will see them, sounds much much better than the current arrangement.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now