To be getting increasingly pissed off with Doctor Who's sexist attitude?

(102 Posts)
FairPhyllis Sun 28-Apr-13 02:35:56

In Doctor Who this evening there was an exchange where the Doctor is trying to get Clara and the TARDIS to get on nicely together. He puts the TARDIS into 'basic mode' for her. She is slightly put out and asks him if he's done that because she's a girl. He says no of course not. Then we get a shot of him grimacing - we're clearly meant to understand that what he said is a fib.

Really, Doctor Who? Really? A 'ha-ha girls are rubbish with machines' joke that would disgrace a 70s sitcom?

There have been other snidey snide Woman!ZOMG moments and really depressing treatments of female characters for a while now. Well, I say 'characters'. Clara seems to be cut from the same 'sassy woman who thinks the Doctor's just fab' cookie cutter that Amy was.

AIBU in thinking that this isn't really good enough for a flagship children's show? Do the (all-male) writers not think girls (and women) watch it too?

edam Mon 29-Apr-13 21:30:47

Very interesting re. the Bechdel test. It's the kind of insidious sexism that happens without the people responsible being consciously sexist - clearly it doesn't even occur to Moffat that female characters may do interesting things or be interesting in their own right.

I once ran an interview with the author/illustrator of the Topsy and Tim books. Her husband used to do the words and she's now carrying on without him. She said he naturally wrote the stories with all the active interesting stuff around the boy twin - she swapped the names around and the stories worked fine with the girl getting to do some interesting stuff. grin

Donna was my favourite companion - she and No. 10 had such a great relationship as best mates. Rose and Donna both grew hugely as characters - it's too early to say for Clara but it doesn't look promising so far, given death tends to inhibit character development.

Pendeen Tue 30-Apr-13 17:08:13

I don't think so Dadonice.

I don't mind at all.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now