Note: Please bear in mind that whilst this topic does canvass opinions, it is not a fight club. You may disagree with other posters but we do ask you please to stick to our Talk Guidelines and to be civil. We don't allow personal attacks or troll-hunting. Do please report any. Thanks, MNHQ.

AIBU To say Tom Cruise ruined Katie Holmes career?

(127 Posts)
HoveringKestrel Sat 27-Apr-13 22:49:02

Katie left him, seeing the light about his Scientology and/or his odd choice of life
Katie is obviously a good mum
Katie is a good actress
Katie is one of the most beautiful women EVER

I can't help but see her in past roles and think....."oh katie, you had such promise and didn't know what was coming"

I LOVE how much she takes care of her daughter. But....she could have been the next Reese Witherspoon or Amy Adams.......and she isn't.

Fargo86 Sun 28-Apr-13 03:07:01

That isn't true LittleFeileFooFoo.

JennyMackers Sun 28-Apr-13 08:43:15

WTFisABoohooIsBooyhoo eh no, huge leap there, I meant that if he were gay and if it were a shomance, then she would have known in advance obviously, x,y & z would have been expected of her in the public eye but she would have been free otherwise. Her level of misery towards the end of that marriage seemed so palpable, could a contractual shomance make her so miserable ?? Maybe. He is such a controlling character and had power over her dd. That is what I meant. It's not odd logic to suggest that the break down of a real relationship causes a lot more pain.

JennyMackers Sun 28-Apr-13 08:48:54

also, Tom Cruise divorced NK, and took her by surprise in the same way that KH took TC by surprise. So astonishingly, it wasn't NK's decision to divorce TC, it was his.

And again if that marriage were a fake marriage, a showmance would NK have been as shaken as she was by it?

So my point is that I don't think he is gay. It just doesn't stack up. All of his divorces are too fraught with a real shcok/pain. I think he's a controlling fuckwith but personally I don't believe that he is gay.

Smellslikecatspee Sun 28-Apr-13 08:50:41

Kevin has not 'come out' and thanked his GIRLFRIEND in his last speech at the Oscars.

cleoowen Sun 28-Apr-13 08:52:00

She's not a great actress and even before meeting him hadn't done much but I agree once she married him her career seemed to disappear.

Good mother? Not IMO. She dresses her like she is an adult.with high heels etc. carries her everywhere and gets her only designer clothes. She's not going to be a very down to earth or well rounded child IMO.

Plus, what's wrong with Reece Witherspoon s parenting (minus the recent drunken episode) I like her. Steady you see.her with her children unlike someone like Kate moss.

JennyMackers Sun 28-Apr-13 09:08:51

he thanked his girlfriend at the oscars?!! no way. awks!

Whitewineformeplease Sun 28-Apr-13 09:14:00

Michelle Williams was in Dawson's Creek though and she's an A-lister now. She's a fantastic actress. Katie Holmes? Not so much. Tom Cruise is a nutcase though.

chanie44 Sun 28-Apr-13 09:25:38

I think Tom actually helped her career: getting her face known through being photographed with Tom, studios giving her roles to keep him happy and him introducing her to his powerful contacts.

Whitewineformeplease Sun 28-Apr-13 09:32:57

But she didn't do the Batman sequel because of him, I'm sure I read that somewhere? And Nicole Kidman's career improved as soon as they split up. (Moulin Rouge)
(Ahhh, this is the kind of thread I like, pointless gossiping about celebrities!)

Tryharder Sun 28-Apr-13 09:35:55

Meh. She would have been completely forgotten without TC. I love TC by the way although I am probably the only person on MN to admit to that.

DowntonTrout Sun 28-Apr-13 09:48:08

I always assumed TC was gay. I also think there was some problem with him being able to have children. I think he left his first wife- mimi? Because of this.

Then he and NK adopted their children together. When they divorced she went on to have a natural child with her new husband. So the issue was clearly not with her.

I thought it very suspicious when TC and KH had their baby. His whole demeanour and bizarre behaviour was really OTT ( jumping on Oprahs sofa shouting"I'm in love.") my suspicion is that he picked a young, malleable actress, who looked just like him, hair colour, eyes etc, so that "their" child would appear to have his characteristics. This is only speculation and guesswork but whatever way you look at it, TC is just odd.

I won't know whether the whole 'contract marriage' thing is genuine but I do think that whatever TC's sexual orientation, he must expect certain behaviour from his wives, and however they were conceived/adopted he does have children with both women. Even if they were adopted or conceived as part of a showmance agreement they are real children and there is bound to be a lot of emotion and pain involved. I suspect that he promised all sorts to the mothers then either he reneged, or the scales fell from their eyes about the nature of Scientology which led to the breakdown in relationship (whatever the nature of it was)
I read that he wanted to send Suri to some indoctrination school and that is why she got out.

JennyMackers Sun 28-Apr-13 10:22:21

Yes. It's unfair really to say that she marriedhim, she could have said no. It was her first marriage, his third, there is what, 16 years age difference, he would have been in the driving seat and to begin with, childfree, with her own money, and other potential suitors, and a few irons in the fire, she probably thought she could hold her own inn the relationship. I made that mistake myself!!!

JennyMackers Sun 28-Apr-13 10:24:29

Downton Trout, yes, it's true, I think a child that looks like KH also therefore automatically looks like TC. Not saying she's NOT his, but........ they do look alike. I used to work with a guy who facially was the spit of tc. Lovely guy, taller, skinnier, his teeth are closer to TC's original teeth!!! but men who look like TC aren't that RARE I bet.

DowntonTrout Sun 28-Apr-13 10:52:43

It's true that KH has free will and seemingly chose to marry him, she could have said no, and I suppose we will never know whether it was true love or if it was a contract with conditions attached.

But there are so many famous/ powerful men who clearly surround themselves with beautiful women to give the impression of being straight. But who do they think they are fooling? I'm thinking of TC, GC, JT, most of Kelly Brooks chaperones and my favourite one of all- the lovely Simon, who has an entourage of exes that follow him around and accompany him on holiday. Another one who publicly declared his love for his fiancée on national television. Quell surprise that that wedding never happened.

cocolepew Sun 28-Apr-13 11:10:46

Scarlett Johannsen and Jennufer Garner has both said they were offered an interview with TC and his 'people'. SJ thought it was for a film until she got there and realised it was to be his wife. JG was the first pick, but she wouldn't play ball. A couple of other actresses has said the same.
Bizarre.

thebody Sun 28-Apr-13 11:14:47

Think she would have sunk into oblivion without Tom.

Never thought she was a good actress.

She needs to stop dressing her daughter up like an adult IMO but to be honest I couldn't give a rats ass about her.

Rich and spoiled.

GoombayDanceBand Sun 28-Apr-13 11:21:18

I need the truth before I can decide. I need to know about the contracts and stuff.

He is very small isn't he, and very peculiar.

Lighthousekeeping Sun 28-Apr-13 11:45:47

Really, though, what makes us think that these men are gay? Is GC as camp as Christmas behind closed doors? Why can't he just be an eternal player? Not everyone's the settling down type. Does anyone know mariella Frostrup? Didn't she date him?

DowntonTrout Sun 28-Apr-13 12:09:02

GC portrays the image of eternal player brilliantly. It makes women want to tame him.

It was the same with Rock Hudson.

I can understand that in those days it was not acceptable to be gay ( maybe even illegal? Or am I imagining that? Any how..) but I have good information on one or two celebs, friend of friend type stuff, who are openly gay behind closed doors, but in public are ladies men.

"fake" relationships are incredibly common. Some just because it suits both parties for self publicity, some to hide their sexual orientation. Whoever it was who made the comment at the oscars about all the men with beards in the room wasn't referring to their facial hair.

JennyMackers Sun 28-Apr-13 12:25:23

probably ricky gervaise!

JennyMackers Sun 28-Apr-13 12:26:50

GC not camp but he does live with waldo suarez, I think it is an open secret that can not be printed in the media.

cocolepew Sun 28-Apr-13 13:32:06

I don't understand really big stars like GC not coming out. It wouldn't damage his career surely? He's pretty much a big shot where Hollywood is concerned.

pickledginger Sun 28-Apr-13 13:46:13

I never understand why it matters either way. It's not as if your chances of sleeping with them have actually changed! And sexy is sexy. Knowing a man is gay doesn't stop him from being attractive.

pickledginger Sun 28-Apr-13 13:46:33

To me I mean!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now