AIBU To say Tom Cruise ruined Katie Holmes career?

(127 Posts)
HoveringKestrel Sat 27-Apr-13 22:49:02

Katie left him, seeing the light about his Scientology and/or his odd choice of life
Katie is obviously a good mum
Katie is a good actress
Katie is one of the most beautiful women EVER

I can't help but see her in past roles and think....."oh katie, you had such promise and didn't know what was coming"

I LOVE how much she takes care of her daughter. But....she could have been the next Reese Witherspoon or Amy Adams.......and she isn't.

See I thought she was perfect in Dawsons creek. I thought though that these series can often be the death of an actor/actress as no one ever sees them as anything else. I'm glad she's left that idiot though. That's going to be the big thing to shake off. Have her known as who she is and not "Tom cruises wife/ ex wife"

I like her so ill give her the chance grin

Fakebook Sat 27-Apr-13 23:31:56

Thank goodness Joey ended up with Pacey. I hated Dawson beak nose with a passion.

fakebook I liked him and Audrey together. I was gutted when they turned her into a drunk and she got all extreme. smile

Apileofballyhoo Sat 27-Apr-13 23:57:59

Did Katie have facial work done when she got married? I always thought she was prettier before and looked a bit off after but maybe I'm wrong.

sweetiepie1979 Sun 28-Apr-13 00:09:31

fakebook !!!! Did joey end up with pacey? NO WAY! Can you remember which series? I really fancied pacey how did I miss that!

likeitorlumpit Sun 28-Apr-13 00:11:15

i never heard of her till she met him blush

thezebrawearspurple Sun 28-Apr-13 00:12:03

She ruined her own career by behaving like an absolute idiot when she got together with him. Look at her interview with David Letterman while she was promoting Batman, so bad it's hilarious.

BreatheandFlyAway Sun 28-Apr-13 00:12:23

Well not sure about her being overlooked as an acting genius, but I love her for being a great mum, for being so beautiful but happily scruffy and for having escaped from TC and scientology. She did it so cleverly and I'm an admirer of her as a person, also fairly envious of her looks, figure and dosh wink

candyandyoga Sun 28-Apr-13 00:12:24

He is gay isn't he? I have always thought so too and heard stories

JennyMackers Sun 28-Apr-13 00:16:51

I don't know if I can agree with that really. Where are the rest of the cast of that thing she was in, with pacey. Dawson's Creak, that's it. Are all of them A-listers? She just got a stonking great contract with Bobby Brown, and she's advertising handbags as well. Omg, money for OLD ROPE. So, she's earning. $$$$ ker ching. Ker ching. Not winning oscars no. But still.

I think Tom Cruise is a scary weirdo and I'm glad she's escaped.

pickledginger Sun 28-Apr-13 00:18:17

He seriously ruined Jack Reacher. The character in the books is well over 6 feet and built. Not a creepy pixie-man.

JennyMackers Sun 28-Apr-13 00:22:00

if tc were gay though, would she have been as miserable as she clearly was with him. if he were gay wouldn't they have been more like friends. and if he were gay, why bother to divorce nicole kidman? not saying I know because I don't have a frind who had a cuddle with him in a hot tub! so I'm just wondering out loud here.

LittleMissLucy Sun 28-Apr-13 00:23:33

Rubbish actress. He probably opened more door for her, where she could prove how rubbish she was (Kennedys series WAS cancelled before transmission, after all).

JennyMackers Sun 28-Apr-13 00:30:25

and back to TC and the gay or not issue that floats over him, unlike say ceorge gooney, tc isn't linked to anybody. it's just known isn't it that ceorge gooney's partner is waldo, but in all these years, has anybody (male) been linked to TC? can he really be that good at hiding it?

YouTheCat Sun 28-Apr-13 00:36:27

I'm pretty certain he's gay but he will be an angry gay person because his religion will not allow him to be gay - same for John Travolta.

JT hid his gay lover for a long while.

Lighthousekeeping Sun 28-Apr-13 00:42:35

I don't think he is say. Just strange. I don't know anyone who's met him in rl. Or George Clooney. It would be weird wouldn't it if they came out of the closet at this stage. How would that work? Cany anyone think of any A list Hollywood men that are out and proud?

YouTheCat Sun 28-Apr-13 00:51:39

Kevin Spacey?

Lighthousekeeping Sun 28-Apr-13 00:52:38

I didn't know he was open about it. Is that why he moved to the UK?

Tortington Sun 28-Apr-13 00:53:37

im smiling becuase i've seen yur other thread and so there is a context.

otherwise, i'd be all WTAF

Bogeyface Sun 28-Apr-13 00:54:14

Back to the OP.

YABU. SHe is a terrible actress, if anything her marriage to TC made her more bankable than she ever was before.

YouTheCat Sun 28-Apr-13 00:56:25

I don't rate Katie Holmes and it was her decision to marry TC. She could have said no.

WTFisABooyhooISBooyhoo Sun 28-Apr-13 01:01:47

umm, she did nothing beyond dawsons creek. tom cruise carried her a bit further than she ever would have gotten on her 'talent' alone. now she's left him, she's umm, doing nothing. her career ended about 10 years ago.

WTFisABooyhooISBooyhoo Sun 28-Apr-13 01:05:43

"if he were gay wouldn't they have been more like friends. and if he were gay, why bother to divorce nicole kidman?"

yeah 'cause all gay men are friends with everyone hmm

why bother divorce? maybe because NC didn't wnat to be marrie dto a gay man? maybe because TC didn't want to be married to a woman?

odd logic you have going on there.

Fargo86 Sun 28-Apr-13 02:47:26

She was a very good looking young girl, but she was never a great actress.

LittleFeileFooFoo Sun 28-Apr-13 02:54:42

Kevin Spacey has been out for a while now. About when American Beauty came out he did too!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now