Note: Please bear in mind that whilst this topic does canvass opinions, it is not a fight club. You may disagree with other posters but we do ask you please to stick to our Talk Guidelines and to be civil. We don't allow personal attacks or troll-hunting. Do please report any. Thanks, MNHQ.

AIBU for declaring Graham Norton better than Alan Carr?

(23 Posts)
HoveringKestrel Sat 27-Apr-13 21:47:50

To begin, I know they are both gay but that isn't the point, their shows clash!

I think he is SO funny, and his facial reactions, questions and witt seem to beat Alan's skills into invisibility.

Maybe it's because Graham has had a longer running fan base on the chat show circuit, but when I listen to him on BBC Radio 2, he's actually quick witted.......and Alan just isn't.

Am I alone in this?

Theironfistofarkus Sat 27-Apr-13 21:49:19

Completely with you. Alan seems sweet but does not do it for me.

RedHelenB Sat 27-Apr-13 21:49:35

YANBU

wombleside Sat 27-Apr-13 21:53:33

YANBU. Graham Norton is just funnier and a bit more groundbreaking IMO.

HoveringKestrel Sat 27-Apr-13 21:54:31

Excellent. I know the BBC can probably afford more with Graham Norton chats to Tom Cruise rather than Alan Carr chats to Made In Chelsea, but all Alan Carr seems to do is chat booze and make it all about him being gay!!! Graham Norton never even seems to mention it anymore.

HerBigChance Sat 27-Apr-13 21:54:57

Graham is fab. I love his radio show too.

SoleSource Sat 27-Apr-13 21:55:42

YADNBU

Alan Carr is about as funny as having nail hammered in your head.

likeitorlumpit Sat 27-Apr-13 21:55:55

sorry im team alan smile

HoveringKestrel Sat 27-Apr-13 22:11:32

likeitorlumpit....like your name, I'm lumping it. Alan is cheap.

Still18atheart Sat 27-Apr-13 22:29:32

YADNBU I find Alan too in your face and I have to be in the right mood and his show is slightly more annoying somehow . I also think that Graham has better guests on and it's just more relaxing on a Friday evening .

SwedishEdith Sat 27-Apr-13 22:39:28

Oh, no comparison. What I love about GN is that I know nothing about his private life. Unlike bores like Chris Evans.

likeitorlumpit Sat 27-Apr-13 22:43:11

thanks but you can stop the niceties hoveringkestrel im not changing teams smile am i still the only one sad

SanityClause Sat 27-Apr-13 22:48:31

I do like Graham Norton's radio show, except for that awful Maria woman. How did she get to be an agony aunt? She is always so awful about the problems; not empathetic, and very unhelpful. Bobby Prior who does the traffic always gives much more considered responses, IMO.

ShotgunNotDoingThePans Sat 27-Apr-13 22:58:29

Yes Alan Carr's show does come across a low-rent in comparison; strange when you think about the advertising revenue.
I find GN charming and somehow more humane - although I'm sure AC is a nice person.
I do find it boaksome when he fawns over people twats like Cheryl Cole, whereas with GN, when he's with, say, Madonna, you just know he's playing the game so as to get the interview, but couldn't really give two shits about her.
He also feels much more in control, so you don't have any sense things could go tits-up at any point - although I suppose that's experience as much as anything.

Mehrida Sat 27-Apr-13 23:06:55

Can't believe nobody else has said it yet, I get to be the first...

YASooooooooNBU grin

Iaintdunnuffink Sat 27-Apr-13 23:09:46

Yanbu

Much as I'm willing to watch AC and enjoy it.

Pancakeflipper Sat 27-Apr-13 23:09:51

Alan is lovely but Graham is just getting better and better.

He has the right balance of laughing with guests and not humiliating them.

And he made me giggle this morning on his radio show when he lost the plot over poor old Barbra's bush plight.

cleoowen Sat 27-Apr-13 23:11:30

I love Alan and saw him in his last tour but I do change over from his show to nortons. He has better guests,longer chatting time and you feel like you really get to know them, he seems to get more out of them

I think Jonathan Ross s show is rubbish!

MardyBra Sat 27-Apr-13 23:14:03

YANBU. Graham all the way.

Although he's a lot less outrageous now than when he used to do his channel 4 show in the nineties.

kennyp Sat 27-Apr-13 23:14:42

I am team gralan. I watch them both. its comfortable sitting on this fence

MardyBra Sat 27-Apr-13 23:20:26

He did go a bit far by the end on C4.

Does anyone remember the millennium when he got a woman to shoot ping pong balls from her fanjo on the stroke of midnight. I've tried to find a clip on You Tube, but it seems this wonder has been erased from the collective memory.

MardyBra Sat 27-Apr-13 23:23:45
MardyBra Sat 27-Apr-13 23:23:55

Bit

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now