ZOMBIE THREAD ALERT: This thread hasn't been posted on for a while.

To wonder when hairdressers will realise... (Trivial)

(141 Posts)
HaveTeaWillSurvive Sat 27-Apr-13 21:04:13

That no-one wants a head massage when their necks are going to break on those awful hair washy sinks?

Seems to be a lot of hairdresser threads going on at the moment but I'm still bruised after getting my hair done on Wed and I'm just wondering if anyone actually finds them relaxing or are you all just as desperate as me to get the hair washing bit over with!

Clearly not the end of the world but they didn't even ask this time so I could opt out. So, AIBU to ask for hairdressers to go back to just a quick wash and a chat about your holidays?

<skulks off to rub neck and sooth with liberal wine >

wol1968 Thu 21-Jan-16 16:07:20

Can't stand the head massage and always ask not to have it done. My scalp is supersensitive, especially round the hairline and nape of the neck, and the slightest hair pull can really, really hurt. I had a clumsy junior once, years ago, who completely messed it up and I was in so much pain I ended up crying blush I think the poor girl resigned after that, she obviously wasn't cut out for the job.

Mincedpie Thu 21-Jan-16 16:06:15

I can't bear having my hair washed at the hairdressers, I especially hate the head massage. I now wash it before I go and save myself £10 in the process, win win.

SweetSuz Thu 21-Jan-16 16:00:53

I adore the head massage/wash bit and most people I know do too. Only thing I dont love is when they dont put on the moulded sink/neck cover in order for you to not endure pain/stiff neck/bruising afterwards.

mermaidinshoes Thu 21-Jan-16 15:48:25

Absolutely convinced that the hairdresser pulling my neck awkwardly over the sink caused my Bells Palsy a couple of years back. Felt the burn immediately and within 2 days full Palsy had struck.
Now have a hairdresser 'do' me at home!

I love going to the hair dressers. I enjoy having my hair washed and having a head massage. I enjoy a good old natter and a cup of tea & a biscuit. I love leaving the salon and looking a million dollars. Great experience all round personally smile

SoupDragon Thu 21-Jan-16 12:36:45

My haircut costs £70 but it looks absolutely fabulous. Until I wash it smile. I spend very little on myself really so this is my luxury.

U2HasTheEdge Thu 21-Jan-16 12:35:15

I love them! My old hairdresser was amazing at them.

Sadly she fucked up my hair extensions.

Now I have a mobile hairdresser who doesn't wash my hair, so head massages now sad

AnotherTimeMaybe Thu 21-Jan-16 12:11:36

I have the same beef about the price but at my salon they charge around £270 for cut blow dry and highlights but they do a bloody good job! Tried to go elsewhere but got nothing like it! Hence I do it only twice a year it'd be impossible otherwise! And yes they do the best head massage ever for this price!

Bunbaker Thu 21-Jan-16 11:15:47

A cut and colour costs me £47.50.

TooMuchRain Thu 21-Jan-16 10:48:42

YANBU I don't like the head massage - I really appreciate it when they ask so I can easily opt out.

I don't mind saying I don't want one but often forget it's coming and then once they have started I am too embarrassed to say I hate this please stop!

NeedACleverNN Thu 21-Jan-16 10:31:02

My hairdresser is a bit pricey.

£45 for a cut and style with the senior stylist

A cut and colour could be £70-£120.

However since I only get my hair done once every 6 months I think I'm allowed that bit of luxury

Bunbaker Thu 21-Jan-16 10:26:54

Are you in London Namechanger? That is an extortionate price for a haircut.

A cut and blow dry at my local salon is under £25.

LyingWitchInTheWardrobe Thu 21-Jan-16 10:25:12

I don't put up with stuff I don't like and I don't know why some posters are assuming that because some of us say we don't like something, that we sit there and suffer in silence. I'm quite happy to smile and say 'No head massage, thanks' as I'm sitting at the basin for my hair to be washed.

I'm interested now though... does anybody sit and suffer wishing they would have spoken up? grin

NameChanger22 Thu 21-Jan-16 10:23:26

My main beef with hairdressers is the price of a haircut. My hair is fine and it takes less than 10 minutes to cut well. So why does it cost £30 to £40? I don't know anyone that earns that much for 10 minutes work. Cutting hair isn't rocket science. I could do it myself (without any training) if I could reach around the back.

Last year I got a quote for a cut and colour of £170, WTF, I immediately walked out. I think they've just got greedy. And I blame people who pay it for letting them get away with it.

I don't go to the hairdressers anymore.

Hellochicken Thu 21-Jan-16 10:17:11

I don't like the massage either, like having my hair washed tho.

Don't like to chat either, here they keep asking questions until they find out "who you are?" (Small city) As in who you are related to, where you live, and what you do. Once they have finished that, and I've just answered one word answers when possible, they just stick to cutting hair!

Bunbaker Thu 21-Jan-16 10:15:44

"Also the massage thing on the chair. I don't like that eithersmile"

What's that then? I just get a hair wash and that's it. Maybe my hairdresser isn't high end enough.

Why do some people put up with some aspects they dislike when visiting the hairdresser? Just tell them. They won't know that some customers don't like a head massage unless you open your mouth. I have worked in sales and marketing all my life and would be mortified if I found out that I was doing something to piss a customer off. You don't have to be rude about it, just ask politely.

NeedACleverNN Thu 21-Jan-16 10:12:19

I love my hairdressers

Their chair adjusts and so does their sink and they wait for you to get comfortable before proceeding.

They ask if you want a head massage and I've never declined it as it's so relaxing I don't want it to stop!

They also offer a small 1 minute back massage with vibrating pad things and that is blissful.

I have an appointment this Saturday and I can't wait

It is so relaxing and enjoyable

Tamirwen Thu 21-Jan-16 10:07:47

I just ask them not to. I really dislike it - I had absolutely no idea what they were doing the first time it happened and thought the hair-washer had gone mad.

Having a magazine helps convey the message you don't want to chat, but I've also found a good stylist can simply tell by your smiley-but-short answers. Any that continued regardless would make me uncomfortable, but I'd consider that their issue not mine.

PrivatePike Thu 21-Jan-16 10:07:03

Zombie, raaaarrr

Leelu6 Thu 21-Jan-16 09:54:54

YABU, I love it, best part of a visit to hairdresser.

I'm very relaxed at the sink.

Maybe you're sitting at a weird angle? Pipe up tell them you're not comfortable. Or wash your hair at home before a cut (and save ££)

UhtredRagnorsson Thu 21-Jan-16 09:50:24

I love the head massage usually. Once a trainee did it and it was horrendous though. So I guess it does depend who does it.

museumum Thu 21-Jan-16 09:50:16

I love the head massage. My hairdressers always ask if you want it, I get the feeling they're hoping you say no and I always feel guilty saying yes please but dammit ice paid for it!

chuffinalong Thu 21-Jan-16 09:50:11

I love having my head massage! I think if you just mentioned beforehand that you didn't want it, then most hairdressers would be fine with that.
I think they do want you to enjoy the experience so would rather be told.

LovelyFriend Thu 21-Jan-16 09:45:41

YABU. I love the head massage etc.

I do not want the inane chit chat thanks very much. I prefer to sit in a silent meditation while getting my hair cut.

I recently had my hair cut (abroad) and the salon had the fanciest washing chairs that were sublimely comfortable (but I believe super expensive)

skyeskyeskye Thu 21-Jan-16 09:43:27

Before my hairdresser changed her sinks, I used to kneel on a chair for a forward wash because I cricked my neck if we did a backwash.

However, she got new sinks and chairs that slide forward so that you are in the right position and I get on fine with them now.

Previously, all I had to do was actually tell her that I did not want a back wash and therefore I didn't get one....

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now