Note: Please bear in mind that whilst this topic does canvass opinions, it is not a fight club. You may disagree with other posters but we do ask you please to stick to our Talk Guidelines and to be civil. We don't allow personal attacks or troll-hunting. Do please report any. Thanks, MNHQ.

To wonder when hairdressers will realise... (Trivial)

(75 Posts)
HaveTeaWillSurvive Sat 27-Apr-13 21:04:13

That no-one wants a head massage when their necks are going to break on those awful hair washy sinks?

Seems to be a lot of hairdresser threads going on at the moment but I'm still bruised after getting my hair done on Wed and I'm just wondering if anyone actually finds them relaxing or are you all just as desperate as me to get the hair washing bit over with!

Clearly not the end of the world but they didn't even ask this time so I could opt out. So, AIBU to ask for hairdressers to go back to just a quick wash and a chat about your holidays?

<skulks off to rub neck and sooth with liberal wine >

Jinsei Sat 27-Apr-13 21:45:40

I love it!! I don't find it at all uncomfortable. confused

Callycat Sat 27-Apr-13 21:47:51

I'm with Euphemia. It's a level of intimacy that I don't want from a stranger.

Then again I'm a miserable old bugger who hates social interaction grin

Callycat Sat 27-Apr-13 21:48:55

Oh, and ... last time I had it done, the hairdresser sat me down afterwards and asked if I'd "enjoyed that?" Eurgh! Felt like I'd paid for sex, or something. Yuck.

(issues)

Euphemia France Sat 27-Apr-13 21:50:52

Me too Cally! I'd rather go to the dentist than the hairdresser - it only takes 5 minutes rather than 2.5 hours, and I'm not required to make chit-chat!

I'm a teacher - I talk for a living. In my own time I like quiet. smile

I do ask my hairdresser not to put much product on and I only have a wet cut, she roughly dries it but I still don't tend to feel comfortable with the new cut till I have washed and dried it myself. She does do brilliant cuts though and lots of sound advice about shampoos etc.

Still18atheart Sat 27-Apr-13 21:53:57

Went to hairdressers last week. And I didn't even bother until i was asked for a trashy mag just got myself one anyway. I know i was probs being vvv rude but it mean silence for 30 blissful minutes smile

2.5 hours? What on earth? I'm in and out in 45 mins tops.

itsnothingoriginal Sat 27-Apr-13 22:11:55

YANBU those sinks hurt!! Otherwise the massage might be quite nice..

As for chit chat - I can't remember the last hairdresser who actually made any conversation with me at all never mind inane chat about holidays!!

Horsemad Sat 27-Apr-13 22:30:45

I love the head massage!

My hairdresser is going mobile - how does that work when you have a colour - does it make a mess of your bathroom when they do the colour?
Part of the treat for me is going to the salon, so not sure whether to not have my hairdresser come to my house and start with another at the salon instead.

i love having my hair washed in a salon. not that i go very often.

i dont like all the blooming chit chat though. had an argument with the girl doing my hair last year

her: where are you from (live in wales! its obvs im not welsh)
me: i grew up just outside oxford
her: oh, living in london is very different to living here isnt it
me: no, i grew up in oxford
her: yes, but thats part of london
me: no its in the midlands
her: no you're wrong, its in london

mentioned that she was maybe thinking of oxford st but nope... oxford st AND oxford are in london. there was no getting through to her at all!

i gave up in the end and told her i was mistaken and she was indeed correct grin

PolkadotsAndMoonbeams Netherlands Sat 27-Apr-13 22:39:32

I have mine done at home usually. I had to go to a salon the other week, and absolutely hated the sink. It was so uncomfortable, and the 'points' came over my shoulders so I felt trapped <shudder>

No head massage though, thank goodness!

Primrose123 Sat 27-Apr-13 22:40:32

YABU!

I love the head massage but don't get it any more because a mobile hairdresser comes to my house. I could really do without the chat though, I just like to shut my eyes and relax quietly.

EarlyInTheMorning Sat 27-Apr-13 22:42:10

I'm so glad you've started this thread. I find the head massage so awful I often find it really hard not to burst out laughing there and then. I try really hard to concentrate on something else and pray it's over quickly.

DearPrudence Sat 27-Apr-13 22:46:52

I hate the washing and the head massage and the chatter, but my hairdresser knows and always tells the washer to do it 'as quickly and efficiently as possible, with no talking'. Then I feel embarrassed and feel the need to chat away to the washer anyway.

The worst is when they stick their towel-covered fingers in your ears to dry them! shock I nearly died the first time that happened.

TheCunnyFunt Sat 27-Apr-13 22:51:34

I don't really mind it. But what does annoy me is that every time I'm at the hairdressers they stay almost silent and the second they start washing/drying my hair while I can't hear, they strike up a conversation confused

sleepdodger Sat 27-Apr-13 22:55:06

Ybvvvvvvvvvu I loves it!

woowoo22 Sun 28-Apr-13 02:15:16

I love it. Their fingers always seem really pointy and good at digging on my skull. Mmm. ChaosTrulyReigns - you are not alone.

chocoluvva Sun 28-Apr-13 04:45:52

I stand over the sink. The hairdressers claim they don't mind.

natwebb79 Sun 28-Apr-13 07:18:51

YABU! The gorgeous head massage is the best bit!

My hairdresser has to wake me up after washing my hair. It takes an age as it's so long, and I always end up falling asleep.

It's somewhat of a running joke in my salon now.

PimpMyHippo Sun 28-Apr-13 08:04:35

You don't have to suffer the awful sinks! If you really hate it, just make sure you arrive with wet hair already and skip the washing bit. I avoid the hairdressers as much as possible, sitting in front of a mirror while a stranger tries to make small talk whilst touching me is my idea of hell. If the hair washing bit was compulsory I would definitely start cutting my own hair at home... Having my neck bent back like that makes me feel dizzy and sick, ugh.

SueDoku Sun 28-Apr-13 10:08:50

I absolutely love having my hair washed at the hairdressers -- and having the head massage. My hairdresser has sinks that can be height adjusted so that they are always comfortable.... I'm another one that would never wash my own hair again if I won the lottery (memo to self: start to buy a ticket now and again...) grin

RedRidingChops Sun 28-Apr-13 11:07:12

YABU! I love the head massage bit, the hair washing bit, all of it. Only hate having to take my glasses off. Last time I went to a new salon and they had massage chairs, never sat in one before. Oddest thing ever!

mrsjay Sun 28-Apr-13 11:16:26

Yanbu I am a bit of a wimp hair sensitive even a slight tough and it feels like it is being pulled out my head I hate it I sometimes fidget around my hairdresser takes the hint , I dont mind the chatting though

catgirl1976 England Sun 28-Apr-13 11:21:36

YANBU

I hate it

I have patches of psoarisis on my scalp. Going to the hairdressers is traumatic and embarassing enough for me without the added issue of someone trying to rub my scalp

Worse for me is when a full body massage includes a surprise head massage. I tell the hairdresser about my scalp issues for obvious reasons, but when I go for a relaxing back massage and am drifting off but then have to say 'stop, no not my scalp please I am a minger with a scabby head' it kind of ruins the moment

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now