ZOMBIE THREAD ALERT: This thread hasn't been posted on for a while.

To think they could find at least ONE inspirational woman to put on our bank notes?

(180 Posts)
MiniPenguinMaker Sat 27-Apr-13 17:37:42

I have to admit that I felt a bit miffed when I saw that Elizabeth Fry was being phased out and replaced by Winston Churchill from 2016.

There will be NO women left on British currency. Surely they could find a few? Emmeline Pankhurst perhaps?!

It gives the impression that the achievements of British women are not considered worthy of recognition. I have been getting really grumpy about this. I wonder who makes these decisions and whether this has even occurred to them. Am I being unreasonable to feel peeved that us women make up a significant proportion of the population and yet when we pay for things with our hard-earned cash it is a bunch of dead white men on there?

MiniPenguinMaker Sat 27-Apr-13 22:14:58

Nux, thank you for the link to that petition. I've signed it.

It can be found here for others who would also like to add their voice.

NiceTabard Sat 27-Apr-13 22:17:38

Feel a bit sad that there are people who genuinely can't think of a woman who could go on banknotes who are not "undeserving".

Really sad.

MoutardeDeDijon Sat 27-Apr-13 22:18:47

longfingernails
"But not because Maggie was female. Because she made Britain great again."
You are joking, right?

How about Rosalind Franklin who seems to have be written out of the discovery of the structure of DNA in favour of Watson and Crick?

sassytheFIRST Sat 27-Apr-13 22:22:04

While I agree that lack of women is a V Bad Thing, I believe there is a practical reason re the likes of Darwin - the beard has many many pen strokes making it harder to forge - unlike a female like nightingale ;who used to be on the fiver, iirc) whose hair was mostly hidden under a cap.

Obv doesn't apply to Churchill tho - unless his jowls are going to be drawn in excessive detail...

ratspeaker Sat 27-Apr-13 22:23:06

Some Scottish notes have Elsie Inglis, a doctor who opened a midwifery hospital in Edinburgh, often didn't charge.

What about the Edinburgh 7, the first group of women to study as doctors, they had to really fight to be allowed to attend lectures suffered verbal abuse and even had rubbish thrown at them.
The fiesty Sophia Jex-Blake surely deserves a banknote.

sassytheFIRST Sat 27-Apr-13 22:23:53

Emmeline Pankhurst or Betty Boothroyd would be Awesome, btw .

LaLaGabby Sat 27-Apr-13 22:30:45

I don't think that list means much. I think if mad people write to the BoE and suggest someone should be on a banknote they write back and say:

"Thank you for your letter. The process for choosing banknote designs is complex and secretive and undemocratic. We have added Mister Maker to the list of proposed names however it is impossible to say when a vacancy might arise which will allow him to appear on Bank of England legal tender, or if indeed that will ever happen. Please don't bother us again, we have other things to worry about. Don't you know there's a global economic crisis going on?"

Shagmundfreud Sat 27-Apr-13 22:39:04

Andrea Dworkin would be a great choice. A radical choice.

Failing that Hattie Jacques dressed as matron.

In this time of economic decline what we need on our banknotes is an image of a very large, very bossy woman. Remind us to knuckle down and crack on with it.

MiniPenguinMaker Sun 28-Apr-13 14:09:23

sassy, I can't decide whether you are joking or not when you say that beards are necessary for banknote security! Am I just really gullible?!!!!

Longdistance Sun 28-Apr-13 14:11:25

Didn't they used to have Florence Nightingale on the old £10 notes???

MiniPenguinMaker Sun 28-Apr-13 14:12:38

I think partly the problem is that women's achievements don't make it into the "canon" so easily... look at Rosalind Franklin not receiving the Nobel prize, etc, despite her huge contribution.

MiniPenguinMaker Sun 28-Apr-13 14:13:29

Longdistance, yes, Florence Nightingale has been featured in the past and Elizabeth Fry is currently on one of the notes (but is now going to be phased out and replaced by Winston Churchill). Those are the only women to have featured.

EffieTheDuck Sun 28-Apr-13 14:17:40

I think Mary Beard should be on a £L.

Longdistance Sun 28-Apr-13 14:20:57

Thanks mini, glad I wasn't imagining things smile

SomethingOnce Sun 28-Apr-13 14:21:51

Yes, yes to Mary.

Beard on a technicality grin

YohedYoshoulderYonisandYotoes Sun 28-Apr-13 14:24:08

I don't think Pankhurst should be on there - she was not a feminist until she met her husband who was, and who had put several bills before parliament to get women the vote before she met him. After she met him, she became a campaigner for women's votes bankrolled by his considerable wealth. I am not sure that is exactly the role model we are looking for - marry into money and then follow your husband's political objectives..smile

Fry is a good one, but what about Mo Molam and the peace process in Ireland?

YohedYoshoulderYonisandYotoes Sun 28-Apr-13 14:24:39

Oh yes! mary beard!

SomethingOnce Sun 28-Apr-13 14:27:37

I bloody love Mary Beard.

My heart does a little leap when I hear her voice on the radio - she's always interesting to listen to.

edam Sun 28-Apr-13 14:35:59

It's shocking that in 2013 the Bank of England can either not realise they are removing the only woman featured on our currency, leaving no women at all, or, more likely, not care.

And even more shocking there are some women who say 'that's OK because they'd only be token women', making the massive and flawed assumption that there are no important women who have made a contribution to British life. WTF?

KittenofDoom Sun 28-Apr-13 14:47:13

Personally I couldn't give a toss. It's not as though no women have EVER been on banknotes. I'm sure another one will crop up in due course.

drater Sun 28-Apr-13 15:28:53

Rosalind Franklin didn't get the nobel prize because she was dead, and it can't be awarded to dead people, not because she was a woman.

I think it's UK/British people on the notes only, so Dworkin would be out. I'm sure someone else will come along, and they're not going to change any note immediatly, so just wait and see.

amazingmumof6 Sun 28-Apr-13 15:33:26

should be Miranda Hart, that would be amazeballs! grin

NiceTabard Sun 28-Apr-13 15:33:59

Rosalind Franklin was however not recognised for her work for years, because she was a woman.

wiki

amazingmumof6 Sun 28-Apr-13 15:35:20

or a photo of a chilled glass of Bloody Mary....

drater Sun 28-Apr-13 15:35:39

I agree it would be nice and I think she does deserve more recognition for her work

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now