Note: Please bear in mind that whilst this topic does canvass opinions, it is not a fight club. You may disagree with other posters but we do ask you please to stick to our Talk Guidelines and to be civil. We don't allow personal attacks or troll-hunting. Do please report any. Thanks, MNHQ.

to feel like phoning the student loans company and giving them this person's full details?

(147 Posts)
bubblesinthesky Sat 27-Apr-13 17:01:52

I was at university with someone in the mid 1990s when student loans were just being brought in. He took the full loans but always said he would never pay them back if he could help it. I've stayed in touch with him and recently I mentioned i was happy because I'd finally finished paying my loans back.

He laughed and told me the Student Loans Company had lost track of him years ago and there was no way they'd ever get the money back off him now. He has a really common name so I imagine he would be hard to track down.

AIBU to be considering telling them where he is or should I just leave it? It seems so unfair when he's earning way more than me and has a huge house that he's dodging them in this way while others are struggling to pay them back.

I've no responsibility towards tattling on someone who has evaded an unfair educational loan system no, Dino. smile

Longdistance Sat 27-Apr-13 18:14:24

Don't worry, just leave it.

Karma will come and bite him on his arse soon smile

Snazzynewyear Sat 27-Apr-13 18:19:37

I would shop him. He knew he was incurring the debt - much less than is the case with students now - and he should pay his debt.

TheChaoGoesMu Sat 27-Apr-13 18:20:34

I guess you're not friends with this person then. You won't be after you shop him in thats for sure.

mrsfassbender Sat 27-Apr-13 18:23:36

this is a tough one but I am amazed they have lost him when its all done via NI number. I agree that karma will get him, don't get involved.

iiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiii Sat 27-Apr-13 18:28:14

Shop him wink. I see it as theft.

My DC's will have to pay £9000 a year tuition fees I don't think they should contribute to paying off your ex friends debt.

MummytoKatie Sat 27-Apr-13 18:30:28

If Op went to university in the mid 90s then she (and he) did get a free education. Tuition fees didn't come in until 1998.

So the money was not for his education - it was for living expenses while getting the education.

Just thought I'd point that out in case it changed anyone's mind.

Personally I would say that this is much worse than a benefit cheat (that mumsnet is usually totally for reporting!)as he always planned to do it and in no way needs the money.

Have to admit I'd struggle to report though for either this or a benefit cheat although I'd want to as I always struggle with "trigger pullin" decisions. (1938, have a gun, Hitler, for example.)

jamtoast12 Sat 27-Apr-13 18:32:00

I second what I said before, its not worth you shopping him as he's self employed!!! No one who is self employed declares their true income - that's the main benefit of being self employed. He will find out, he still wont 'earn enough' to lay and you will look bitter and jealous.

as for threw students, its estimated more than half will never pay back theirs either.

jamtoast12 Sat 27-Apr-13 18:32:14

For new students...

Billwoody Sat 27-Apr-13 18:38:29

Jam toast you are talking crap - I am self employed and I declare my full income. Are you and don't you? Is this why you hold that view?

FlowersBlown Sat 27-Apr-13 18:39:56

I wouldn't shop him. I would be interesting to know what the repayment rates are on those early loans. It is incredibly easy to get out of paying them because they rely on self disclosure of income. If you change bank account and your parents have moved house they don't seem to be able to find you either.

jamtoast12 Sat 27-Apr-13 18:42:45

I am not self employed... I'm actually a teacher but don't earn enough to pay mine back. If i did, i would have to pay and i have to defer every year so very much in the system.

I do know lots of people who are self employed and its pretty common amongst most I know. Indeed i have a few friends who work as subcontract accountants for companies and they know every trick in the book about fiddling incomes. It's pretty much standard in many companies even if you don't do it.

(I'm not saying I agree with it just that even the most 'honest' of companies have ways of dividing their income for tax purposes etc.

ryanboy Sat 27-Apr-13 18:45:22

whay would you want to do that? Jealousy and spitefulness are so often dressed up as social conscience on mumsnet

jamtoast12 Sat 27-Apr-13 18:49:32

flowersblown

On the old loans I have (from say 1996-2002) you need to earn approx £2450 gross before you need to pay and you pay back about £30 per loan per month. This is a set rate once you hit this threshold. You can defer if you earn less and they are wiped out after 25 years (I believe the new loans wipe out too in this way but you pay a % back - from conversations with friends kids etc, the repayments on the new loans are less than the old ones for those on average incomes but obviously more on higher incomes compared to the old loans). (Given most have 3-4 loans).

expatinscotland Sat 27-Apr-13 18:49:46

Shop him. There is NO such thing as 'karma', what a load of steaming wank.

Billwoody Sat 27-Apr-13 18:50:29

JT you make a good point. I have an accountant myself and I find i do not always take his advice. It upsets me that others think that all self employed take the piss though.
OP you should shop him - as others have said he has taken money that does not belong to him, had a free education and is of the age as I am that will have benefited hugely from house price inflation.
And he deserves it for being a crowing arse. <gavel>.

ThingsThatMakeYouGoHmmmmmmmmm Sat 27-Apr-13 18:58:51

Listen to all the people telling you it's none of your business, it's envy on your part, it's someones elses fault.

Spookily, the very same posters will be back on other threads moaning and hand wringing about cuts to government spending.

Completely oblivious to any connection. grin

MummytoMog Sat 27-Apr-13 19:07:15

Still paying mine back, started in 1998. Shop the fucker.

I wouldn't shop him, it's none of your business.

I don't agree that a self employed person using an accountant to use legal ways of lowering a tax bill is taking the piss. Self employed people get no paid holiday, basic maternity, harder to get a mortgage etc. They need something to balance that out.

HoHoHoNoYouDont Sat 27-Apr-13 19:21:49

I'm sure I read once that there is a certain amount of time they have to make you pay and if they can't find you within that time you're basically home and dry. Off to google it.

QueenOfIndecision Sat 27-Apr-13 19:22:35

i would probably shop him as it's stealing from all of us really.

HoHoHoNoYouDont Sat 27-Apr-13 19:24:38
FasterStronger Sat 27-Apr-13 19:30:01

I would shop him. There is no free money.

zeno Sat 27-Apr-13 19:32:00

I'm surprised at the presumption that self employed people do not declare their incomes. Do you realise how rude it is to say that?

IntheFrame Sat 27-Apr-13 19:32:04

Well I hope you tell him that you are planning to do this. Because obviously as a moral person you have the courage of your convictions...

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now