to feel uncomfortable putting make up on my 4 yo?

(78 Posts)
Flojobunny Sat 27-Apr-13 13:13:09

I know I am BU and I can't explain why.
I've always been one of these parents that said she can't wear nail vanish then I let her get her face painted and a local fete.
She is in a dance show on stage and I have to put foundation, eye shadow and lipstick on her. I've told myself its just stage make up and it isn't the same but as my DD puckers up and says I'm like a grown up now I feel rather uncomfortable with it all. Yet don't have a probably with her dressing up as a nurse or a policeman.
I'm BU aren't I.

Flojobunny Sat 27-Apr-13 13:14:46

Doh too many typos, need more sleep!
*at a local fete
*don't have a problem with her dressing up.

SomethingOnce Sat 27-Apr-13 13:21:36

I wouldn't have a problem with facepaint, but would have a massive problem with foundation, eyeshadow and lipstick.

What show is it? Jailbait - the Musical?

Ewwww, YANBU.

PandaG Sat 27-Apr-13 13:25:54

makeup for on stage is fine on a 4 yo - if you don't wear some sort of makeup you look completely drained under the lights. Ordinary makeup is much easier to get off than old fashioned greasepaint.

My DD is now 11, and I've bought her a cheap set of makeup from Aldi for on stage only I bought some for her so my better stuff didn't get lost in the changing room!

WorriedMummy73 Sat 27-Apr-13 13:26:04

Eurgh, I HATE this. Little girls don't need makeup for shows and it annoys me when they doll them up to the nines. Little girls are beautiful exactly as they are. I've always been of the opinion that I would simply refuse to put the makeup on, were it my daughter, and if the show organisers had an issue I'd say she was allergic to it!

FWIW, my DD (11) is in a production of The Wizard of Oz in June (as a Munchkin) and I'll be interested to see what makeup they come up with for that...

Flojobunny Sat 27-Apr-13 13:29:03

The organisers said she'd need it otherwise she'll look white and washed out under the lights.

PandaG Sat 27-Apr-13 13:30:14

dolled up to the nines it not nice I absolutely agree, but just a bit to avoid looking washed out is fine imo.

mrsjay Sat 27-Apr-13 13:30:24

*What show is it? Jailbait - the Musical?

Ewwww, YANBU.*

That is a disgusting thing to say about a young child it is a dance show

OP I think you need to either tone down the make or not put it on her at all she doesn't need it the dance school shouldn't insist ,

WorriedMummy73 Sat 27-Apr-13 13:33:33

She needs eyeshadow and lipstick to avoid looking washed out? Bollocks! And why is it a problem for a 4 year old to look washed out anyway? I would rather that than the child prostitute look. Does anyone remember the tv show Minipops from the 80s? Massive uproar about the makeup on the little girls and how it was paedophile(sp?) heaven, etc.

I'm not a pearl-clutching type, but the reasons for putting makeup on small children really pisses me off. Are there any boys in the show? Will they have foundation, eyeshadow and lipstick? Doubt it.

5madthings Sat 27-Apr-13 13:34:36

Its normal for stage make up to be applied for a show due to lights etc. Its just for play basically,I would feel uncomfortable but boys in a play have the same make up applied.

SomethingOnce Sat 27-Apr-13 13:35:55

I didn't say anything about a child, I was making a point about how awful i think it is to put a load of slap on a four-year old.

WorriedMummy73 Sat 27-Apr-13 13:36:57

Ok, but this isn't Broadway and this is a 4 year old girl, not Liza fecking Minelli. She does not NEED makeup, that's the point.

WorriedMummy73 Sat 27-Apr-13 13:37:54

I'm also still not buying that boys wear lipstick and eyeshadow. So why do girls need it? What does that have to do with them looking washed out?

ZombiesAreClammyDodgers Sat 27-Apr-13 13:38:10

YANBU.

SomethingOnce Sat 27-Apr-13 13:38:36

Lol at Liza fecking Minelli

5madthings Sat 27-Apr-13 13:38:59

I have been to lots of plays and productions, two of my boys have done stage productions, dancing and yes they wore stage make up.

madonnawhore Sat 27-Apr-13 13:39:40

DSD (5) came back from her mum's the other day with liquid eyeliner swooshes on her eyelids and nail varnish.

Made me feel really uncomfortable.

But then I did a lot of ballet shows when I was 8/9 and I remember we had to wear eyeliner and lipstick to make our faces stand out under the lights.

WorriedMummy73 Sat 27-Apr-13 13:39:41

5madthings - eyeshadow? Lipstick?

ParmaViolette Sat 27-Apr-13 13:41:29

If there is lights- you need make up.

I've did am-dram throughout my youth and was surrounded by orange foundationed and pink lipsticked girls AND boys all around show dates.

Usually I hate make up on little girls- but you do need it, or you have no face under the lights.

5madthings Sat 27-Apr-13 13:42:38

Use eye shadow and lipstick, mad data and foundation for a proper theater stage production.

We went to see James and the giant peach recently and all the men and boys had stage make up on as well, its not at all unusual.

5madthings Sat 27-Apr-13 13:42:50

Yes not use..

5madthings Sat 27-Apr-13 13:43:43

Exactly parma its the lighting for a stage production, not the same as a play in a school hall etc.

Flojobunny Sat 27-Apr-13 13:44:47

Yes there are boys in the show and yes boys wear the same: foundation and lipstick not sure about eye shadow, didn't look too closely.
Surprised by responses, I thought you'd all tell me I'm being an idiot and a hypocrit letting her wear face paints but feeling uncomfortable at stage make up.

ParmaViolette Sat 27-Apr-13 13:44:53

WorriedMummy73- the boys all had to wear foundation, lipstick, blusher, eyeliner and mascara at all of my shows I did.

Otherwise you look like someone has taken a picture with flash on right up close to your face under professional lighting

5madthings Sat 27-Apr-13 13:46:49

So the boys are wearing the same then? Standard for a stage show, yanbu to feel unco for table about it but it is part and parcel of stage performance.

I hope your dd has a great time smile

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now