Note: Please bear in mind that whilst this topic does canvass opinions, it is not a fight club. You may disagree with other posters but we do ask you please to stick to our Talk Guidelines and to be civil. We don't allow personal attacks or troll-hunting. Do please report any. Thanks, MNHQ.

To not understand why people pay for sky?

(255 Posts)
CanAnybodyMakeSenseofThis Fri 26-Apr-13 22:20:57

Due to technical issues, I'm running my tv through an old sky box I found in the loft. I don't have a subscription so can't watch any of the sky channels. However, I can see the listings.

It's so much poo it's unbelievable. Why do people pay for this?? Are they mad?

MumnGran Fri 03-May-13 07:00:34

Sky has restored my faith in TV that I want to watch!
I benefit from the occasional superb series (such as GoT) but most of all from retreat into older programmes or informative programmes. It is a relief to watch the box without a constant stream of bad language, psych treatments for the obsessively overweight , psych treatments for the obsessively skinny, gay banner waving, sexual antics, sexual problems ......and heaven help us, the appalling behaviours of a band of people from Essex.

I have obviously transformed into a 21st century Mary Whitehouse mimic .....but it does seem that she was spot on in her predictions.

Give me Sky options every time.

We are leaving Sky this month because we have the old problem of finding something to watch out of hundreds of channels.

We usually watch things on the beeb which defeats the object of having Sky really.

I will miss TWD and Game of Thrones dreadfully but I can look forward to the box sets. DH watches nothing on Sky shock

We are getting Freesat instead as we are rural and the picture isn't too good otherwise.

Three months and it will start paying for itself.

LtEveDallas Fri 03-May-13 06:30:23

If you are on any fan sites, or even MN, things like TWD get spoiled because fans chat about the current episode whilst its ongoing! I record with series link all the stuff I like and watch it later with no ads - it means I have to avoid the sites I otherwise enjoy. I was caught out in Series 2 of TWD when my FB showed a picture of a Zombie major character about an hour after the airing of the current episode! It was a shocker!

I don't watch much TV, maybe 2 hours a day, but in those 2 hours I only want to watch what I want to watch. So that's why I happily pay for it.

LadyIsabellaWrotham Belgium Thu 02-May-13 23:42:55

I've never had Sky, but I do find that being a year behind the rest of the world for GOT means you inevitably get spoiled. I'm not sure it would be the same for NCIS or Haven, because they're not so central to the Zeitgeist, so you probably wouldn't be spoiled accidentally in the course of a random newspaper article, but you'd still have to exercise quite a lot of self-control - I found out the ending of House despite promising myself I'd stay away from TWOP.

musu Thu 02-May-13 22:51:34

But if you never had Sky you'd be on whatever series of NCIS they are showing on C5 along with the rest of us and saving £30/month!

I suppose it comes down to how important tv is in your life. I will watch tv but I can take it or leave it in terms of following series.

LtEveDallas Thu 02-May-13 13:54:18

Does it matter if you can't get the new series though so long as new episodes from previous series are shown on Freeview channels

To me it does. In both the new series (10) of NCIS, the new series of Haven and Series 3 of The Walking Dead we have had the deaths of MAJOR characters. I wouldn't want to get rid of Sky now and have to wait over a year to find out the fallout from these deaths.

Plus the some of the series that are shown on Sky 1 or Atlantic aren't shown on any other channels.

There are other perks as welll, for example this week I have had "Your Sky" reminder for a brand new series starting at the weekend. I'd forgotten about it and it's a good service to have.

musu Thu 02-May-13 13:23:51

Does it matter if you can't get the new series though so long as new episodes from previous series are shown on Freeview channels. I think that Sky is a waste of money and I also wouldn't want to give any of my money to Murdoch. Although the original reason why I never got Sky is I hate hate hate the thought of a satellite dish being stuck on the side of my house.

musu, I think almost every TV channel in existence shows episodes of NCIS at some point (one of the rules of TV seems to be that there's always an episode of NCIS on somewhere) but I don't think you can get the new series on the free channels, can you?

Plomino Wed 01-May-13 17:58:32

We have Sky + HD . Don't have sports package as DH is only interested in F1 which we get anyway .

Why do we pay for it ? Because we can . I don't need to justify my televisual choices to the OP or anyone else .

snuffaluffagus Wed 01-May-13 16:20:31

My parents have virgin, we have sky... their virgin tv is always up the spout whereas we have minimal problems with sky. Now it's got Sky Anytime (with the iplayer/4OD/ITV player etc etc) it's brilliant.. and you can download entire "box sets" of old shows which is great.

Also, I love Sky Atlantic and Sky Arts etc... (we don't have the sports or movies packages).

IsaacCox Wed 01-May-13 15:35:34

I love Sky. We have all the packages for I think £54 a month. There is so much choice for everyone. I especially love Modern family, The Middle, Wife swap USA, loads of old reruns eg. The Vicar of Dibley, Only fools and horses. Documentaries, food shows, loads of music channels, sports etc.

Bunbaker Wed 01-May-13 15:32:54

And how many times do I have to say this:

Sky+ isn't the only device for recording TV

We record everything that we want to watch on commercial channels so we can zap through the adverts.

Sallyingforth Wed 01-May-13 15:06:38

We have to pay for Sky to be able to watch TV, as although I can see the TV mast from my kitchen window, we dont receive a usable signal. Apparently its due to "too many hills"

How many more times does this have to be refuted?

YOU DO NOT HAVE TO PAY SKY TO WATCH SATELLITE TV!

With a Freesat box you can receive satellite TV including HD channels. You get all the series recording options, pause etc. If you have previously had Sky you can use the same dish. All you miss is the extra paid-for channels.

Wishiwasanheiress Wed 01-May-13 14:42:06

What agentzigzag said.

I refuse to watch sodding adverts any more. It's bliss smile

Viviennemary Wed 01-May-13 14:35:21

We've got some Sky packages. DH likes the sports channels. And I watch the rubbishy house improvement and weight loss ones. But I am sure there are far loftier pursuits on which to spend time and money. So I am not disagreeing. grin

WeAreEternal Wed 01-May-13 14:34:51

Because the shit you get on sky is superior shit to the shit you get on freeview.

^ this.

I pay £60 something a month to sky for tv and broadband and it is worth every penny.

LadyIsabellaWrotham Belgium Wed 01-May-13 14:29:32

Why not Freesat elmer?

elmerelephant Wed 01-May-13 14:12:26

We have to pay for Sky to be able to watch TV, as although I can see the TV mast from my kitchen window, we dont receive a usable signal. Apparently its due to "too many hills"

anchovies Wed 01-May-13 14:06:18

I decided to take a break from sky and see how much we missed it. To be honest I was quite stressed about losing sky+ though as I don't watch anything live and the adverts drive me nuts.

After after entering the cancellation period, they rang yesterday and with some negotiation gave us the complete tv package free for 6 months with no contract. Given that we already have discounted line rental and we will now pay £11 for line rental, unlimited broadband and all the tv channels, they won back my custom!

SorrelForbes Wed 01-May-13 14:04:27

The only TV I want to watch is on Sky Atlantic. Unfortunately we're stuck with Virgin as Sky won't provide broadband to our house (but they will provide it to houses 50m away!) and it's too expensive to split packages between Virgin and Sky.

drivinmecrazy Wed 01-May-13 13:56:12

We use the internet, in particular this site www.btvguide.com/ For years we have had our PC connected to our TV with an HDMI lead. Its fantastic and completely free.
With regards to the live sports we always manage to find it live streamed somewhere on the internet.
Only downside we have found is DD2 has just discovered I-Carly and can idle away a whole afternoon watching back to back episodes if we let her.

MansView Wed 01-May-13 13:52:50

RE : I wouldn't make my tea until the soaps finished

You don't seem to have mastered the technology.

Aside from sport, I never watch anything "live" - apart from anything else, then I wouldn't be able to fast-forward through the adverts. Everything of interest is on series record. Movies I watch off Anytime.

On the rare occasion I haven't recorded something I want to watch, I watch if off iplayer or other catch-up services integrated with my Sky box. (You have connected your box to the internet, I hope?)

I've never had sky so that's not an issue - this is just with the likes of freeview and analogue tv (before it was phased out).
but there isn't anything on tv that appeals to me - and the stuff that I do like can be viewed online anyway smile

TheOldestCat Wed 01-May-13 13:52:44

Expensive as it is, we have Sky as it's cheaper than a season ticket to the footy (plus train tickets as we are a long way from DH's spiritual home).

musu Wed 01-May-13 13:50:32

I'm surprised that people are naming tv shows that are on Freeview like Law & Order SVU and NCIS. Why pay to have them through Sky (obviously excluding those who don't have sufficient reception to get Freeview)?

I don't have Sky and there is occasionally some sporting event that isn't covered on terresterial tv but £30 a month seems a bit steep for those.

DragonMamma Wed 01-May-13 13:47:36

Sky Atlantic has some brilliant things on it - Game of Thrones, Boardwalk Empire, The Following are all favourites here.

DH is a football fan and so 'needs' Sky Sports but it works out cheaper than him going to the pub for a few pints to watch it.

The DC's like the Disney Channels and Nick Jr now they are out of CBeebies.

But mainly, Sky Atlantic is why we stick with Sky and don't switch to Virgin or BT

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now