To not understand why people pay for sky?

(255 Posts)
CanAnybodyMakeSenseofThis Fri 26-Apr-13 22:20:57

Due to technical issues, I'm running my tv through an old sky box I found in the loft. I don't have a subscription so can't watch any of the sky channels. However, I can see the listings.

It's so much poo it's unbelievable. Why do people pay for this?? Are they mad?

AgentZigzag Fri 26-Apr-13 23:00:54

Hehe NotIn grin

I've done a similar thing with cancelling the movies, they offer it at £1 a month for three months and when I ring up to cancel they offer another good deal. If they don't, I cancel it and after a few more months they offer the £1 deal again grin

It only lasts for so long though and we've got it all the time now, which of course means their marketing ploy worked hmm

DH reckons I'm going to make the call though because 'I'm better at it', not sure whether to take that as a compliment or not.

I take the opposite view Ilove, I don't watch much TV at all so when I do watch I want maximum choice and flexibility out of my package.

Startail Fri 26-Apr-13 23:04:28

I must always have been old, radio4 was my favourite radio station aged 12.

We only have free view, parents have sky and I think they now have freesat too. Rural Wales and limited terrestrial free view.

LadyBeagleEyes Fri 26-Apr-13 23:08:08

Definitely do it Zigzag.
My box was going too, after many years and I got a new HD box free.
You need to say you'll cancel though wink

Altinkum Fri 26-Apr-13 23:09:41

I hate uk TV, however love American.

Currently on my virgin plus

Bones
Touch
Leverage
Greys anatomy
Flashlight
Csi
NCIS
Criminal minds
NCIS LA

Its so worth the penny's better than predictable eastenders, corrie etc...

sweetestcup Fri 26-Apr-13 23:11:39

Agent Zigzag thats what DH has done every time Ive threatened to cut the whole lot off...phone up and say we want to cancel, he can hold his nerve..usually gets some half price deal for 3 months or something grin

Ponyo73 Fri 26-Apr-13 23:13:10

I love my full on sky, package. Boastin' new movies, catch up on series past! Lordy it don't get better than this. Girl u is being unreasonable!

Ledkr Fri 26-Apr-13 23:14:47

Oh I love sky.
Walking dead
The following
Kardashians
Fashion police
Revolution
And all the random ghost programmes
Don't even get me started on sky plus. I have an early waking dd and it eases the pain to watch the soaps at 6am.

sweetestcup Fri 26-Apr-13 23:16:40

altinkum if you get Sky Atlantic really recommend The Following, dont know if its on catch up or anything like that though. Kevin Bacon is fantastic in it.

trixymalixy Fri 26-Apr-13 23:17:32

Game of Thrones

CarpeVinum Fri 26-Apr-13 23:20:19

I love Sky.

It makes my telly speak English.

AgentZigzag Fri 26-Apr-13 23:20:37

It's just haggling isn't it? grin

I'll get some details about freeview before I ring and say we're a bit skint (make noises about 'how things are' re the economy <undeniable>), say my bit and then stay silent grin see what they come up with.

Be a bit miffed if they start the process of cancelling it grin

LifeofPo Fri 26-Apr-13 23:20:40

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

AgentZigzag Fri 26-Apr-13 23:21:36

From what I've heard about it, I wish I was into Game of Thrones.

trixymalixy Fri 26-Apr-13 23:23:15

Zigzag, our box wasn't working and they were going to charge us £60 for an engineers visit. The subscription was in DH's name so he was in the phone to them. I said to him to cancel it as I wasn't paying for an engineer visit. We went through to retentions and DH was going to relent, but I was saying "just cancel it" beside him and ended up with a free engineer visit and a ludicrously low package price and the guy said at the end to DH " and do you want to transfer the account to your wife's name " grin

KatyDid02 Fri 26-Apr-13 23:23:46

We have Sky because we can't get freeview without an aerial booster. We had it where we used to live as well, mainly because we were not allowed tv aerials due to a covenant on the whole area but we could have a satellite dish confused
Yes, it's a waste of money but it's Sky or nothing sad

sweetestcup Fri 26-Apr-13 23:24:35

Such a waste of time, I spend my evening crocheting and brushing up on my ancient Aramaic while the children play their own compositions on the harpsichord grin

We upgraded to multiroom a couple of years ago, DH bought a box from Ebay and we just paid Sky for the installation and the increased subscription (got the installation cheap by hinting about leaving).

The new box packed up after 6 months, but we thought it might be the cabling (it was on our original socket in the front room). Called Sky, and because we were under warranty from the multiroom install they came out replaced the dish, the original set of cabling, the box and the viewing card (even though we'd got the box off Ebay) all for free, it has worked perfectly eveer since, so we're pretty happy with the customer service too.

StuntGirl Sat 27-Apr-13 00:56:05

I would subscribe to Sky JUST to get Kerrang TV. Unfortunately that means having to subscribe to one of the more ridiculously expensive packages.

Would do it in a heartbeat if I could afford it. Fuck the rest of the channels.

mum11970 Sat 27-Apr-13 01:03:51

Couldn't live without my discovery channels. Great animal profs and my fave criminal channels. Maybe I'm a would be serial killer, lol.

AgentZigzag Sat 27-Apr-13 01:06:10

grin at trixy. Going to get DH going on at me in the background at the appropriate time grin

I have Kerrang on the radio in the kitchen Stunt, we've got it by chance on the sky package, but I've never seen Johnny Doom on it (just checked how to spell his name right on google, and how he looks is nowt like what I had in my head grin (pahaha at that 'beardy' thing))

MardyBra Sat 27-Apr-13 01:08:44

I don't watch sport.

I don't even know what game of thrones is.

I'll stick with Freeview, thank you, and buy anything I want to watch, like Mad Men, on DVD.

How much does Sky cost these days?

olgaga Sat 27-Apr-13 01:09:07

You can't watch any decent sport, especially football and Test Match Cricket if you don't have Sky. The movie channels are handy too.

DD would have a nervous breakdown if she didn't get to see iCarly and Victorious.

olgaga Sat 27-Apr-13 01:10:15

How much does it cost

I think our package is about £60pm, but put it in perspective - that's the price of a ticket to a premier league game.

Crocodilio Sat 27-Apr-13 01:17:55

What's the difference between Freeview and Freesat?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now