To not understand why people pay for sky?

(255 Posts)
CanAnybodyMakeSenseofThis Fri 26-Apr-13 22:20:57

Due to technical issues, I'm running my tv through an old sky box I found in the loft. I don't have a subscription so can't watch any of the sky channels. However, I can see the listings.

It's so much poo it's unbelievable. Why do people pay for this?? Are they mad?

LadyBeagleEyes Fri 26-Apr-13 22:38:35

Oh yes Heath, I love NCIS.
For that alone it's worth the money smile

InNeedOfBrandy Fri 26-Apr-13 22:39:19

I agree my DM and DstepD pay £90 a month for sky in 3 rooms and all 3 are hd sky plus boxes multi room blablabla thingys. Utter madness but then I'm not really a tv person.

AgentZigzag Fri 26-Apr-13 22:39:27

We've had our sky box for 11 years, and DH reckons if we tell them we've got a bit of a shit picture (which it has, it's gone a bit pixilated) that they'll give us a new all singing all dancing new box at no cost to us.

Does anyone know whether they'll laugh us off the phone what they'd give us if this one's fucked and how much it'd cost?

cocolepew Fri 26-Apr-13 22:40:03

Pausing tv.
Modern Family
The Middle
The Following
Moto gp

FadBook Fri 26-Apr-13 22:40:55

Because the shit you get on sky is superior shit to the shit you get on freeview.

You have a wider spread of shit to choose from.

^^ this.

We've moved house recently and had a choice of Sky or Freeview. We came from Virgin Media so feel miffed we couldn't have Virgin again (no cable in the new house!) DP wanted HD channels as we have a HD TV and the freeview choice was naff.

It does still pain me how much I pay for Sky each month and I watch Ugly Betty on E4 and re-runs of ER on Sky Atlantic! grin

LessMissAbs Fri 26-Apr-13 22:41:05

Two words. The cycling.

theskyonasnowynight Fri 26-Apr-13 22:43:53

Sky plus costs me about 30 quid a month (cheapest package and internet), I get to use the internet as much as I want, get to record the sole four programmes I watch and movies are free or very cheap to rent. Works out much better than separate internet, boxsets and buying dvds.

sweetestcup Fri 26-Apr-13 22:44:16

Why do people pay for this?? Are they mad?

No, Im not mad, I just like the programmes on Sky we dont get greta reception being ina valley and would have to have a roof top ariel to get normal TV, no freeview here.

Currently top is definitely The Following, closely followed by Criminal Minds. Plus I love all the music channels. The on demand is excellent for watching movies of all sorts to.

sweetestcup Fri 26-Apr-13 22:45:38

great reception obviously grin

usualsuspect Fri 26-Apr-13 22:45:45

Sky Sports <looks at DP and DS>

If you want the sports channels then by the time you've got a package that includes Sky Sports 1, 2 and 3 you have most of the other channels anyway. And Sky keeps buying up exclusive rights to sporting events.

Dogsmom Fri 26-Apr-13 22:49:23

Glee and Supernatural.

Now if we could opt out of having to pay for a Tv licence then I'd be front of the queue to drop the Bbc channels.

Myliferocks Fri 26-Apr-13 22:50:06

Can't get Virgin and the reception for free view is terrible.
I like the sport on sky, DP likes to watch documentaries, DC2-5 like the children's channel and DC1 likes all the American programmes like csi.

dexter73 Fri 26-Apr-13 22:53:17

The cycling and the rugby. OMG would die without the rugby.

sweetestcup Fri 26-Apr-13 22:54:41

Oh and Law and Order Special Victims, forgot about that. We do spend a lot but it includes Sky plus, HD and various multirooms, telephone and internet.

CloudsAndTrees Fri 26-Apr-13 22:54:48

We have a package so have sky TV, broadband and phone landline.

DH pays extra into the joint bills account to cover all of that just because he wants the F1. There is nothing about sky that I would choose, I only ever watch channels available on free view, but I figure I'm on to good thing so I don't complain.

We've had Sky+ since the days when it was the only recording option apart from VCRs, we can't get Virgin and until last year couldn't get Freeview so it was Sky or terrestrial only.

We can get Freeview now, but it seems very limited, we'd have to buy new boxes if we wanted to record, we watch Sky Sports a lot, so we're happy with it.

Clayhead Fri 26-Apr-13 22:55:12

Sky Atlantic too

NotInMyDay Fri 26-Apr-13 22:55:45

Agent Zigzag phone Sky to enquire about how to terminate. Say there is no point you still paying as box is faulty now. You'll have a new box before you know it. wink wink

AgentZigzag Fri 26-Apr-13 22:55:56

The crime and investigation channels can be pretty interesting at times too.

Agree about beeb 1 and 2, confronted with having to compete with the satellite channels, they seem to have given up. Although beeb four can have some good shit on.

Is watching BBC4 the same as listening to Radio 4?

In other words, does enjoying the programs mean I'm old? grin

AgentZigzag Fri 26-Apr-13 22:57:07

The bbc bit of my last post was about Dogs post.

Floralnomad Fri 26-Apr-13 22:58:13

I hope not as I really like a lot on BBC4 !

Ilovemydogandmydoglovesme Fri 26-Apr-13 22:59:00

But why pay to watch tv?

I'd have to sit on my arse in front of a tv for the rest of my life to justify paying for the bloody thing.

There's lots of free shit to watch. Actually I'm sitting here watching The Green Mile on ITV4. Fantastic film.

IneedAyoniNickname Fri 26-Apr-13 22:59:38

The following
Sky arts
Da Vinci's demons
Sky Atlantic

Because I like shit tv grin

Shakey1500 Fri 26-Apr-13 23:00:48

Sky Arts grin is bloody fantastic. 99% of the TV I watch is on Sky Arts. I mean did you see Hugh Jackman earlier?? Liam Neeson night before?

Plus, DS gets to record a gazillion episodes of Care Bears. Such fun.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now