to state there is a right and wrong way to cut a sandwich?

(140 Posts)

Pole to ploe is incorrect.

Around the equator is the One True Way.

Any deviation from this means you are a Sarnie Deviant.

angry

Oh, triangles are acceptable. Mmmkay?

AIBU?

EmpressOfThe7OceansLovesMN Sat 27-Apr-13 00:05:30

Yes, and I fold them but the edges don't normally line up as they normally would on a sandwich. And they tend to be vaguely ovalish.

Do you flip your sarnies, Chaos?

Startail Sat 27-Apr-13 00:08:41

I don't care as long as you cut the toast in half, DH I'm looking at you.

seeker Sat 27-Apr-13 00:10:03

I cut ds's toast into triangles, turn them so the the points touch and say "here are your pretty butterflies" he takes the plate and says "No, star fighters!"

We have been doing this for 9 years now- he is 12. It amuses us every time. Dd is threatening to get a machine gun.

zipzap Sat 27-Apr-13 06:29:07

The question here is not square or triangle but dinosaur, dolphin or spaceship.

I bought cutter for ds1 when he was little in an attempt to get him to eat as he was rubbish at eating sarnies. They worked, but slowly dropped out of favour by the time he ws 4. Then dusted them off for ds2 who loved them because they made him smile and because he liked eating the crusts too with the funny hole in. Since then, ds1 now demands dinosaurs again but he is still fussy so won't touch the crusts.

And ds2 is often to be found in the drawer digging out cookie cutters of other shapes that he has decided he wants on the spur of the moment - which can be a pain as they don't tesselate properly within the size of the bread which the dedicated sandwich cutters do. You get all sorts of odd bits which although ds2 will usually eat, they are not as pleasing to do somehow!

However if ds2 has sarnies for his packed lunch he likes them square whereas ds1 refuses to eat sarnies and insists on a roll...

Tee2072 Sat 27-Apr-13 07:29:50

I am hurt that Olivia did not acknowledge my wave and inquiry. I shall go sulk forthwith.

::sulking::

Vizzage Sat 27-Apr-13 07:38:33

Actually, Fakebook is correct; it's triangles for sweet, rectangles (equator not pole-to-pole obviously) for savoury.

CasperGutman Sat 27-Apr-13 08:04:13

If you're going to cut sandwiches into rectangles, it doesn't matter if you do it top-to-bottom or across-the-middle. What matters is that you cut it in the direction it's narrowest. For example, this tall, narrow bread needs to be cut across the middle, and this short, wide bread needs to be cut from top to bottom. Otherwise you'll get silly long thin sandwiches.

It does blahdy matter Casper. SIOB.

shock

Tee, don't sulk, chicken, I don't think it's actuallu the real one. Not as much pizazz. wink

Tee2072 Sat 27-Apr-13 12:30:00

SIOB we've been infiltrated?!?!?!?!

::runs and hides::

EmpressOfThe7OceansLovesMN Sat 27-Apr-13 12:54:01

Olivia's a fake??????
<sounds klaxon>

WTF just asked DP how he cuts his sandwiches in the morning (he gets up before me) his reply..

I don't cut them.
Him: hmm
Me: shock

He has a v.good job in a posh office and he's going in, stuffing half a loaf in his mouth. Rethinking the office xmas party now. Actually i may go with dainty trainagle sandwiches so they don't think i'm a sarnie barbarian.

tinkertitonk Sat 27-Apr-13 13:42:07

You are all wrong.

Cucumber: white bread, triangles, crusts off.

Jam: white bread, squares, crusts on.

Smoked salmon: brown bread, triangles, crusts on.

Anything else: only permissible at a very vulgar picnic.

OliviaMMumsnet (MNHQ) Sat 27-Apr-13 22:11:17

Tee2072

I am hurt that Olivia did not acknowledge my wave and inquiry. I shall go sulk forthwith.

::sulking::

blushWent to bed, innit. [mnhq in sleeping shocker]
FAB hols though thanks for asking.

Ok, I retract, it is her.

Pizazz an all.

wink

Lottiegal Sat 04-May-13 20:14:29

Mrsrobbieduvall, my mum also claims rectangles were 'common'!!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now