Note: Please bear in mind that whilst this topic does canvass opinions, it is not a fight club. You may disagree with other posters but we do ask you please to stick to our Talk Guidelines and to be civil. We don't allow personal attacks or troll-hunting. Do please report any. Thanks, MNHQ.

Why don't they just accept that motorbikes are deathtraps and campaign against people riding them?

(258 Posts)
GoshAnneGorilla Fri 26-Apr-13 17:27:59

Instead of spending so much time and money going on at car drivers, wouldn't it be better to discourage people from using motorbikes in the first place?

BarredfromhavingStella Fri 26-Apr-13 17:49:13

Don't be so ridiculous, YABVU.

Scaredycat3000 Fri 26-Apr-13 17:49:17

I was hit by a car whilst stationary at traffic lights, I was hit a car as it just came out of a side road without stopping, I was hit (and hospitalised) at a junction by a car when it was my right of way. Public transport wasn't running for the time I needed to get to work, I wouldn't have been able to park a car at my place of work. I couldn't have cycled the distance to work. Motorbike's aren't death traps, people who don't drive safely are death traps.

I vote we ban idiots from the road.

Sparkling You have to take a CBT (compulsory basic training) So a professional course before you can go on the road. Unlike a car who can get in a car with anyone who has a licence, even if that was 50 years ago when getting a licence was much easier!

saintmerryweather Fri 26-Apr-13 17:50:12

If i see a motorbike behind me i automatically assume the rider is going to do something bloody stupid

biscuit

Is this a real Fred?

Wannabestepfordwife Fri 26-Apr-13 17:50:33

Yabvvvvvu my dp was hit seriously at 17 by a woman talking on her phone not paying attention to where she was going. Dp's work mate currently has a lacerated liver and 3 broken veterbrae due to an idiot driver undercutting another driver on motorway and hitting him.

Don't get me wrong there are some twats on motorbikes but there are some absolute twat drivers

VerySmallSqueak Fri 26-Apr-13 17:50:43

There are plenty of perfectly sensible bikers.

If a car driver is likely to hit a motorcyclist through careless driving then surely a pedal cyclist is also in danger- so it is worth educating car drivers unless you intend to ban pushbikes too.

Smudging Fri 26-Apr-13 17:51:08

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

Wannabestepfordwife Fri 26-Apr-13 17:52:28

Also dp would be out of a job as would every other motorbike mechanic in the country Honda in slough would probably relocate so basically loads of people should lose their jobs because you don't like motorbikes

SoupDragon Fri 26-Apr-13 17:53:05

If everyone actually followed their code and looked for bikes there wouldnt be so many accidents.

And if every biker followed their code and the laws of the road there wuld be fewer still.

There are dangerous idiots on every mode of transport. However, it seems that car drivers are the only ones with the finger of blame pointed at them.

VinegarDrinker Fri 26-Apr-13 17:53:26

How about the revolutionary idea instead of just enforcing the rules of the road for all road users? Crazy, I know.

aldiwhore Fri 26-Apr-13 17:55:17

Motorbikes are NOT dangerous in themselves. Stupid car drivers lost in their own little worlds are the ones that are usually the dangers.

The world would be a better place if we just banned stupid people.

GoblinGranny Fri 26-Apr-13 17:55:52

Bikers are free to take part in a dangerous activity, otherwise you are going to end up banning all sorts of things that are risky choices. Many accidents are caused by poor driving, and the bikers are the ones that die. Likewise cyclists.

Do you want the entire organ donor scheme to grind to a halt?
I think they should wear OD stickers on their helmets.

SoupDragon Fri 26-Apr-13 17:56:10

I remember starting a thread asking "AIBU to think motor cyclists should follow the same rules of the road as everyone else" after I'd seen a number of them separately speeding along far faster than the cars. I was told that I was unreasonable as "bikers use the road differently" or some such guff.

FoundAChopinLizt Fri 26-Apr-13 17:56:15

I worked in neuro ITU for a while and it was horrific to see a steady stream of young men who had come off bikes. In my view all drivers should have to watch a short film (at the theory part of the driving test) of patients and their families talking about recovery from these life changing injuries, together with some simulated footage of these collisions.

When we went to antenatal class there was a shocking film of a simulated car crash showing what happens to an unrestrained child in a collision. I never ever let them go for the shortest journey in the wrong seat.

HiggsBoson Fri 26-Apr-13 17:57:31

I lost my dearest friend to a motorbike accident sad

I don't think they can be outlawed as a means of transport though!

GoshAnneGorilla Fri 26-Apr-13 17:57:37

Babylon - yes it is real, thanks for the yummy biscuit.

People need to walk from place to place - hence we cannot ban pedestrians.

As for cyclists, I agree that cycling provision is woeful in this country, it's a shame we can't be more like the Netherlands: www.youtube.com/watch?v=XuBdf9jYj7o

Also, saying "Well 'x' is dangerous too doesn't make motorbikes any less dangerous".

Finally, yes, even if you are a good motorbiker, if you get in an accident, you run a far greater risk of injury or death then if you were in a car.

absolutely Soup, i know my fair share of idiot bikers, and being part of a biking club/social group, i have also lost a lot of friends and witnessed some horrific accidents.

By far and away, cars have been the prime cause of most of them, simply because the drivers dont look, and have no consideration of bikers on the road.

I honestly think that how to drive around motorbikes ought to become part of the test, and that all car drivers ought to made to spend an hour on a motorbike to appreciate how much of a danger car drivers can be to them.

GoshAnneGorilla Fri 26-Apr-13 17:59:56

*Also, saying "Well 'x' is dangerous too", doesn't make motorbikes any less dangerous.

VinegarDrinker Fri 26-Apr-13 18:00:01

Your duty of care on the road is directly related to how much damage you can do with your vehicle imho. So whilst everyone should obey the law, of course, someone driving a HGV has a huge moral obligation not to talk on their phone as well as the legal one, simply due to the catastrophic effects of it.

Likewise car drivers as opposed to pedestrians. I do think everyone has a particular duty to be aware of those road users more vulnerable than themselves.

TheFallenNinja Fri 26-Apr-13 18:00:05

Despair. Utter despair.

saycheeeeeese Fri 26-Apr-13 18:00:34

Not wearing a seat belt isn't just a risk to you it can kill other people in the car even if they are wearing theirs.

Sparklingbrook Fri 26-Apr-13 18:00:57

When I see a motorbike loom up behind me I always think 'oh noooo what are they going to do?'. All that nipping in and out at high speed and racing to the front at the lights. sad

VinegarDrinker Fri 26-Apr-13 18:03:54

"Racing to the front at lights" is for their own safety - if you are out in front of a car it is a lot harder to get hit than sitting alongside one. Same for cyclists.

ThingsThatMakeYouGoHmmmmmmmmm Fri 26-Apr-13 18:04:38

biscuit

Idiot.

Sparklingbrook Fri 26-Apr-13 18:05:08

Why can't they wait in the traffic queue behind the car rather than next to it?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now