to think celebrities control their pregnancy weight gain?

(52 Posts)
wonderingifiam2013 Fri 26-Apr-13 13:12:46

Because they all look bloody gorgeous! envy

I'm small in height and weight but managed to whilst living on cake for TEN months during my last pregnancy gain near on 4 stone blush

Although I did lose the weight quite quickly afterwards, I felt so out of breath by the end of my pregnancy, and so big afterwards, that I don't want to gain so much this time.

So - is it safe to 'control' your weight during pregnancy - and in control I don't mean starve/cut intake below suggested calories ... I just mean eat very healthy foods and keep an eye on the cake which I will still eat at least once a week grin

I have friends who throw away the scales for the duration of their pregnancies and eat everything in sight, and those who gain a neat bump, keep slim faces not like my balloon head! and slip back into their skinny jeans a couple of weeks after giving birth

I want to be in the skinny jeans group this time - is that so bad?

(p.s - I'm guessing a 4 stone weight gain is quite unhealthy really blush)

landofsoapandglory Fri 26-Apr-13 14:32:47

I went from 8st to 9st4 with DS1. He was born at 41 weeks weighing 8lbs 3oz. I was back in normal clothes in less than2 weeks.

I put on 11lbs with DS2 he was8lbs and 60cms long, born at 37 weeks. I was in my jeans 2 days later.

I don't pig out on crisps, cake, pies, chocolate etc normally so didn't see pregnancy as an excuse to do so.

My sister put on over 5 stone with all of hers, they were all smaller babies than mine. She 'ate for two' all the way through, mainly crap!

TallGiraffe Fri 26-Apr-13 14:34:59

Xenia - the average weight in the 50s was also lower because of height though. I'm 5'11 and if I was 8 stone there'd be something wrong with me. Pretty sure there weren't masses of 5'11 women in the 50s grin

FWIW - I lost my baby weight in 3 weeks but I had a big and hungry baby! I'm certainly not the same shape though and I think that makes a big difference to how you feel.

HumphreyCobbler Fri 26-Apr-13 14:38:30

I can only control my nausea with carbs in the first few months. I do not eat processed carbs when I am not pregnant.

Otherwise I really am hugely HUNGRY. I am constantly starving. I think it must be hormonal, why is it that I can control my eating perfectly well when i am not pregnant but not when I am? I dislike the weight gain immensely btw, it is not something I excuse because I am secretly glad to 'allowed' to eat hmm

Some people are not hungry when pregnant, some are constantly sick, some eat a lot.... we are all different.

HumphreyCobbler Fri 26-Apr-13 14:39:59

I don't eat for two, I eat to fill up my stomach.

I hate all this smugness. I do not eat pies, sweets or crap either. Just lots of home cooked food that includes the carbs I don't normally eat. Like potatoes and rice and pasta.

Dahlen Fri 26-Apr-13 14:41:27

I suspect that the vast majority of celebrities indeed manage their weight gain quite carefully through pregnancy. Their livelihoods depend on their appearance in many cases, so it would be surprising if they didn't take steps to control their weight. That doesn't necessarily mean they are under-eating or even having cosmetic surgery, though in a lot of cases I'm sure they are.

However, I was one of those people who weighed less after birth than I did before getting pregnant, had no stretch marks and an almost immediately flat stomach again. That wasn't through deliberate control, however, it was through horrendous morning sickness initially (which caused me to lose weight in the first half of my pregnancy), followed by terrible heartburn for the remainder (which meant I ate only what I needed to in order to ensure healthy development and my own stamina). I am also a runner, and continued to exercise throughout my pregnancy, replacing running with walking as I progressed. I think that has a lot to do with it, too.

MoreBeta Fri 26-Apr-13 14:42:37

"overly flat stomachs of some celebs is an indication of those that have had tummy tucks as part of their caesarian."

Yes that too and also a little plastic surgery in other areas. Being out of the public eye for 3 months is a good opportunity to do a lot of work.

HumphreyCobbler Fri 26-Apr-13 14:42:39

oh yes, the SPD that means I can only shuffle about doesn't help the weight gain either..

Sallyingforth Fri 26-Apr-13 14:44:59

Who cares what 'celebrities' do anyway? Most of them as about as useful as a wet fart.

EmmaBemma Fri 26-Apr-13 14:45:30

Um... I controlled my pregnancy weight gain with my second daughter, having put on just over 4 stone with my first. I didn't realise that was a bad thing now. I had a healthier pregnancy and felt better afterwards for it.

Timetoask Fri 26-Apr-13 14:49:18

This idea that you should throw away the scales and eat everything in sight during pregnancy is a real shame.

When I was pregnant with DC1 I was told " you are eating for two"! I read stupid magazines talking about how they ate chocolate ice-cream without guilt "because they are pregnant"... I went with it. I put on so much weight, developed borderline diabetes, baby was huge.

Second pregancy I informed myself much better. Didn't eat any sugar at all. Looked like one of those celebrities! Put on a healthy amount of weight and baby was born much healthier as a result.

HazleNutt Fri 26-Apr-13 14:56:23

Yes, of course it's healthy to eat healthy foods and not gain excessive amounts of weight - whether pregnant or not.

Xenia Fri 26-Apr-13 15:01:21

Yes I think average height in the 1950s and weight was 5 foot 3 and 8 and a half stone. Average UK height now is mine - 5 foot 5. Not sure how much the weight has crept up by but probably disproportionate. Best to go by weights and heights and not clothes sizes as to keep women happy clothes shops keep making a size 10 bigger and bigger and bigger.

You only need about an extra 200 calories, which is not much. It's about two medium sized bananas.

I gained 3 stone altogther, and at one year post-birth could still do with losing another 8lb or so.

I found that my ribcage expanded massively.

Shanghaidiva Fri 26-Apr-13 15:13:50

Agree with previous posters that some celebs stay out of the public eye for the final 3 months.
I put on 2.5 stone with ds and a lot of that water retention. With dd I did more exercise and was concerned that being 38 I would find it harder to lose the weight. Gained 2 stone and had lost 20 pounds by the time I left hospital. However, when I hit 40 my body became a magnet for fat hmm

GetOrfMoiLand Fri 26-Apr-13 15:15:40

Is average height now only 5 foot 5? That does surprise me, I had assumed the average height was a lot taller now.

To be honest if I was in the public eye and my livelihood was dependent on my image I would be careful with my weight whilst pregnant as well. To avoid the celebrity madness of 'x embraces her new curves' (which actually mean 'look at this fat woman and her disgusting stomach')

I was very fortunate as I didn't put that much weight on (being very tall helps) and lost it all in a manner of weeks, but I think that was due to having dd young. I am sure if I had a baby in my now mid 30s it would probably be very different.

forehead Fri 26-Apr-13 15:21:24

I lost weight during all three of my pregnancies because I went off sugary
or fatty foods.
I gained weight after my children were born.

NorbertDentressangle Fri 26-Apr-13 15:21:49

A worrying (IMO) trend amongst pregnant celebs seems to be the wearing of Spanx whilst pregnant......Amanda Holden and Kim Kardashian amongst others.

Surely that can't be good for the baby or mother? (not to mention of course how sad it is that the mother wants to minimise the bump/impression of weight gain presumably for vanity reasons)

landofsoapandglory Fri 26-Apr-13 15:21:50

I'm not smug. I just don't eat a lot of crap. I eat carbs, I never said I didn't.

I, also, had horrific SPD, was unable to walk unaided from 19 weeks with DS2, was in a wheelchair and still have it 17 years later. I couldn't have got to the goodies if I had wanted too, maybe that's why I didn't put the weight on!

GetOrfMoiLand Fri 26-Apr-13 15:24:05

I remember when I was pregnant in the 90s Mothercare sold a hideous pregnancy girdle thing which looked just like a spanx.

I hate spanx at the best of times, so uncomfortable and HOT, sod that when pregnant.

HumphreyCobbler Fri 26-Apr-13 15:37:12

I wasn't saying YOU were smug landof.

I just hate the implication that we all put on weight because we are so greedy. I am not greedy, I do not eat crap (unless you count bread as crap, I never eat that normally) but I still eat rather a lot due to massive hunger when I am pregnant.

BalloonSlayer Fri 26-Apr-13 15:41:02

I don't think you can always control how much you eat when pregnant. I never gained hugely; but I ended up 10st 7 at the end of each pregnancy, with different starting weights and different size babies, so I wondered if I have a set "9 months pregnant" weight.

I remember in one pregnancy going into McDonalds at 11.30am as I just HAD to have something, I think I might have been prepared to trample over my own granny to get my gnashers into that burger and chips blush I had never been so hungry in my life.

In another pregnancy I remember insisting on having lunch at a cafe because, well, just because. When the food came, DH was sorting out the other two DCs "Do you want ketchup, DS?" sort of thing . . . I was oblivious, my knife and fork a blur, shovelling it in. blush Again, I couldn't help myself.

That sort of thing didn't happen often but if it had I would have gained stones and stones and stones and there wouldn't have been anything I could have done about it. It was amazing.

Similarly - afterwards. DS1 was a big hungry baby and as I breastfed I lost a pound a day till I was 8st 2 - which 8lb lighter than when I had got pregnant. Result! I confidently expected the same to happen when I had DD and DS2 but it didn't, bugger it.
confused

HumphreyCobbler Fri 26-Apr-13 15:44:38

you describe it well Balloon Slayer. That kind of hunger happens to me daily <sigh>

badguider Fri 26-Apr-13 15:46:26

Of course it's 'safe' to eat healthily, exercise and avoid cake during pregnancy. In fact, it's surely unhealthy to do anything else.

However, eating healthily doesn't mean not gaining any weight. It is normal for most women to gain some maternal fat along with the baby itself and associated fluids etc. This is controlled by hormones and if your body is one of those that wants to put on some maternal fat only unhealthy starving yourself will prevent it.

I don't give a fig what celebs look like or eat, but I know that I want to balance eating when I am hungry with not getting out of shape and eating unecessary fat and calories through my pregnancy. What happens to the size of my body will happen, but I can be sure I am looking after my internal health if I eat sensibly.

woody2313 Fri 26-Apr-13 15:57:00

I just think every woman - and every pregnancy - is different. I know that my own pregnancy weight gain was partly due to the fact that I went from running and Zumba-ing every week to doing nothing, bar the occasional walk.
Kim K seems to be getting pretty big for someone constantly papped going to the gym or talking about using Tracy Anderson. Maybe there is something to the genetics idea...

HeadFairy Fri 26-Apr-13 16:13:41

I think MoreBeta got it nailed. Nothing about celebrity pregnancies is real.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now