to be thinking of sacking my sitter?

(17 Posts)
LittleMissBunnyoni Thu 25-Apr-13 09:06:49

You have her a second chance and she blew it, you didn't even have to do that.

So no, you are not being unreasonable at all.

Cookethenook Thu 25-Apr-13 09:04:08

YANBU. I say that as a babysitter and a childminder. Once in a VERY exceptional circumstance would not be grounds for sacking imo, but twice, nope, just irresponsable. She's there to be a reliable source of care for your DD when you're working and she's not doing that in any way. Either have a very firm chat or get rid now.

livinginwonderland Thu 25-Apr-13 08:17:39

yanbu. your child deserves better.

exoticfruits Thu 25-Apr-13 06:41:05

I agree, once can be forgiven but not twice. Find someone reliable.

pebblepots Thu 25-Apr-13 06:08:43

Yanbu, sack her

rainbowslollipops Thu 25-Apr-13 06:06:01

If I can remember to collect my parents dog, then she can remember to pick a child up. Yanbu.

Beatrixpotty Thu 25-Apr-13 05:13:58

Once is forgiveable but not twice.Find someone else.

Jinty64 Thu 25-Apr-13 04:58:37

I could not trust her with my child and it looks really bad with the school. I think you need to make a better arrangement for your dd.

I presume there is no after school club. A registered childminder would be the next best thing.

ENormaSnob Thu 25-Apr-13 04:43:25

You would be unreasonable to not sack her imo.

Put your child first.

LovesBeingWokenEveryNight Thu 25-Apr-13 03:18:28

Nbu sack her

MammaTJ Thu 25-Apr-13 03:16:20

I would not be able to concentrate, or in my case, sleep after a night shift, if there was someone who could not be relied on to collect my DC.

This is why I rarely bother relying on anyone else.

NatashaBee Thu 25-Apr-13 00:26:18

That's pretty crap. Not even sure I'd have forgiven her the first time, but you'd think she'd have pulled her socks up after that.

defineme Thu 25-Apr-13 00:24:57

I'd be getting a different babysitter.

DontSHOUTTTTTT Thu 25-Apr-13 00:15:03

That is quite flakey sad I think I would look for someone else. Once might be forgivable but twice is confused

KatyTheCleaningLady Thu 25-Apr-13 00:14:47

YANBU.

Everybody makes mistakes, but to do the same thing twice is indicative of something more than that.

5318008 Thu 25-Apr-13 00:14:44

perhaps better to get a registered childminder

mrsmuffintop Thu 25-Apr-13 00:12:14

I have an after-school babysitter, who collects 8 yo DD from school 3 days a week. She has been working for me since the beginning of the year, when our previous fabulous sitter who had been with us a long time left to go overseas. She is a uni student aged 20. I pay her quite generously.

My office is abut 10km from DD's school, so it can take anything from 25 mins to an hour to get there, depending on traffic (inner city area).

The sitter is a sweet girl and nice to DD. However she is really flaky. On Monday I had a call from school at 4.05 pm to say that DD had not been collected. I called the sitter and asked what was going on. SHe seemed flustered and said "I'm nearly there". I told her not to bother and jumped in the car and raced to DD's school myself. Luckily my boss is accommodating and I am on good terms with the primary school receptionist. DD was a bit upset and anxious but coped pretty well.

Later when I asked the sitter what happened she admitted that she was not on her way to the school at all but had been "stressed" over an exam and had totally forgotten to pick DD up. She just forgot.

My issue is that this is the second time this has happened ie that she has "just forgot" and left DD alone in the playground. I don't want to be mean to this girl but I have reservations about whether I have enough trust or confidence in her to rely on her to look after my child.

Would you tell her its over and get a new childminder in these circumstances?

Thanks for your thoughts.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now