To ask if YOU having MMR?

(259 Posts)
foreverondiet Wed 24-Apr-13 23:30:37

Ok. I have vaccinated my dc according to schedule. I got an email at work today from occupational health people (not healthcare or similar) saying that if you a) born after 1972 b) didn't have 2 doses MMR and c) didn't have confirmed case measles then should have MMR now! I asked my Dad (retired gp) and he said I had one measles jab as child, didn't have mmr (although my younger brother did) - he said v v likely I was immune. However he thought slight risk of not being immune.

I am sure a lot of you fall into the category above (most people born between 1972 and 1980) - so who is having.

I don't work with children or in healthcare - I work in an office.

fledtoscotland Thu 25-Apr-13 07:48:23

Born in 1975. Had mumps and measles as a child. Wasn't "allowed" whooping cough vaccine by my mum since my gran knew of someone who had polio after the whooping cough vaccine. Was re-vaccinated as a adult as didn't retain immunity. Had rubella vaccine age 13.

I don't remember there even being a measles vaccine - we had measles and chickenpox parties where we had to play with the infected child until we caught it confused

LIZS Thu 25-Apr-13 07:50:06

Child of late 60s - had Measles vaccine as a baby/toddler, Rubella vaccine at 13 and caught Mumps aged 4/5

lljkk Thu 25-Apr-13 08:04:00

I am foreign so Heaven knows what applies; think I had single measles as a small baby & that was deemed inadequate so I had to have measles again as a young adult (to register for Uni classes). I should be immune now.

English DH was born in 1974, I will look into his choices.

lljkk Thu 25-Apr-13 08:08:59

Katy:
I was one of the last people in the US to get whatever jab leaves a round white scar on the upper arm (small pox?).

I think that one is TB (I have same scar, anyway, and I remember vividly how painful the ruddy jab was!) I remember confusing "turburculosis" with "television" and I spent ages trying to work out how watching TV could make you very sick.

I am very impressed how much all of you know about your own vax history. I am sure DH (& his mum) are clueless. I am only fuzzy on most of mine.

javabean Thu 25-Apr-13 08:12:34

I didn't have measles or MMR jabs as a child, but had the measles jab as a teenager (think it was the single but not sure) at school during the measles outbreak in the 90s, and had MMR at uni because of the mumps outbreak.

Was offered MMR when I needed a bunch of jabs for travel, but declined as was about to TTC and didn't want to wait 3 months. Would have accepted though if I wasn't sure I'd had the 2 measles jabs already. I normally take all vaccinations offered to me!

Weissbier Thu 25-Apr-13 08:23:12

TSO we're in Germany...the dept of health came down...yes we were all questioned! DH could go in as he'd had measles but not me!

vaccination is not compulsory here - private nurseries can and do demand it but not state-run ones.

Bunbaker Thu 25-Apr-13 08:26:02

I was born many years before a measles vaccine so unfortunately I had it as a child, and German measles. I haven't had mumps though.

I have crap eyesight and hearing problems and this may have been because I had measles.

confusteling Thu 25-Apr-13 08:35:45

I've had it 3 times already - had the first vacc as a toddler, a booster before starting primary school and then yet another booster at age 14 or so.

CwtchesAndCuddles Thu 25-Apr-13 08:36:47

I live in the outbreak area. My children both had their MMR as babies - I am too old to have had the single measles but have booked to have MMR done asap as I'm often in contact with very vunerable children at a special school - this outbreak needs to be stop.

AuntieStella Thu 25-Apr-13 09:07:02

The small pox immunisation leaves a scrape sort of scar. But it's unlikely a UK resident born after mid-60s would have had one.

I'm a child of the 60s, and had measles as the disease and rubella as a jab (immunity OK during every pg). No idea about mumps status though as I haven't had either symptomatic illness or immunity tested.

The single measles jab in use from 1968 should be OK (according to CDC in US) as that was a live attenuated strain which produces enduring immunity. There was a previous vaccine there (according to their webpage) which was a killed virus the immunity from which does wear off and they recommend those vaccinated pre-1968 are redone.

The uptake rates in the early years of the jab rolling out were well below the levels for herd immunity, and vax records may well be lost, so there is probably a large pool of those who missed the last widespread sets of outbreaks (up to early 70s) and that may be why they are informing that group they may not be immune.

Fakebook Thu 25-Apr-13 09:17:12

I was born in 1983 and had the first jab in school when I was about 12 or 13. When I was in university, there was a whole campaign for the "children" who didn't get their second jab to have it done. It must have been 2003/2004? They offered all students in my year the jab and had the main lecture theatre filled with about 20 nurses giving the jab. I didn't get it done because I was scared (needle phobia). Anyway, I've been pregnant 3 times since then and my booking in bloods always come back with "measles antibodies detected", so I assume I'm safe? I always remember to get this vaccination done when I'm pregnant, then it's too late.

I had it when we registered with a new doctor eight years ago - on the premise that yes I might like to have children one day, so it could be useful prevention against rubella (don't know if there was a particular concern about that at the time).

I had measles when I was three (in '79) and it left mum with quite traumatic memories.

DH has just had it for travelling to South Wales (born '75), so I think we're all now covered.

LittleMissBunnyoni Thu 25-Apr-13 09:27:56

I was born in 77 and I had measles, mumps and rubella as a child, don't know what vacs I had as a child if any, but my mum would have taken me for any that were on offer.

As a child I had all the usual illnesses measles, mumps, rubella (we called it German measles?) chicken pox, rubella was the one everyone wanted as it didn't make us ill and you got to be off school grin a girl from school who lived at the end of the school field was off with it and playing in her garden so we were all talking to her over the fence to try and catch it!

The only illness I didn't have was whooping cough, and when we were on holiday one year a little girl on the beach was coughing and my mum said stay away from her, that sounds like whooping cough!!

I had rubella jab when I was 12, tb jab when I was 14 and tetanus/polio when I was 16. Had one if the hep jabs when I went to morocco but didn't get the booster after as no need.

My oh can't remember what he had as a child and he was born in 74 so probably should check, my boys have had all their vacs and they have both had chicken pox.

We are not in an outbreak area but with travel these things easily spread, so glad that we are covered.

florilegia Thu 25-Apr-13 09:31:39

I was born in 1979, but I had a pretty bad case of measles when I was a baby: the doctor told my parents there'd be no need to vaccinate me against it as I had had such a hefty dose of the actual disease. I caught mumps when I was about 6, and then had all the rubella jabs at school.

We are close to the outbreak area, though, and I know some adult friends have now had the MMR. Will have to check with DH if he has had it or not.

lljkk Thu 25-Apr-13 09:43:26

Damn, scars for TB & smallpox vaccines look pretty much the same.
My mother used to insist that I had had the jab for chickenpox and the actual illness of smallpox. She refused to be corrected grin.

Had a mild bout of CP as an adult, anyway.

ummlilia Thu 25-Apr-13 09:44:11

ha..I'm too old..born 1964, and had measles in 1971...so no jab for me..smile

Flobbadobs Thu 25-Apr-13 09:50:26

Born in 1976. I've had measles as a child and the rubella vax at school, no idea about mumps, will have to ask parents. DH has had measles and mumps.
The 2 older Dc's are fully vaxed but DD2 has only just had her first MMR (last month), have there been any indications that they are bringing the booster shots forward does anyone know? I can't see anything atm but may have missed something.

DeWe Thu 25-Apr-13 09:51:14

I had Rubella jab.

I had measles when I was 3yo-over my dsis birthday party. She loved me!!!

I had mumps shortly after that.

As an aside, I think you can catch mumps on one side only, and then catch it again another time on the other. At least that was what I was told by dm, as she watched very carefully to make sure I had it on both sides.

Shesparkles Thu 25-Apr-13 09:52:10

Born in 1970, had measles vax as a baby, had mumps, had German measles when I was 8, then rubella vax at 13, so that's me covered!

HeadFairy Thu 25-Apr-13 09:57:16

I think I fall in to an inbetween category because I was born mid 1970, I wasn't vaccinated as there was some kind of scandal about the vaccine when I was the right age for vaccination (around '71-'72) according to my mum, but I obviously wasn't around for the measles outbreak in the late 60s so I'm not sure if I'm immune. I know I tested immute for Rubella when I was pg, I've had mumps and I've not only had german measles I was vaccinated at 13.

But I'm not sure about measles... dd had her 2nd mmr yesterday. Perhaps I should just have the single measles jab or do they recommend having mmr even if you don't need the other M or the R?

foreverondiet Thu 25-Apr-13 10:17:35

They won't give single measles jab just MMR.

The point is if you didn't have 2 doses of measles jab or 2 doses mmr or confirmed case measles you may not be immune.

Most people who had measles jab as child only had one dose..... Most people born before 1970 would have had measles as there was an epidemic every couple of years. Vaccination introduced 1970.

HeadFairy Thu 25-Apr-13 10:18:42

Hmm, perhaps I should ask my GP because I'm sure I haven't been vaccinated.

Born in 1970, had measles jab as child, and single polio vaccine on sugar lump. Also had polio booster without sugar lump - not recommended. Rubella given as a teenager, though I suspect I was exposed to the virus as a child because the immunity hasn't worn off 30 years later.

I had extremely mild chicken pox, think I had 2 or 3 spots. Desperately tried to catch mumps. I have natural immunity to TB which means that I was exposed to the virus as a child and had assymptomatic TB.

I desperately tried to get DD to catch chicken pox whilst she was still being breastfed, but I suspect she has the same immune system as me as she stubbornly refused to catch it, despite being exposed to it several times at several stages of infection.

cherrycarpet Thu 25-Apr-13 11:02:40

This is interesting.... I was born in 1969 so not sure if I was vaccinated? Unfortunately my mum died when I was a child so I can't ask her about jabs/childhood illnesses. My Dad's still around but he's a bit useless with things like this. I vaguely remember that my brother had mumps when he was a child (he was born 1966 so presumably not vaccinated??). I had chickenpox when I was 30 - horrendous.

Do you reckon that my current doctor would have a record of all my immunisations? All my 4 DC have had the MMR so hopefully they're protected.

Flobbadobs Thu 25-Apr-13 11:06:30

cherry your current doctor should still have your paper records on file, part of my job as a receptionist was to file paperwork and tidy new files into some semblance of order, some did have the vax records from childhood, some didn't. If the records were there it should have been entered onto the computer system.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now