To ask if YOU having MMR?

(259 Posts)
foreverondiet Wed 24-Apr-13 23:30:37

Ok. I have vaccinated my dc according to schedule. I got an email at work today from occupational health people (not healthcare or similar) saying that if you a) born after 1972 b) didn't have 2 doses MMR and c) didn't have confirmed case measles then should have MMR now! I asked my Dad (retired gp) and he said I had one measles jab as child, didn't have mmr (although my younger brother did) - he said v v likely I was immune. However he thought slight risk of not being immune.

I am sure a lot of you fall into the category above (most people born between 1972 and 1980) - so who is having.

I don't work with children or in healthcare - I work in an office.

LackaDAISYcal Thu 25-Apr-13 01:11:13

Ah, just seen on a LHA website that people born pre 1970 will "probably have been exposed to measles already", but to get the jab if unsure. I'm a home carer, so will ask my GP next week what they advise.

eccentrica Thu 25-Apr-13 01:12:15

LackaDaisyCal No, it's not ageism - people born before 1972 will almost certainly have had measles as it was pre-jab and everyone caught it. So it's those of us born after '72 who may not have developed natural immunity but are too old to have had MMR.

vivizone Thu 25-Apr-13 01:14:31

I am not sure what I have had or not. Would the GP be able to tell me? how do they check?

missingmumxox Thu 25-Apr-13 01:15:33

I haven't had the jab and know approx 10 years ago was not immune as I was TRYING! to encourage about 6 thousand Health care workers born between 1970 and 86?? 86 or 84 my memory fails me to get the MMR

Basically there was a huge outbreak in the late 60's which meant most people born before 1970 have natural immunity, those of us after benefited from the herd immunity of those who had been exposed, there was a measles vaccine I believe at the time but not widely given.

I was the child of a nurse who believed in vaccination and i even had Small pox vac in 1978...

My brother had measles in about 75, I didn't get it and as I say I am not immune, the reason I know is I had a blood test so I could, if negative do a whole internal work media thing on getting the vaccine as I was having zero success in getting staff to have the vaccine as they all kept quoting bloody Wakefield! yes even NHS staff swallowed that line, doctors, nurses, physios the lot!
in the event after a year of plugging on with it I think we vaccinated about a 100 staff even when I ramped it up after 2 deaths of children, some how there deaths didn't count as one was special needs and "up north" and the other in our area a "traveler" my mind boggles, I have never been so frustrated, but I did understand one argument against having the MMR from a lot of the staff and that was the demographic I was pitching to where mainly professional women aged 33 down so all of childbearing age which meant the rubella element was a worry and all had, had it at school.

So my internal media thing, all lined up blood result had been photoed, I am also not immune to Mumps we found, so I thank my Crap GP in the mid 70's for giving me a diagnoses of that and the many weeks of school ..if only I didn't have a little brother who my mum forced me to be with 24/7 so he would get it!!!

So what happened? well dear reader I found out I was pregnant! by the time my mat leave was over the ball had been dropped and it had been replaced by SARs!

I also vaccinated my children with everything they even have had Hep B. when you know a little about epidemiology you will never go back.

Thumbwitch Thu 25-Apr-13 01:17:15

I wouldn't have the MMR simply because my Rubella antibodies are still high titre, despite having had the rubella jab nearly 30 years ago. I don't know whether or not I've had a measles jab, probably as a child; but if someone insisted I had one now I would want just measles vax, not MMR.

LackaDAISYcal Thu 25-Apr-13 01:23:43

I know my older brother and sister both had measles and mumps in the 60s, but this was before my other sister and I were born and according to my mum neither of us had either disease as children.

missingmumxox Thu 25-Apr-13 01:27:07

oh during my epic post Vizi posted, your GP should have notes from your childhood which include vaccinations, the only reason for my blood test was for demonstration purposes only, we where going to redo after to show my immunity by the same method and also due to me for some reason having all my notes from birth to 5 missing, we think due to a case of negligence by my GP during that time who managed to perforate my ear drum as mysteriously all notes after that are intact, my Mum thinks he just destroyed all my notes in order to say they had been lost....fear not he was struck off not long after... only about 15 years after!!! another story!

Fluer Thu 25-Apr-13 01:35:13

Most of us born pre 1970 were sent to PoxParties or measles parties etc.

missingmumxox Thu 25-Apr-13 01:38:38

even if you have been vaccinated for 1 element previously Thumbwitch it is not an issue, your body will recognise it, deal with it and move on this is the purpose of a vaccine and our own natural immunity, who knows how many times your body has been exposed to wild rubella and it has just dealt with it.

the only issue is pregnancy..rubella vaccine not recommended when pregnant, but I would heartily recommend it if you are in the process of thinking of starting a family after I met a couple of women who caught it wild in early pregnancy, one had a miscarriage (may or may not have been due to this) other had a son who was Deaf and other issues, you need to leave it 3 months from vaccine to trying for a baby.

I would like to add my post should be taken with a pinch of salt and anybody who is concerned should talk to their GP or Practice Nurse for current advice which is relevant to their situation.

maddening Thu 25-Apr-13 01:40:25

I was born in 77 and asked mum the other day - I had the mmr and had mumps - quite relieved. I know people who have no clue if they had it.

Ginformation Thu 25-Apr-13 01:48:48

Our local public health dept cascaded advice this week to give adults born after 1970 who ask for it a single MMR jab. Those born between 1970-1979 are most at risk.

I was allergic to eggs as a child so could not be vaccinated (I am in that high risk age group) but I had measles and probably rubella. The danger is that you could have had something similar to one of these illnesses, not the real deal. As a health care professional I have been tested and vaccinated as an adult. I could not work without immunity.

Ginformation Thu 25-Apr-13 01:51:16

FYI the MMR was introduced to the UK in 1988

vivizone Thu 25-Apr-13 02:23:43

I was not born in this country so GP would not have info if I have had any jabs. I do have a mark on my arm but don't know what it's for. Would a blood test show if I have had it? Probably a silly question but totally clueless on this.

LittleFeileFooFoo Thu 25-Apr-13 02:29:26

vivizone the mark on your arm could be smallpox.

I had the MMR 3 times between the ages of 14 and 20. my parents moved us a lot and were terrible about keeping shot records. Unless you opt out, you must be vaccinated to attend school in the US.

OohShiny Thu 25-Apr-13 02:49:16

I was born in 86 and my doctors had it recorded that I only had one mmr jab.

I had a blood test when I went to see them about having my implant out and it turned out I wasn't immune to one of the diseases (rubella I think) so I had to have the mmr again, then wait 3 months for my immunity to build up before I could start ttc.

PariahHairy Thu 25-Apr-13 03:23:19

I have no idea if I had the mmr (both parents dead) born in 81. I'm pretty sure I had German measles as a child, seem to remember that, I was also immune for the rubella essays when pg x 3.

If there was an outbreak in this area I would certainly take the mmr if offered, just taken ds2 for his boosters on Tuesday. Couldn't fancy measles or mumps, for ds1 hand foot and mouth was bad enough.

PariahHairy Thu 25-Apr-13 03:32:23

I do remember going for a shot aged about 3-5, maybe that was the measles thing, god knows.

Never had proper horrible measles though, german variety was fine (rubella) just a rash as far as I can remember.

sashh Thu 25-Apr-13 05:36:44

What happened before 1972????

Single measles jab, no jab for mumps and rubella for teenage girls.

The single jab leaves a scar, small white circle, usually on top of left arm, but then BCG can leave a similar scar. I have two, one from each.

but if someone insisted I had one now I would want just measles vax, not MMR.

Why?

Lifeisontheup Thu 25-Apr-13 06:12:07

I wasn't vaccinated but have been tested and am immune, am checking up on the DC's and will try and persuade them to have it if they're not up to date. Uni must be a prime breeding ground for measles.

Weissbier Thu 25-Apr-13 06:32:44

Didn't have it as a child as was allergic to eggs. I did get mumps. Got myself MMR last year as there was a measles case at DDs nursery and I wasn't allowed inside the building to pick her up! Took 2 minutes, no ill effects. Doc added a rant about anti-vaccinators while she was doing it - would have been entertaining except she was genuinely angry.

FairPhyllis Thu 25-Apr-13 06:42:16

Born in 1981. Had a rubella jab at school and had measles disease when little, but no MMR until 2005ish, when there was a mumps outbreak at uni and they vaccinated the whole university.

Flossee Thu 25-Apr-13 06:45:48

I was born in 71 and had one measles jab in 1972, and I'm having an MMR jab today because we're moving to the NW. The NHS website has info about this and radio 4s woman's hour or you and yours covered it last week.

TSO Thu 25-Apr-13 06:56:49

" Got myself MMR last year as there was a measles case at DDs nursery and I wasn't allowed inside the building to pick her up!"

My, my I've never heard of anyone going that far before!

Weissbier, did the nursery go around questioning each and every parent/carer/grandparent/whoever might pick the children up? Do they refuse to take children whose parents don't provide proof of vaccination? [nosy and surprised!]

starsandunicorns Thu 25-Apr-13 06:57:08

I was born in 72 didnt have a injection at primary like everyone esle cant remmber why but joined the forces and got jabbed with a load of neddles one week does any one know what those were for remmber one was the circle one

Sirzy Thu 25-Apr-13 07:00:25

I was born in 84 had an MMR at primary school and a booster when I was about 18

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now