to think that Suarez's 10 match ban is totally justified?

(118 Posts)
CoolCadbury Wed 24-Apr-13 22:35:44

I am not a football fan but the bite incident was shocking - it was like a toddler having a tantrum but a grown man doing it was just vile.

What pisses me off was that Liverpool FC saying they were surprised and disappointed with it? Wtf? What else do they expect? They should be fined too for not being able to control their player.

He may still be nominated for player of the season because he is so talented!

Entitled prick.

EldritchCleavage Thu 25-Apr-13 11:02:32

"The racism thing" well that appeared to not be very clear cut. Suarez said "negrito" not "negro" which isnt a racist term. Sounds like Evra was a prized twat as well

Oh please. That argument is a bit like saying 'If I call you a 'black bastard' I'm not being racist because saying 'black' is not offensive. Suarez claimed he 'only' said 'negrito'. There was actually no call to refer to Evra's race at all, but Suarez kept doing it throughout the game. And why use a diminutive to a grown man, except to belittle him? Suarez says where he comes from it is common usage and not offensive, but not a single black Uruguyan popped up to agree with him, I notice.

He is lucky Ivanovic did not want to press charges, or he would have been prosecuted. 10 matches is a lot, but it is based on his appalling record as well as the incident itself.

mayorquimby Thu 25-Apr-13 11:51:09

""The racism thing" well that appeared to not be very clear cut. Suarez said "negrito" not "negro" which isnt a racist term. Sounds like Evra was a prized twat as well. "

The term Negrito was never used.
He used the term negro (neh-gro in Spanish as opposed to the English knee-grow)

mayorquimby Thu 25-Apr-13 11:54:31

Fwiw I think anywhere in the 6-10 game mark is about right, 10 seems on the harsh side but not unjustifiably so.
I know people say you get less for shocking tackles and punches which cause far more damage than what Suarez did, but biting an opponent is so out of the norm and not something why opponent expects to be subject to that I can see why the fa have come down like a ton of bricks on him

Tanith Thu 25-Apr-13 12:01:59

I must admit, when I saw it, I involuntarily told the TV screen:

"No! We don't bite: biting hurts!"

Then saw the incredulous faces of my DH and DS blush

MrsClown1 Thu 25-Apr-13 12:09:55

I cant believe people actually think this ban is excessive. How the hell do they expect fans to behave when they are allowing footballers to get away with that kind of behavior. I have a son who (thank God) has never been interested in football. However, my next door neighbours son used to be in a Sunday morning village team. I am positive that if he had bitten someone it would have been his last match. These footballers are overpaid twats who think they are above the law. If I went out on to the street and got into an altercation with someone and bit them do you think the police would get involved? Too right they would.

I would like to ask the posters who see this ban as an excessive a question: Would you allow your child/partner etc to behave like that if they played football?

My ex DH (who has always been a football fan) no longer watches men's football - he watches women's football because he says they play it like the game it is. The money involved in male football makes me sick and I cant stand the game. Well, correction I dont mind the game its the ethos of it that gets me.

As far as the racism thing goes - if I racially abused a colleague at work I would be sacked - no questions asked.

indyandlara Thu 25-Apr-13 12:10:32

What do footballers actually have to do before they are properly held to account and society sees some of them for what they actually are? Rape? Drunk driving? Racism? Violent conduct? Oh yeah, I forgot. We can always make excuses for those. When there finally is a culture in football where people are held to account properly for their actions and when gay players feel they can safely come out then I might have some time for it. Guess it'll be a long wait.

shellshock7 Thu 25-Apr-13 12:29:55

I don't think anyone is saying he shouldn't be punished, I'm certainly not. I'm unhappy that all footballers don't receive the same punishments for the same crimes...that why I feel the ban is excessive, see Defoe for example.

Flobbadobs Thu 25-Apr-13 12:38:59

It won't be 10 matches. Liverpool will appeal and it will get dropped to around 4/5.
Funnily enough my DS played on Saturday, he managed to get through a whole match without biting someone. He's 12. Suarez is a moron.

HesterShaw Thu 25-Apr-13 12:43:21

Surely biting is GBH.

He should be arrested and charged.

A grown man biting another? Contemptible.

DesperatelySeekingSedatives Thu 25-Apr-13 12:48:12

I think it depends who you listen to wrt to the racism accusations tbh. You ask your average LFC fan and you can bet your life they have a totally different take on the whole shitty affair than a Man Utd fan. In much the same way a Chelsea fan would think John Terry is god while the rest of the world knows his a scuzzy rat.

As for the biting I'd say a 10 match ban was fair ONLY if it was guaranteed that if another player for another team got the same punishment for doing the same thing. But that is not the case. The FA are arseholes in that respect. I think its laughable that anyone thinks he deserves a whole life ban confused as for LFC giving him the boot they might not get a choice. If I was him I wouldnt want to play english football at all anymore. Far too many blatant double standards and favourtism going on.

HesterShaw Thu 25-Apr-13 12:49:43

Maybe there's no precedent, because not even footballers are generally big enough dickheads to BITE ANOTHER PERSON ffs.

He should be chucked out of the club.

DesperatelySeekingSedatives Thu 25-Apr-13 12:50:12

*"I must admit, when I saw it, I involuntarily told the TV screen:

"No! We don't bite: biting hurts!"

Then saw the incredulous faces of my DH and DS"*

this made me grin

HesterShaw Thu 25-Apr-13 12:51:09

grin

See? Only toddlers bite. Is this man a toddler? Well he might be mentally, but otherwise he is a grown man.

DesperatelySeekingSedatives Thu 25-Apr-13 12:56:36

Funnily enough Hester i did say to my DP about the whole thing that I didnt know they allowed toddlers to play in the Premier League hmm grin

It's not the fact he's been punished for it that irks me its that they seem to come down hard on Suarez than if another player had done this. That I find unfair.

EldritchCleavage Thu 25-Apr-13 12:57:20

I think it depends who you listen to wrt to the racism accusations tbh

No, I think it depends what the findings of the FA were. And they potted him for 8 matches. Evra is no hero (remember his fight with the Cheslsea groundsman?) but I see no cause to think Suarez suffered any kind of injustice over that one.

Tiredmumno1 Thu 25-Apr-13 13:00:59

I have to agree with some of the posters who are saying the FA have it in for him, as there wouldn't be such an uproar if players that do similar things get punished the same, taking two examples into consideration - the racism row, Terry gets a 4 match ban, Suarez an 8 match ban (how can this differ so much) and Defoe bit Mascherano and got off scott free where as Suarez gets a ban of 10 games.

The FA need to treat every player the same, not make up punishments that are different for different players.

Yes what he did was WRONG I don't think anyone is disputing that fact, it's more about the way it's handled.

FWIW I have no idea what punishment I would have handed him if it were me, but taking into account that Defoe did the same thing and nothing happened then it is actually quite a hard decision to make, the FA obviously didn't look at it like that though.

mayorquimby Thu 25-Apr-13 13:10:15

"FWIW I have no idea what punishment I would have handed him if it were me, but taking into account that Defoe did the same thing and nothing happened then it is actually quite a hard decision to make, the FA obviously didn't look at it like that though."

The fa's hands were tied by their own rules regarding matters dealt with on the pitch by the referee. As Defoe had been booked it was deemed to have been dealt with on the pitch and as such not subject to their review.
This issue was not at play in this case because the referee missed the incident.

EldritchCleavage Thu 25-Apr-13 13:14:18

Terry made one racist statement. Suarez hounded Evra with racist statements for extended parts of a match. So a bit different (I say that through gritted teeth, given how much I dislike John Terry).

I think Suarez behaved like a prick. But I also see the point that a footballer who's broken another player's leg might have got a lesser punishment. FA decisions can be inconsistent.

Also, although I love rugby, it's undoubtedly true that its players do sometimes inflict injuries. Anyone else remember Philip de Glanville nearly losing an eye in the 90s? I'm not sure if anyone got done for that.

DesperatelySeekingSedatives Thu 25-Apr-13 13:41:45

Thinking about it, Suarez aside the FA are inconsistant when dolling out punishments.

I don't think Suarez was "hounding" Evra I think they were as bad as each other. I doubt Evra used the MN mantra "did you mean to be so rude?" I bet he said a few choice things to Suarez.

EldritchCleavage Thu 25-Apr-13 13:48:39

Why are you guessing what Evra might have done, in the absence of any claim by Suarez? If Evra had racially abused him back, I expect Suarez just might have mentioned it at his FA disciplinary hearing.

MrsClown1 Thu 25-Apr-13 13:51:56

I remember when my son was little he was in a play area - as he was climbing up a ladder another child crept up behind him and bit him right on the backside. The supervisor in the play area was fuming and barred the other child from the play area and he was only 3! My child also got bitten in a shoppers creche (actually drew blood) and the parents of the child who did it was asked not to take their child to the creche again!

DesperatelySeekingSedatives Thu 25-Apr-13 14:02:22

"Why are you guessing what Evra might have done, in the absence of any claim by Suarez? If Evra had racially abused him back, I expect Suarez just might have mentioned it at his FA disciplinary hearing."

erm... I'm not hmm merely pointing out that "hounding someone" would be like relentlessly picking on them while they felt unable to defend themselves. All I said was I doubt Evra just put on a shocked and appalled expression and spouted that silly line. I thought that was obvious what I saying lol?!

I guess the local love of LFC as well as my DPs passion for the club is rubbing off on me grin coz while I agree Suarez was bang out of order biting someone I still fail to see Evra as a totally innocent party.

shellshock7 Thu 25-Apr-13 14:02:32

mayorquimby the FA couldn't give Defoe the usual 3 match ban for violent conduct as the ref had booked him...but they could give him the additional 7 match ban they have given Suarez. Suarez was given an 8 match ban for racism when this was already in the refs report of the game so it is double standards.

Ban biters for 10 games yes, but only if you are goin to ban them all.

melika Thu 25-Apr-13 14:05:45

I'm sure if they 'investigate' it properly they would find him innocent just like that incident with John Terry?

Seriously though, he deserved it, the twat!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now