Note: Please bear in mind that whilst this topic does canvass opinions, it is not a fight club. You may disagree with other posters but we do ask you please to stick to our Talk Guidelines and to be civil. We don't allow personal attacks or troll-hunting. Do please report any. Thanks, MNHQ.

To think that the decline of M&S began with the introduction of Per Una range...

(209 Posts)
Blowin Wed 24-Apr-13 21:50:10

I mean it all just went so downhill from then on....imo.

Nanny0gg Thu 25-Apr-13 10:41:35

Can anyone link this thread to their facebook page? Maybe they'll take more notice of this than my rants individual complaints.

Sugarice Thu 25-Apr-13 10:42:28

Fuck me Marmalade that first dress is quite possibly the worst dress I've ever laid my eyes on, it's foul, where's the shape.

Even Myleene Klass couldn't make that work! grin

HoHoHoNoYouDont Thu 25-Apr-13 10:43:42

That second dress is ok, it's monochrome which is in and I've seen similar in other shops. The problem is the length, they should have kept it knee length.

Nanny0gg Thu 25-Apr-13 10:44:03

Please note that it is the 'Classic' collection, but they've used a model under the age of 70!!

MarmaladeTwatkins Thu 25-Apr-13 10:46:18

Yes, monochrome is in and that's where the success of that particular frock ends!

M&S can't do maxi dresses. They're either flapping about the ankles, so they're "frump" length rather than maxi length or look like they've been stolen from the wardrobe of Space Precinct.

Pandemoniaa Thu 25-Apr-13 10:47:20

They used to be a place where you could buy good quality basics year after year. A white shirt? A lambswool jumper? Black work trousers?

This. It was one of their strengths since you could guarantee that you'd find a good range of basic items in sensible "true" colours too. Not the bizarre not quite navy or boily orange red versions.

Quite how anyone would want to wear their current offerings, defeats me.
This is a particularly depressing example

MarmaladeTwatkins Thu 25-Apr-13 11:01:02

"Showcasing Twiggy's signature sense of fun and fashion, Twiggy for M&S Woman is a modern collection of wardrobe-building pieces with stunning attention to detail, beautiful fabrics and flattering lines"

Sense of fun and fashion?

O RLY????

AlnwickRose Thu 25-Apr-13 11:14:13

I think it's quite good for women in their 60's who want to feel a bit Gok Wanned, i.e. my mum.

Pandemoniaa Thu 25-Apr-13 11:15:33

Ahem. I am nearer 60 than I am 50. I would rather boil my own head than be fooled that wearing the current range of M & S clothes would do anything other than make me look ghastly.

Almostfifty Thu 25-Apr-13 11:21:46

I was in there ready to spend money last weekend. I came out with stockings. That was it.

Awful, just awful.

And don't get me started on the bras. Why would you want a padded bra when you're already at least a D cup? Just why?

themaltesecat Thu 25-Apr-13 11:25:18

The second dress (monochrome) is decent.

The best is simply baffling.

themaltesecat Thu 25-Apr-13 11:25:28

rest, even.

Fillyjonk75 Thu 25-Apr-13 11:29:36

I thought the Per Una range was reasonably priced, up to date and a bit different when I first got stuff from there in my twenties in about 2004. Then I didn't get anything from there for a while, got vouchers from work and went to spend it in there, about 3 years later. Had about £65 in vouchers and thought I might get a skirt and top. All the skirts were at least £80, I didn't like any of them, and the quality looked worse than Primark. I ended up buying food.

That's been my experience of M&S ever since in the women's range, overpriced, frumpy, poor quality. The children's clothing is unreliable, whereas it used to be a benchmark for quality, reliability and good value. I do buy the children's clothes sometimes but online only as I need to read the reviews first.

Personally I think the rot set in in the 90s or whenever they binned the St Michael, made in England standard.

Fillyjonk75 Thu 25-Apr-13 11:31:11

You go to Sainsbury's if you want to be Gok Wanned.

MarmaladeTwatkins Thu 25-Apr-13 11:41:58

I most certainly do NOT want to be Gok Wanned wink

What does he actually do? Trusses you up in a fitted "office" dress that makes walking a virtual impossibility,Whacks you in some tottering high-heels, puts a thick belt round the waist and gives you a terrible haircut. Bad times.

thenightsky Thu 25-Apr-13 11:46:41

Gok makes women look like blokes in drag. He's a one-trick pony.

orangeandlemons Thu 25-Apr-13 11:46:57

I used to be an art teacher and I wouldn't be seen dead in bloody Per Una. It is a crime against design!

FreshLeticia Thu 25-Apr-13 11:47:49

The sad thing is that Matalan have now got their own Per Una copy in the 'Soon' range. It's like Per Una on speed. Truly hideous!

Per Una wasn't too bad when it first came out, I still have a couple of bits from then, but they weren't frilly.

On the other hand, those who are bigging up the menswear range are quite right, DH even looks slightly trendy in their stuff these days.

Gerrof Thu 25-Apr-13 11:48:00

Gok Wan hates women, especially fat ones. You can see it on his face.

That said some of the Sainsburys clothes are pretty good. I have got a dress from there and it makes me look thinner than anything else I own <shallow>

Well that's an epiphany. Recommending Sainsburys clothes.

Gerrof Thu 25-Apr-13 11:49:28

I have got a per una wool dress which I bought about 5 years ago, it's actually very nice, I wear it still. It didn't used to be that bad.

Matalan is beyond the pale. I never see anything in there which doesn't look like it belongs on a market stall.

OhLori Thu 25-Apr-13 11:52:13

The links are very funny indeed. If I knew how do it, I would do a few of my own. How I sniggered at OhMyEyes. Yes, there are some really bad, sad and even funny things confused on their website. I knew their stuff had not been great the last few months, but often in Spring they pull a few lovely items off, but I saw nothing.

I feel a bit sad tbh. Even if their own fault. Another little sad face.

MarmaladeTwatkins Thu 25-Apr-13 11:52:37

Oh God, really, Gerrof? I am saddened by this. <disappointed face>

Whenever I peruse the rails of TU at Sainsbury's, I could weep. Is this what they think women like? Lots of cardigans that are long with pointy hems, lots of "jazzy" printed tops with <deep breath> elasticated bottoms and elasticated cuffs. WHY would you need elasticated cuffs?! Mid-length dresses with a bit of 'sequinning' around the v-neck in case madam fancies something a bit more glamorous for her night out at the pub quiz. Jeans that look suicidal.

It's like someone translated the menopause into clothes. grin

orangeandlemons Thu 25-Apr-13 11:52:38

I think Matalan and M and S are nearly the same. At least Matalan sells cheap crap. M and S sells the same crap at 3x the price. But, the clothing is quite similar....and just don't start me on their older girls range...l trashy and tarty in crappy fabrics

orangeandlemons Thu 25-Apr-13 11:53:59

..and forgot to post earlier, that fireworks cardigan is possibly the worst thing I have ever seen. Are they really expecting to sell it?

Pandemoniaa Thu 25-Apr-13 11:55:01

Elastic, apart from in one's knickers, should be banned. It flatters nobody, regardless of what size you are.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now