Note: Please bear in mind that whilst this topic does canvass opinions, it is not a fight club. You may disagree with other posters but we do ask you please to stick to our Talk Guidelines and to be civil. We don't allow personal attacks or troll-hunting. Do please report any. Thanks, MNHQ.

To think that the decline of M&S began with the introduction of Per Una range...

(209 Posts)
Blowin Wed 24-Apr-13 21:50:10

I mean it all just went so downhill from then on....imo.

Finola1step Wed 24-Apr-13 23:35:17

Am off to look for more horrors on their website.

HoHoHoNoYouDont Wed 24-Apr-13 23:36:05

I remember seeing a programme once about the Per Una launch. The styles were ok at the very beginning but as that link to the skirt shows, they're frigging shocking now! They've totally lost direction.

I love the food and home stuff, they are good quality but the designers in women's wear need a shake up.

ElectricSheep Wed 24-Apr-13 23:37:34

I love this one. It's very speeeeeziale <boak>

ElectricSheep Wed 24-Apr-13 23:39:35
Blowin Wed 24-Apr-13 23:40:35

Its sad really, because they used to be such a great shop. All through my childhood and up to around 10 years ago, i bought loads of clothes there, they were well designed, and of good quality. How did they manage to start getting it so wrong when they had a winning formula? Is it because as Hollyberry said upthread they outsourced design and manufacturing out of Britain, presumably to increase and maximise profit, but in fact that has resulted in massive loss of profit instead.

HoHoHoNoYouDont Wed 24-Apr-13 23:40:46

grin Electric. I almost linked that too but this is even worse.

HoHoHoNoYouDont Wed 24-Apr-13 23:41:46
HoHoHoNoYouDont Wed 24-Apr-13 23:43:28

That cardy looks more like a pyjama top.

Repeatedlydoingthetwist Wed 24-Apr-13 23:48:46

Jesus H. Christ, Electric is that an actual cardigan?! That they actually sell?!!

TheCraicDealer Wed 24-Apr-13 23:51:48

Two words sum up my thoughts on Per Una- handkerchief hems * shudder * My mum, always entranced by the words "further reductions" has bought various heinous items over the years. Peasant blouses, odd knitwear that's so holey Kurt Cobain would've thought twice about wearing it, white trousers with a "Moll Flanders" criss-cross leather thong fly....gah!

I'm also in my mid twenties and actually do like M&S, apart from Per Una. Where else can you get decent work shoes in half sizes for under £25, that don't fall apart? Like the basic cardies and plain black skirts and trousers for work. They're decent value and mine are still going strong after getting washed on an almost weekly basis for 2 years.

Thank god they got rid of Twiggy though- iirc her range had some stuff that rivalled Per Una in terms of sheer ugliness.

nancy75 Wed 24-Apr-13 23:56:01

I think the first per una range was designed by George from asda, but they lost him fairly quickly and they now seem to have mad art teachers in his place

OhLori Thu 25-Apr-13 01:49:13

Can I speak up for Per Una?! I think they used to do some beautiful stuff, I would even get a bit excited at some of the colours /designs as I approached them, even if I couldn't afford them.

But there has been nothing recently, as per the rest of M&S clothing, though I do sometimes like their boys' stuff. I went into a big M&S last week and failed to be excited by anything at all. Everything was BHS-bland.

That cardigan is just wow ElectricSheep, a conversation-stopper, though eerily reminds me a little of a tank-top I once had blush

OhLori Thu 25-Apr-13 01:53:15

How about these shoes? http://www.marksandspencer.com/Footglove-Original-Leather-Trouser-Shoes/dp/B00425ONCA?ie=UTF8&ref=sr_1_5&nodeId=2414502031&sr=1-5&qid=1366851061&pf_rd_r=1T96AQPQFBD3BZCYPQHN&pf_rd_m=A2BO0OYVBKIQJM&pf_rd_t=301&pf_rd_i=0&pf_rd_p=321381407&pf_rd_s=center-3

OhLori Thu 25-Apr-13 01:53:32

oops sorry, can't post links!

TheDoctrineOfSnatch Thu 25-Apr-13 07:40:13

Do you think it's our fault? We link to all these yuck things, loads of people click and M&S think the items are popular?

Sparklingbrook Thu 25-Apr-13 07:41:39

They should realise we click but we don't buy. grin

jaggythistle Thu 25-Apr-13 09:29:29

brambly my MIL buys me Per Una too. Luckily she knows I am not a ruffle person and gets quite plain stuff. I'm 35. . .

Omnishambolic Thu 25-Apr-13 09:37:34
MarjorieAntrobus Thu 25-Apr-13 10:00:13

They used to be a place where you could buy good quality basics year after year. A white shirt? A lambswool jumper? Black work trousers? Nothing was remarkably stylish but it was good quality and it lasted well.

Now they feel the need to keep adding weird frayed sequinny applique shizzle.

And they scatter things willy nilly around the store.

Speaking as a bloke, I never used to shop at M&S. Used to find their menswear dull, uninspiring and naff. Now I buy quite a lot there and most of my female friends agree that their mens stuff has improved enormously at the same time the womens has gone off the boil.

MarmaladeTwatkins Thu 25-Apr-13 10:23:25

Per Una started off not too badly. I remember buying a really nice denim mini skirt from the Brighton branch about 10 years ago...

Sparkling, what about the M&S situation in the Mezza?! shock Get this, Mumsnetters... in my local shopping centre, M&S is spread out over TWO massive shops! Wimmin, kids and foods in one, then a few minutes walk-away, you will find another massive M&S stocking menz and home things. It's ridiculous. Christmas is the worst. You might think "Oh I'll buy Aunty Gladys a nice tea cosy from M&S" so you get the tea cosy from the home shop but if you want any GD wrapping paper well, you will have to schlep over to wimmins and food <cries and shops in TK Maxx inxtead>

MarmaladeTwatkins Thu 25-Apr-13 10:27:49
MarmaladeTwatkins Thu 25-Apr-13 10:36:11

In defence of Per Una, their Roma jeans are the only ones that fit me. I have recently been for a restock. Also bought three tunic tops (bit of a White Stuff rip off - cheaper and poorer quality). I've always rather liked Per Una, but then I am a librarian, so I probably fit into the art teacher type demographic that they are trying to appeal to! wink

margaritathatcher Thu 25-Apr-13 10:40:12

A good start would be to sort their online ordering out.

I don't know how many times I have ordered things only to have the order/item cancelled because it's out of stock when they come to despatch it. How bloody infuriating is that?! I sent a complaint to customer services and got a stock response back. They need to start listening to their customers.

I used to think they were up there with John Lewis but not any longer. No staff, crappy service and changing rooms like the rest of the sodding high street.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now