Note: Please bear in mind that whilst this topic does canvass opinions, it is not a fight club. You may disagree with other posters but we do ask you please to stick to our Talk Guidelines and to be civil. We don't allow personal attacks or troll-hunting. Do please report any. Thanks, MNHQ.

to think Primark is the nearest thing to hell?

(164 Posts)
JennifersBody Wed 24-Apr-13 18:21:09

Always packed with people. Every time I enter it there is always someone having an argument, or shouting something.

I will trip over at least three pushchairs, and have a couple more rammed into my ankles.

It will take forever to squeeze past the vast amount of people in the aisles.

We will get shoved and bumped - never get an apology.

If you want to try something on prepare to lose a good portion of your day, if you decide to buy it you will lose the other portion of your day.

All I wanted was a pair of jeans.

thebody Wed 24-Apr-13 18:49:42

Get a grip!

Our local primark is lovely, neat, clean and definatly not a jumble sale. The summer clothes out now are well made and pretty. Unlike the hideous shite in M&S now.

Think it depends on your local store.

My ideas of hell is Ikea, the furniture is cheap crap and insult to injury you have to practically make it yourself.

Disney land is the work of the devil.

Sparklingbrook Wed 24-Apr-13 18:51:44

I agree thebody, our local one is very nice but the one at the nearest soulless mahoosive shopping mall is always hideous.

The nice one used to be a BHS. My Mum is still in mourning. sad

ShellyBoobs Wed 24-Apr-13 18:53:45

Our local primark is lovely...

Unlike their deadly sweatshop factories churning out the utter shite at the prices demanded by the customers.

Many people have been killed today when one of Primark's factories in Bangladesh collapsed.

sad

I looked at kids clothes in there today, there was perhaps one dress that I would have got for my daughter, the rest of them were the kind of thing that she will want to wear when she is fourteen, but she's not fourteen, she's eight!
There were some cheap throws, very suited to being thrown on the bed where the dog tends to sleep.

Eh, we went to the one in Stratford this summer and bought union flag tshirts as a souvenir for my kids (we live in the US). It wasn't crazy busy. They fit just fine and have held up well in the wash for the last nine months.

thebody Wed 24-Apr-13 18:58:13

Shelly.. The op wasn't posing an ethical debate. I just answered her question.

And if we are being honest here lots of stores not just primark have been implicated in 'sweat shop scandles'

You don't have to go to Pakistan to see it either.

Soho road in handsworth Birmingham is pretty bad too.

ShellyBoobs Wed 24-Apr-13 19:14:07

I don't think workers in fucking Birmingham have this sort of shit to deal with.

angry

www.channel4.com/news/bangladesh-building-collapse-dhaka-killed-factories

Sparklingbrook Wed 24-Apr-13 19:18:52

Shelly why don't you start a thread about it? Have an ethical debate on it?

I hate primark. I buy shoes/accesories from there but thats it.

I've never bought for the kids from there <my own childhood involved c and fecking asad long story> but 2 weeks ago dd left her hoody on the bus and i said yo my mum ''have a look in primark it'll only be 4/5 quid'' .... £8 for a flipping primark jumper feck that! I admit i got the rage then went to markies and got a lovely hoody on sale for £4 grin

My mum was embarrassed but i always thought primark was cheap? They've got a high opinion of themselves at the prices i seen and the quality was shocking hmm

thebody Wed 24-Apr-13 19:35:55

Shelley you may be right but that wasn't the ops thread was it?

thebody Wed 24-Apr-13 20:57:36

Oops as sparkling said first.

bigbuttons Wed 24-Apr-13 21:01:47

I like Primark, the one in Brighton is huge and not too stressful .I find the clothes I've got there have worn very well actually, both kids' and adults stuff. I've got chino trousers for my boys and they are fab, good quality and last easily until grown out of.

pigletmania Wed 24-Apr-13 21:04:24

Yabvvu we have a new Primark in Milton Keynes and its great, looks very upmarket, everything is ordered neatly. Love the children's clothes, love the character adult t shirts. I also lie te basic like the camis and track suit bottoms.

Don't you think places like New Look, H&M, Next don't use sweatshops!

HollyBerryBush Wed 24-Apr-13 21:06:09

Depends on the Primark - if it's in a nicer area, they are generally better. Ours is hell on earth, aisles too close together, 4 million 12yo's trying to by hair bows and the like, however if I go over to Lakeside, it's very spacious and not very populated

macreturnofthe Wed 24-Apr-13 21:07:26

i have been in primark once - managed 5 minutes before it was clear this was a place of awfulness.

i will never return ever - shit hole of a place, with clothes and layout which makes your eyes bleed

If you go at lunch time or at the weekend, it is hideous. Off peak is fine.

Mind you, ours is newly done up so the layout is decent.

pigletmania Wed 24-Apr-13 21:09:02

The one in Northampton on the other hand is awful

NuhichNuhaymuh Wed 24-Apr-13 21:10:42

Shellybob, do you have the same rage for Monsoon and Benetton?

Primary Brighton is ok, and the quality of the clothes is fine, for children it is actually good. I have clothes that I bought there years ago and they still look fine.

primark

BuggedByJake Wed 24-Apr-13 21:27:49

Yanbu and its full of shit quality clothing so I see no reason to go in.

gazzalw Wed 24-Apr-13 21:28:40

DW goes first thing in the morning and it seems quiet....

Sparklingbrook Wed 24-Apr-13 21:28:43

Some of the stuff is fine quality wise. confused

Tryharder Wed 24-Apr-13 21:32:54

The one in Harrogate is quite nice. But it is tat. You get what you pay for. I don't like the children's clothes personally as I hate slogan-y things but I would imagine its great for older kids and teenagers.

Sparklingbrook Wed 24-Apr-13 21:34:44

DS1 (13) loves Primark.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now