Interview requirements

(41 Posts)
SlumberingDormouse Wed 24-Apr-13 16:13:00

I have a final round interview on Friday morning. I have literally just been told that I need to bring my passport PLUS two other forms of ID with my address on! As I am a recent graduate living alone in my dad's house (he lives abroad) I literally have nothing. Mobile phone bill is not acceptable apparently... And I turned off paper statements on my (only) bank account years ago. Utility bills etc obviously aren't in my name. I have no idea what I'm going to do and I'm really panicking. Passport and birth certificate (I don't drive) are probably the best I can do. I have been to several final round interviews but have never been asked for anything like this much ID, especially not at such short notice! Any ideas? Of course I'll do the best I can as I really want the job, but are these requirements unreasonable?

hugoagogo Wed 24-Apr-13 21:18:53

Oh that's a shame I didn't look at that list, we accept them when people are applying for a bus pass.

AaDB Wed 24-Apr-13 21:28:28

This level of identity check seems to be standard and is over the top in my opinion. I think a passport and proof of address should be enough for the interview stage.
I am asked employed and have a new relevant certificate from Disclosure Scotland. My potential employer says they will request another if I'm successfulhmm confused.
It is crazy and a waste of money. There may well be a minimum check list and they won't interview you if you don't meet that standard. I think you'll be ok with the 3 things you suggest. Good luck.thanks

I think their HR might have an issue with them refusing to interview you if you don't have them with you, so I doubt that will happen.

If they haven't told you it's for DBS then you have no way of reasonably knowing which documents are acceptable. In that case I'd take in an online print out, prescriptions, anything I had that fit their instructions. Part of my job is validating DBS ID, and I also prefer people bringing in too much ID. That said, we give everyone plenty of warning, and clear instructions about which ID we want. grin

Good luck for tomorrow.

HollyBerryBush Thu 25-Apr-13 06:39:24

It is a bit daft, my 17yo is being asked to bring the same into Connexions for apprenticeship interviews.

NickNacks Thu 25-Apr-13 06:42:25

Just as an aside- you still have register as self employed with HMRC and complete a self assessment each year even if you earn below the threshold. How do you pay your national insurance?

ParadiseChick Thu 25-Apr-13 06:59:38

What Nick said. You still need to register as self employed with the tax! How do people not know this?

What about any insurance etc regarding your self employment?

RichManPoorManBeggarmanThief Thu 25-Apr-13 07:44:53

I think it's about preventing identity theft isn't it? Pretty standard in financial services roles just to prove that you are who you say you are.

Mrsdavidcaruso Thu 25-Apr-13 08:03:20

Actually you do NOT need to show a passport at interview stage in fact you do NOT have to have a passport to get job in this country if you have the ID requirements laid down by the border agency from their list B which gives an employer the 'excuse' to employ you.

I dont have any photo ID yet have no problem in getting a job the poster who checks DBS documents should be able to verify this as there are clear guidelines on what to do if a person cannot produce documents from their group one list which includes photo ID.

AaDB Thu 25-Apr-13 08:16:09

If you don't have a passport you should ask for advice regarding a suitable alternative. I work work public sector and universities and for the last six months I have been required to provide suitable documents at interview stage. Organistions will have their own protocol; i have seen people turned away for not having the right documentation. The DBS process has been a separate check later in the process.

At an interview last week, my own certificate was not acceptable and I was required to complete another application. My potential employer/client will pay for the second application. I have a regular client that I have worked with for almost 17 years. I am required to bring a valid dbs certificate, passport and birth certificate on my first day of work.

Some type of identity check is required. This process is cumbersome and a waste of money imho.

SlumberingDormouse Thu 25-Apr-13 08:27:09

I have now found a list (hidden in all the email attachments) stating exactly what ID is and isn't acceptable. It's the most stringent I've ever seen but I think I can do it; voting poll cards are on there, interestingly. I'm going to go home today and sort through all my papers but I think I can find enough and am feeling better about it. As for the self-employed thing, I had no idea! I literally earn about £100 a week part-time so had no clue I had to register.

SlumberingDormouse Thu 25-Apr-13 08:31:48

I've just looked on HMRC website and I've only been working this job for a couple of months so past tax shouldn't be an issue. I'll definitely look into registering for this current tax year though so thank you for bringing it to my attention.

SlumberingDormouse Thu 25-Apr-13 08:34:36

And I'm under the threshold for paying any NI too, but I think I'm still going to register so thanks.

NickNacks Thu 25-Apr-13 11:38:41

You maybe under the class 4 NI threshold but not class 2. Or you need to declare low income and get an exemption certificate.

I'm really shocked how many people think you can just work and not declare it.

sashh Thu 25-Apr-13 13:33:20

I feel a little miffed as this is a graduate role (pretty much) so I can't believe my situation is that uncommon.

All employers have to prove that they have checked that you have a right to work in this country. A passport is the best evidence.

Is it for a bank or something? They might look up your credit history for certain roles

lljkk Thu 25-Apr-13 13:52:37

I'm really shocked how many people think you can just work and not declare it.

Very common view, though.

I would have thought OP's birth certificate (long form?) and the polling card thing would be good enough (I used polling card for a job I applied for weeks ago).

lljkk Thu 25-Apr-13 13:53:15

In other countries people who earn under the tax threshold may not have to declare, it's complicated.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now