Note: Please bear in mind that whilst this topic does canvass opinions, it is not a fight club. You may disagree with other posters but we do ask you please to stick to our Talk Guidelines and to be civil. We don't allow personal attacks or troll-hunting. Do please report any. Thanks, MNHQ.

Parents parking in my space on school run.

(208 Posts)
MNBlackpoolandFylde Wed 24-Apr-13 13:47:22

A car park space comes with my house, its marked with my house number there are signs up saying private land do not park. They can't put bollards up as business next door has two spaces for customers.

Every morning and night parents park there for up to twenty minutes plus waiting for children.

This means if i come back in the car i have to park three streets away then move it back onto my space which i pay for when they are gone. this is annoying enough but last week my disabled DM had to park 10 minutes walk away as someone was in the space.

School have sent a letter home, council wont do anything as its private land, landlord has put signs up.

I wouldn't mind but they drive dangerously, pull into car park at speed, park on double yellow lines.

What can i do if anything?

greenformica Thu 25-Apr-13 19:04:52

block them in and leave a note on the windscreen 'this parking place belongs to number 7' Then be very slow to move your car so they can get out.

greenformica Thu 25-Apr-13 19:27:54

I think the head should stand by the car parking spot at pick up time for a few days. He probably could resolve the issue if he pulled his finder out.

Every time someone blocks you in, email the head the details (with photo if you can).

Corriewatcher Thu 25-Apr-13 19:35:20

Some of the mums at DD's school have complete brass necks when it comes to parking. Things got so bad the school asked any neighbours with complaints to take photos of offenders parking over driveways etc, and they were going to email them round to all parents to name and shame. Doesn't sound like your school would be so hardline, but maybe you should take up the suggestion earlier of posting photos on FB and asking your friends to share so it goes viral.

Fluffy1234 Thu 25-Apr-13 19:41:52

My DS's school started naming and shaming bad and dangerous parkers in the monthly newsletter by printing the number plates and description of the car. That definitely seemed to help.

Sparklingbrook Thu 25-Apr-13 19:44:32

At DSs First School the Head would not get involved at all in the parking debacle that went on twice a day. Except to put 'please park considerately' in every newsletter.

LaGuardia Thu 25-Apr-13 20:20:55

I wouldn't complain to the school. Why is it their problem to sort out? These people could quite easily be using the business premises next door anyway.

i agree. there's not much the school can do.

i do think the wheel clamping is a good idea. they'll stop pretty sharpish.

giveitago Thu 25-Apr-13 21:22:38

Oh Op and others -well I've lived here for 10 years. first 3 had no idea as at work 24/7 only when stopped to have baby saw the shite. I live in block of flats - low rise and comprising of three blocks with drive up the middle - PRIVATE DRIVE. And there's also a back block of garages with parking onto another road.

The first issue was that an elderly neighbour was telling a man he shouldn't park there. He was telling her 'f'off' - I was horrified so ran to her aid. The man still parked there day after day. So I informed the school. Same stuff. Kept informing them - they were getting bored of me. Numerous incidences since including the day before my ds was scheduled to be induced - couple of children on our land banging footballs against my door - I go out - am abused by the mother. Nice. When ds was 2 I had to block another man in my parking - he went ballistic and he threatened to kill me - he was a governor of the school. Also nice

DS and I on foot outside our door trying to cross the road and school driver trying to nudge us out of the way to get into our drive. My dh has actually had to adjust his working patterns as to not get home at that time as he needs to keep driving around the block until all the school runners have finished parking either across on in our space.

School know, council know. They do nothing and are increasing the problem.

I've given up. I don't anticipate anyone doing anything (as they do it all the time) but if I'm out and about and I encounter I give them some choice words. My only recompense is that I can give them some grief, sometimes. I am not ashamed - they deserve it.

We also have people stomping past my flat through as a back way to another street. It is private property. Stomping up my path that leads to my home - dropping litter. I've had tutt tutting from school mum's when I slowed down on my own path with my pram to my own front door for holding them up and they 'shock horror' have to then tread on the grass (on private land) to get past me. On one ocassion one woman was so angry with me she got her little boy (at the school) to knock my washing over at the back. The most hilarious one was when my dh was woken up the sounds of massive laughter and yelling. Looks out our window and there were 3 mums outside our door sitting on our bench we put outside our home for a party we had the week before having a preschool gossip! Not joking.

You might be wondering where I live. I live in an affluent area near a v. good school. Parents are professional people in most cases.

So OP - this is just one manifestation of people's entitlement that is sadly being playing out on your drive. Unless you can get our immediate community together to give these people a nasty shock there is very little you can do that won't cause you grief and upset.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now