Parents parking in my space on school run.

(208 Posts)
MNBlackpoolandFylde Wed 24-Apr-13 13:47:22

A car park space comes with my house, its marked with my house number there are signs up saying private land do not park. They can't put bollards up as business next door has two spaces for customers.

Every morning and night parents park there for up to twenty minutes plus waiting for children.

This means if i come back in the car i have to park three streets away then move it back onto my space which i pay for when they are gone. this is annoying enough but last week my disabled DM had to park 10 minutes walk away as someone was in the space.

School have sent a letter home, council wont do anything as its private land, landlord has put signs up.

I wouldn't mind but they drive dangerously, pull into car park at speed, park on double yellow lines.

What can i do if anything?

HormonalHousewife Wed 24-Apr-13 14:28:53

Someone once recommended a knob of vaseline thrown onto the windscreen. Looks innocent enough but when enough the wipers are activated a lovely big smear

<whistles nonchalently...>

everlong Wed 24-Apr-13 14:30:01

Love that Vaseline suggestion.

Backinthebox Wed 24-Apr-13 14:30:38

Parking school run arseholes will be arseholes whatever the school does though. I used to live down a private gravel track (700m away from the school) that was so secluded even the new postman had trouble finding it. The school had put bollards out all round the local streets so certain parents had to find somewhere else to park. I regularly had shouty words with a woman who couldn't see why I was getting so het up with her for trespassing on my drive and blocking my garage, as she was Picking Her Child Up From School - as though that gave her the right to park anywhere.

flowery Wed 24-Apr-13 14:31:33

Definitely don't park three streets away. Park behind them blocking them in, and take your time moving it when they ask. And get one of those pop up bollards to put in your space.

fluffyraggies Wed 24-Apr-13 14:32:25

A sign up warning of clamping will deter them maybe? I realise it's illegal to actually clamp - but they might not grin

I'll bet it's only the same 2 or 3 people parking in your space.

I like the bollard idea. The only thing is although the bollard itself is only £44, you'd have to get a whole made in the tar mac wouldn't you? To sink it in? Who would you approach to do that?

fluffyraggies Wed 24-Apr-13 14:33:41

Whole? ha ha hole.

heronsfly Wed 24-Apr-13 14:33:47

I get this too, one mum parks across the driveway to our garage, every single day, if we ask her to move she sighs, pulls forward and sits there till we have driven in or out, then backs up again, i cant believe the cheek of some people YADNBU.

Theas18 Wed 24-Apr-13 14:36:38

Write " please do not park in my private parking space" in lippy on the windscreen?

How annoying!

I'd go with blocking them in, even if it's just by you in a deckchair, but also figure out something more permanent because even if you shift the ones doing it now, there will be more in the future.

MNBlackpoolandFylde Wed 24-Apr-13 14:37:01

When we moved the house next door was a house not a business and there were bollards up.

Thanks for all the advice, I have challenged people, they don't give a shit, the last person challenged had a complete strop because I wasn't using it so they didnt see the problem. I mentioned parking on their drive when they weren't using it...

Theas18 Wed 24-Apr-13 14:37:01

Vaseline is more stealthy though!

MNBlackpoolandFylde Wed 24-Apr-13 14:39:05

There are five massive signs up saying private land, trespassers will be fined/clamped.

Isn't the vaseline thing vv dangerous? A smeary windscreen whilst driving outside a school? sad

diddl Wed 24-Apr-13 14:40:05

Is it possible to park across without blocking the road?

MNBlackpoolandFylde Wed 24-Apr-13 14:40:26

grin at Vaseline. There's cctv at back though...

Last Resort stand in the space.

MNBlackpoolandFylde Wed 24-Apr-13 14:43:14

No diddl without blocking everyone else in who lives there too. Basically there's a line of houses with no gardens and the car park space is right in front of house so its like a drive but with no fencing. At end there is a small entry.

fluffyraggies Wed 24-Apr-13 14:43:38

So what is the procedure for the fining and clamping OP?

Is it the council who put up the signs?

Wibblypiglikesbananas Wed 24-Apr-13 14:44:19

Firstly, I feel your pain! This used to happen in the car park attached to the block I lived in. We bought a flat plus a parking space (at a hefty premium) but lots of people along the road would tell their friends and relatives to use said 'car park' when they visited! They just couldn't understand that it was the equivalent to their drives and I'm sure they would have had something to say if I'd left my car there!

I used to work shifts, including nights, and would often come home to find some random vehicle in my space, meaning I had to find a street where on street parking was allowed, often a good walk away, and then move my car back when it was gone. Bloody annoying!

Anyway - positive steps:

1) Install big, very clear signs (our freehold did this) saying private, CCTV in operation etc.
2) Report anyone who parks there who has a trade vehicle to their company. British Gas once parked in my space to visit a house down the road!
3) Involve your local PCSO - ours was very helpful and said that he had the power to issue offenders with something to do with antisocial behaviour, as that's what he classed it as.
4) Do to be afraid to tell people to move. I used to be all non confrontational - and it got me nowhere. One night I came home and there was a car in my space and I literally sat and blasted my horn until the particular neighbour who had decided to dump his car there woke and up came to see what the commotion was about. Now, I do recognise that this was grossly inconsiderate to everyone else on the street but it was 1am and I was heavily pregnant. There was no way I was walking the streets on my own at that time.
5) Write signs and stick them to windscreens with super sticky tape. I once put six signs on a car, each attached with four pieces of tape. I hope it took whoever it was a whole to remove.

I know this all sounds a bit crazy but seriously, why are some people of the mindset that this is ok?! School or not - they could buy a house with a drive close by if they wanted to. They are effectively stealing your property!

fluffyraggies Wed 24-Apr-13 14:45:14

I think it's going to have to be a physical barrier that only you can move .... ie bollard.

So bloody annoying that you'll have to go to the expense of that.

Fillyjonk75 Wed 24-Apr-13 14:45:30

I'd print up some signs to tape to the windscreen.

"WARNING - THIS VEHICLE IS PARKED IN A PRIVATE PARKING PLACE - ANY FURTHER INFRINGEMENT WILL RESULT IN REMOVAL OF THE VEHICLE."

Doesn't matter if it isn't true.

EasilyBored Wed 24-Apr-13 14:45:39

Just block them in with your car and walk off/go into your house. If they get out of the car to follow you, just act surprised/innocent 'oh, sorry! I was just parking as much in MY parking space as possible because some silly person has not seen the FIVE MASSIVE SIGNS pointing out it's private land. 'Fraid I've got VAIR IMPORTANT things to do now, so wont be moving my car till...oh...tomorrow afternoon maybe? You could always call and get it towed...except it's parked on it's owners land. So, hmm. GO. FUCK. YOURSELF.'
though you might want to leave the sweary bit out as that will probably get you in trouble.

Legal question - is it trespass if someone is on your private land without permission?

MNBlackpoolandFylde Wed 24-Apr-13 14:47:00

Loving the traffic cone costume!

nurseneedshelp Wed 24-Apr-13 14:47:27

I used to live opposite my dc's school sns it was a flipping nightmare!

I constantly had parents parking over the end of my drive which either blocked me in or meant I had to park a couple of streets away and walk.

It drove me bonkers and I eventually moved house!

EasilyBored Wed 24-Apr-13 14:48:04

Sorry x-post, see that you can't block them in.

Maybe do the horn-blasting thing? So cross on your behalf!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now