Parents parking in my space on school run.

(208 Posts)
MNBlackpoolandFylde Wed 24-Apr-13 13:47:22

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

CocacolaMum Wed 24-Apr-13 14:00:38

I have seen how the idiots at my DC school park - all chances of being reasonable or polite seem to fly out of the window when they spot a vacant spot. The people who bought houses near the school ALL have issues like this so when I said move? I meant it. As long as the school is there you will get arseholes on the school run.

Our school has PCSO's or traffic wardens outside the school a few times a month which is pretty useful in keeping the area clear, I was chatting to one last month who said she had issued 12 tickets on that one occasion!!!

Leave a note on the windshield... give them 2 chances and if they still park there and you can, block them in.

scarletforya Wed 24-Apr-13 14:00:53

Look at this site HormonalHousewife they have removable posts here for only €52 that's only £44 sterling.

You could keep it in your car boot OP.

CarnivorousPanda Wed 24-Apr-13 14:01:30

Try to leave the car there for a few days so they can't park?
Or get a friend to park there - to block the space.

BlueberryHill Wed 24-Apr-13 14:01:49

Get a placard and parade around the school at pick up / drop off times with the numbers / photos of the cars that are using your space.

Bastards.

HormonalHousewife Wed 24-Apr-13 14:03:32

I mean this in the kindest way but you need to toughen up a bit.

This is your space and these inconsiderate drivers are causing you considerable inconvenience.

It is a bit awkward complaining to the head regularly especially as your DD is there, but I am sure the Head would support you 100% over somebody parking in a private space on private land.

fluffyraggies Wed 24-Apr-13 14:07:45

OP i would keep asking the school to leaflet the parents about suitable parking when picking the kids up.

My neighbours and i managed to get somewhere doing this. Eventually.

The leaflets don't have to mention names, just the spot/s where illegal or inconsiderate parking is taking place. No one is going to look at them and stand in the playground and say - ''hoi! that's me parking like a c***! How dare they complain.''

They'll just quietly park elsewhere - or carry on parking there. It wont affect your kids.

School will do absolutely nothing wrt taking number plates in etc, they have absolutely no powers whatsoever. They can put it in the school newsletter, but they cannot single out individual perpetrators, nor will they challenge any parents even if proved its them doing it.

I would be blocking cars into MY space if possible, and really inconveniencing them, or otherwise just call 101 - if it's private land, then can't the offending vehicles be towed?

I'm also a fan of the VERY sticky label idea!

Dahlialover Wed 24-Apr-13 14:09:02

Find out who it is then send them an invoice.

Emily7708 Wed 24-Apr-13 14:10:08

How annoying for you. Neighbours of our nearest school eventually solved the problem by having a large sign made (white background, red capitals) saying "No school parking - security monitored - £80 penalty fine applies". It really put people off.

monsterchild Wed 24-Apr-13 14:11:14

If it's private land, can you get them towed? they are tresspassing, and doesn't that give the property owner some rights to do that?

HormonalHousewife Wed 24-Apr-13 14:11:47

Scarletfoyra thats fantastic thank you so much I am going to investigate further.

Last time we looked into this the cheapest was £500 and we really need three to 'protect' our spaces which is also on private road / land and therefore not maintained or patrolled by the council or traffic wardens.

imour Wed 24-Apr-13 14:12:24

block them in .

Callisto Wed 24-Apr-13 14:14:03

Ask them to move. If they don't, is there any way you can block them in?

HormonalHousewife Wed 24-Apr-13 14:15:13

You can arrange for cars to be towed, but really, its very expensive (waits for scarletfoyra to come up with another link) and realistically the removers would not just be able to just turn up at that magical 20 minute slot.

thefirstmrsrochester Wed 24-Apr-13 14:15:22

They moved the wheelie bins angry
Cheeky fuckers!
Block them in. It's the only way they will get the message.

WotSoFunee Wed 24-Apr-13 14:16:07

Hide in the wheelie bin wink
When they move it, jump out like a jack in the box. Chances are they won't inconvenience you again grin

EasilyBored Wed 24-Apr-13 14:16:07

Block them in. When they come and ask you to move, make them wait. Next time they do it, make them wait longer.

Utter bastards. That is so so rude. It's private land FFS. It's just as rude as if they parked on your driveway!

I would get one of those little bollards and if they park in your space, you could always put it up and and leave them stuck there. Over night.

badguider Wed 24-Apr-13 14:16:10

Don't park 3 streets away, just pull up behind the space and ask the person to move.

Be friendly but firm: "Hi, can you just wait somewhere else please? this is actually my private parking place for my house. Thanks."

BlackeyedSusan Wed 24-Apr-13 14:21:37

yes. chat to your neighbouring legal space holder. see if they mind you blocking in the illegal, parker with your car as you don't want to make it more difficult for the rightful users of the spaces to get in and out.

make big cardbord signs saying something like, too selfish to care about parking on private land and tuck them under the wiper blades... you may embarress the person into not doing it more than once.

some parents near our school park in the dentists car park rather than walk a few hundred yards.

scarletforya Wed 24-Apr-13 14:23:13

Sorry HH I don't have any links to affordable towing companies! grin Wouldn't it be great though to see their face coming back to the empty spot! grin

Sleepyfergus Wed 24-Apr-13 14:23:38

How infuriating. I cannot believe the brass neck of some folk. I love the sandwich board idea, a really heavy weighted one, but that's a major hassle for you to store I'd imagine. Also favour the vey sticky label but I honk you'd have to make sure you're not breaking the law by 'damaging' their cars. Plus if you put it in their line if sight and they tried to drive, it might cause an accident. Not directly your fault right enough but you don't want they parking or abandoning their car for longer than necessary whilst thy try to remove it. Instead how about a preprinted A3 piece of paper with large letters saying 'private space, your reg no has been taken an reported etc' and attach to windscreen with their wipers and a wee bit of Sellotape (not enough to cause damage). I would also take a photo as back up.

As for whoever posted here saying that you would have known about this when you bought the house, that's completely irrelevant and a shit answer. It's your space, and you shouldn't have to put up with this. I would keep at the school too as they have the means to communicate with parents (even the arsehole rude ones)

Good luck, I would be fuming and fed up too

BlackeyedSusan Wed 24-Apr-13 14:23:43

though with summer coming up, getting small suncream smeared children past the illegally parked car would be quite inconvenient. it is quite inconvenient to get off too.

Sleepyfergus Wed 24-Apr-13 14:24:21

I honk? I think!

bunnybing Wed 24-Apr-13 14:24:31

Have you tried looking for flint to put down? In other words stones with v sharp edges - yes, they do puncture tires.

imour Wed 24-Apr-13 14:26:24

squash past the car with a sharp object sticking out your bag .

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now